Natural Gas Heater Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that worked. Thermometer on space heater says 49 and the heater was warm, but off.
I gave the knob some more twists and left it on again to see how it does.

Yay!:happybanana:
Keep moving the knob every once and a while for it to keep working. These were normally used daily, so they will corrode a bit if not used.

Keep moving the knob every once and a while for it to keep working. These were normally used daily, so they will corrode a bit if not used.
Copper or brass contacts?

I've found platinum coated relays in contactors before... long time ago. They always need a few rubs to look like new.

I'm having trouble with the ancient natural gas heater in the farmhouse - it gets hotter than a furnace in you-know-where and when I turn the knob down just enough to where it shuts off, it won't come back on again. When I turn it up enough for it to come on, it won't shut off.
There are three heaters in the house, but the only one in use is in the kitchen for my 16 year old cat. the only occupant of the house (just the kitchen and back porch area, the rest of the house is closed off).
There is electricity, but I had the water cut off several years ago due to freezing issues.
Granted, it is extremely cold this week, next to no insulation in the house, with 9' ceilings. There is a ceiling fan in the kitchen.

I was going to call the gas company to come out and check it, maybe the thermostat is messed up?
Then I thought since it is an antique, I might be better off replacing it with a newer, and hopefully more energy efficient, version.
This one is vented with a pipe to a chimney built into the wall. I can see what looks like at least 50% of the heat rising out of the chimney from outside.
I couldn't read the serial number on the back plate, but it is an Atlanta Flame and could be 100 years old. :oops:
The other two in the house are just as old and I already swapped one several years ago for the kitchen.

It's not an emergency, but I walked back and forth last night at least a dozen times, until 1am, trying to adjust the heat. I finally turned it down and went to bed. This morning it was still off and the room was 32F. I left on an electric heater that has a temp indicator. It was reading 47 last time I checked last night.

If it wasn't for Winkey, I'd just turn off that pilot light too and forget about it. But I can't do that just yet.
Any suggestions and/or advice?
I'll go take some photos, try to get the serial#
I had a similar problem on our old furnace. They have what is called a limit switch. It rotates as the plenum heats up. You can usually see it with the front cover off the furnace. Small disc with numbers and screws. You can also see it move as the furnace warms up. Once the plenum temp reaches the set threshold it shuts the gas off. When it cools back down to the low set limit, the gas comes back on. They have adjustments that can be made but they also go bad. I would not mess with the adjustments. They are usually replaceable. Find your make and model number and google it. Hope that helps. :cool: OT

I had a similar problem on our old furnace. They have what is called a limit switch. It rotates as the plenum heats up. You can usually see it with the front cover off the furnace. Small disc with numbers and screws. You can also see it move as the furnace warms up. Once the plenum temp reaches the set threshold it shuts the gas off. When it cools back down to the low set limit, the gas comes back on. They have adjustments that can be made but they also go bad. I would not mess with the adjustments. They are usually replaceable. Find your make and model number and google it. Hope that helps. :cool: OT
I've tried searching the serial number, no luck. It's ancient.
Although... I did find the ceramic bricks for these heaters are selling for good $$ on ebay. :)

That takes power to use.
Forget the limit switch. I failed to see the pic of the HEATER. It is not a furnace. It should have a fan but won't have a limit switch. It's just a space heater. Probably the thermostat which a pic was posted of. My bad for chasing you down the wrong rabbit hole. :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back