Weight of Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Reaction score
I tried the search function but couldn't find what I needed.
Can anyone tell me what the weight per cu ft is for green Oak?
I have a friend who gets 50 cu ft bundles of Oak scraps from a sawmill. These are odd length, 12" to 40" long, pieces of 10"x 12" beams.
I need to figure out how much the bundles would weigh to figure out how much I could put on my truck and trailer.
With the cost of fuel, I need to decide if I can justify buying bundles and hauling them home.

Swamp Yankee, That's exactly what I needed.
Many thanks !!!

Actually, you're talking "density". With green oak, with all the water in Northern Red Oak specifically, the density is close to double the air-dried density. Their figures are questionable with that, showing ~50% higher.

I tried the search function but couldn't find what I needed.
Can anyone tell me what the weight per cu ft is for green Oak?
I have a friend who gets 50 cu ft bundles of Oak scraps from a sawmill. These are odd length, 12" to 40" long, pieces of 10"x 12" beams.
I need to figure out how much the bundles would weigh to figure out how much I could put on my truck and trailer.
With the cost of fuel, I need to decide if I can justify buying bundles and hauling them home.

Very close to 60#/cu foot I think so your bundles ~3,000#. Cut a short chunk and throw it in a bucket of water, if it barely floats you are pushing 60

This is Red Oak, tightly packed and strapped on pallets.

I think Woody912 is right on. Your really not talking firewood by the cord. Cut off beams stacked on a pallet is something different. Cut a 1' length of beam and weigh it, then do a rough ball park calculation. I've seen numbers for green red oak as high as 5,800 lbs a cord, but again it doesn't really apply. You will weigh in much higher I'm sure.

I think Woody912 is right on. Your really not talking firewood by the cord. Cut off beams stacked on a pallet is something different. Cut a 1' length of beam and weigh it, then do a rough ball park calculation. I've seen numbers for green red oak as high as 5,800 lbs a cord, but again it doesn't really apply. You will weigh in much higher I'm sure.

per the table above: 128 cubic feet of white oak @ 41.02lbs/ft3=5250 lbs, red oak @ 44.33lbs/ft3=5674 lbs, live oak @ 60.99lbs/ft3=7806 lbs

note to self: old ratsun pickemup not suitable for carrying one cord green oak.....or dry..or even half a cord...or a third.....

;)

Hey,, good luck on that factory scrap! Not sure on cost effectiveness, but it has got to be real dang fun to split the pieces!

I've got an F350 diesel and a tandem axle trailer rated for 7,000lbs.
Considering the weight of the wood, I'm not sure this is going to be cost effective.

Thanks for all of the info!

We have a tie mill near here that lets folks load their own cut offs for 10 bucks a pickup load. I have seen some small trucks go by from there with their front wheels barely on the ground and the bed only filled to the top, no side boards.
You could put two of those pallets on your trailer, as far as cost effective, you didn't mention distance or price.

Latest posts

Back