welder selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, as I wrote a few weeks ago, I'm thinking of modifying an old splitter, or maybe start from scratch.. The old American splitter has a boxed beam measuring 6"x3"x?" didn't measure overall length. How large can I go(engine wise), or should I just buy another beam and start from scratch...? the idea is to have a heavy duty/fast unit, something like a tw-5ish type machine...

THE WELDER:....I want to purchase a heavy duty mig welder for assembly, fab purposes, any suggestions? I am thinking the Miller 252, or the Lincoln 255...I have a tig now,and small mig, but am thinking a large mig would be nice for wood splitter mods/fabs...thanks guys!!

I have used a 252 for some stuff and it always worked well for me. In my opinion you can not go wrong with the Miller.

Adam

I personally have a Miller 255 Pro Mig that has been worked hard over the years. I've used Hobarts, Lincolns, ESABs, and Millers and would pick a Miller every time. I can run .030 wire in it and weld just about anything. I have pushed .040 wire through it welding a semi frame and never had a problem. I will say the Miller DVI is one heck of a good unit. A friend in Ohio has one and I gave it a shot to see what it was like. It can't push the power in 110 but it does a fair job. Anything that requires welding something thick I would use 220 power to run it.

Be a man, run a stickr. That is if you want to hard face your splitter wedge.

Stick is cheaper to run too!

I have been pleased with my Hobart AC/DC buzz box, but spend the luche if you wanna!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You want a Lincoln 255, what I know about this is cause I weld 40+ hours a week and we have 2 of them.

I sincerely respect the opinion of those who weld for a living.

I do have to say that my experience has been that GMAW cannot penetrate as deep as SMAW. I fully understand that 99.9% of industry uses GMAW but I believe that is a speed issue not quality. I understand that my opinion will not be shared by others and that is fine.

Bill

My vote would go to a Miller, I have a 185 and love it no problems what so ever . Just my 2 cents worth
timberguy

Be a man, run a stickr. That is if you want to hard face your splitter wedge.

Stick is cheaper to run too!

I have been pleased with my Hobart AC/DC buzz box, but spend the luche if you wanna!!

Maybe you would like to come to my shop and tell the guys running MIG that they are not men. Some of those guys are going through two 44 pound spools of wire in a shift. You would get laughed out of there trying to lay down that much material with Stick. SMAW has its place and application, but there is a reason that GMAW dominates the workplace.

Would you would be more of a man if you threw down that chainsaw, grabbed a 6 foot peg and raker crosscut and went at it...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lmao !!!!!!

Maybe you would like to come to my shop and tell the guys running MIG that they are not men. Some of those guys are going through two 44 pound spools of wire in a shift. You would get laughed out of there trying to lay down that much material with Stick. SMAW has its place and application, but there is a reason that GMAW dominates the workplace.

Would you would be more of a man if you threw down that chainsaw, grabbed a 6 foot peg and raker crosscut and went at it...:hmm3grin2orange:

:deadhorse: That-a-boy! Put him in his place!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys, sounds like all the name brands are good, Miller, Lincoln, Esab, I'll check prices and go with the best bang for the buck..

I've always liked Lincoln for stick and Miller for Mig.

We used to run a couple Millermatic 350's in a shop I used to work for, kinda ruined me for anything else now. :laugh:

If you can't swing a 350 I'd say find you a good used 250 or get the 252. JMO

If you already have a DC tig machine, TIG it, or stick weld it. NO sense in buying a mig to weld a log splitter when you have a TIG/stick machine that will do the same thing. Heck, with the prices of the welders your are considering + the cost of the steel you need, hydraulic pump, motor, etc., you could justify buying the TW splitter.

I am a diehard Miller Blue guy also but i would buy what your local dealer sells that will fit the bill. No sense running all over the world looking for parts for a junk welder that you got a deal on. I made splitters years ago and most 220v migs would work well but if it was me the wedge would be welded with 7018 unless you had a big mig. I have re welded dozens of wedges over the years that have been pushed right off the beam because someone welded them with too small of welder. Now we had some big migs at work and i would weld the wedge on a heartbeat with it but its bigger than most home shops can handle. I remember running some 44# spools in 8 hours i also have done it many times...Bob

I was thinking a mig in the 250 range, powerful enought to weld a wedge? I hear you guys on using my tig for welding, but tig welding would be so slow on a splitter. I figure the new 250 welder would be a great investment for the long run...so, why is Miller the best mig, what about Lincoln, my dealer sells Miller, Lincoln, and Esab, feature for feature they are all within a $100 or so...so no big deal there...

I was thinking a mig in the 250 range, powerful enought to weld a wedge? I hear you guys on using my tig for welding, but tig welding would be so slow on a splitter. I figure the new 250 welder would be a great investment for the long run...so, why is Miller the best mig, what about Lincoln, my dealer sells Miller, Lincoln, and Esab, feature for feature they are all within a $100 or so...so no big deal there...

Your TIG welder will do stick also. If you are going to do a bunch of welding get the MIG. If not, make what you have work. I bet we have more that 50 welding units at work, 90% of them are Lincoln.

I have used all of them at one time or another and can tell you this. ESABs are built for industrial use period. They will take a beating and beg you to work them harder. When I was working for the one plant they had three ESABs hooked to the robots. They used a drum of wire every three days more or less. All the guys on the floor used Millers. Lincoln has been cheaping out as of late using aluminum to make their transformers not copper like everyone else. I do agree about using the stick option of your TIG to weld on the wedge.

So Brimmstone, would you stay away from the Lincoln 255 welder? I can buy Esab or Miller for about the same money...they are all within a few bucks of each other....?Do we know for sure that Miller and Esab are using all copper for their transformer construction?? And we are sure that Lincoln is using aluminum?? Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back