Natural Gas Heater Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the ancient natural gas heater in the farmhouse - it gets hotter than a furnace in you-know-where and when I turn the knob down just enough to where it shuts off, it won't come back on again. When I turn it up enough for it to come on, it won't shut off.
There are three heaters in the house, but the only one in use is in the kitchen for my 16 year old cat. the only occupant of the house (just the kitchen and back porch area, the rest of the house is closed off).
There is electricity, but I had the water cut off several years ago due to freezing issues.
Granted, it is extremely cold this week, next to no insulation in the house, with 9' ceilings. There is a ceiling fan in the kitchen.

I was going to call the gas company to come out and check it, maybe the thermostat is messed up?
Then I thought since it is an antique, I might be better off replacing it with a newer, and hopefully more energy efficient, version.
This one is vented with a pipe to a chimney built into the wall. I can see what looks like at least 50% of the heat rising out of the chimney from outside.
I couldn't read the serial number on the back plate, but it is an Atlanta Flame and could be 100 years old. :oops:
The other two in the house are just as old and I already swapped one several years ago for the kitchen.

It's not an emergency, but I walked back and forth last night at least a dozen times, until 1am, trying to adjust the heat. I finally turned it down and went to bed. This morning it was still off and the room was 32F. I left on an electric heater that has a temp indicator. It was reading 47 last time I checked last night.

If it wasn't for Winkey, I'd just turn off that pilot light too and forget about it. But I can't do that just yet.
Any suggestions and/or advice?
I'll go take some photos, try to get the serial#

Those old things were built to last forever. Try turning the adjustment you were talking about from min to max about 25 times, hopefully this will scratch the contact surface for it to work better.
Yep, i have done that before to clean the contacts up. even took them apart to clean them. most likely that's where the problem lies.

Those old things were built to last forever. Try turning the adjustment you were talking about from min to max about 25 times, hopefully this will scratch the contact surface for it to work better.
Are you talking about this knob?
Won't that mess something up with the flame igniting on and off so much?
It would be next to impossible to have to relight the pilot light, without calling the guy from the gas co.
knob2.jpg

Yea, that knob, you want to try and get it to scratch itself and make better contact. The pilot light should stay lit, it probably works with a thermocouple so no power needed. You can use a torch and light it again if needed.

Unless you can turn that knob where it shuts off the pilot, don't go that far.

Next time I go back to adjust the heat (shortly) I'll give it a whirl.

I've been looking at MTNG website for info on a replacement - holy crap.:surprised3: If I can't fix this one I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and do my best to keep Winkey warm with what I have.

I called MTNG to get price info after looking at empirezoneheat.com (where they get their heaters from) and she told me they only sell ventless heaters - and not as a main source of heat.
She also said they no longer install or repair vented heaters.
She did say she could send someone out to look at it, but they couldn't work on it. :dumb2:I said sure, send him out, for the heck of it. :rolleyes:

Yea, that knob, you want to try and get it to scratch itself and make better contact. The pilot light should stay lit, it probably works with a thermocouple so no power needed. You can use a torch and light it again if needed.

Unless you can turn that knob where it shuts off the pilot, don't go that far.
Just tried it, left the heat on since it hadn't come on by itself after last check.
I'll check it again in about an hour to see if it cut off on it's own.
If not I'll give the knob some more twists.
It was still 47 in there, so Winkey is okay,

You better keep Winkey cool, he might go off

machine-gun-kitty-reloaded

Just tried it, left the heat on since it hadn't come on by itself after last check.
I'll check it again in about an hour to see if it cut off on it's own.
If not I'll give the knob some more twists.
It was still 47 in there, so Winkey is okay,
How about a wood stove?

Instead of heating a room for him, what about a cat bed with a heating pad?
I considered that.
I moved an old recliner in the room for him and the electric space heater is near it.
There's also a cushy cat bed on top of the fridge (not working) that he likes to sleep on, but the outlet behind the fridge is sketchy and I don't want to use it... the whole house is sketchy if truth be known.

Latest posts

Back