welder selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you would be more of a man if you threw down that chainsaw, grabbed a 6 foot peg and raker crosscut and went at it...:hmm3grin2orange:

My guess is yes?:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Pick one of mine :biggrinbounce2:

View attachment 76149

Least expensing way for ya is to stick weld it, stronger weld than mig, take ya a little longer though.
Forget about a mig attachment for your tig power unit, you'd have to go with a "suitcase style" feeder unit and if you ever accidently hit the high frequency switch on the tig power unit while using the mig........it's toast. (been there, done that).
Forget about the tig, unless you can get truckload pricing on tig rod?!
Paul

I just got a hobart ac dc stick 225 and I loved the three phase mig
my old company used, miller! I had to get something in my price range to
weld but it has been a long time since I have arced and My welds hold
but are not pretty :laugh: I did ok though fixed my trailer, and my bed
on my grapple truck needed mending and so far good! I built a 20 foot
ladderstand and my welds though they penetrated well and hold, look
good in some spots and not in others, I really need practice. Arc is a
good weld though and I can weld thicker material 1/2 with bevel and
much practice before I do that. I have a plate that thick I need to weld
on my grapple claw but I want to be proficient first. I am also going to
take the stand down and go back over it, I put it up and climbed it,
did fine but I want more weld in spots. I did get a good grinder a milwalkee
so it should be a breeze to grind the bad off and redo the poor welds.
I was doing ok with 6011 but ran out and all I had then was 7018 5 /16
and they did not do as good on this metal.

Last edited:
If portability is a issue check out the hh210 Its a great machine and it has a small footprint. I think your on the right track though with the units mentioned. I had a mm250x and that machine was awful ,It was the transition welder between the 200 and the 251/252. I love my small hobart and I love my miller tigs,my next machine will be the hh210,it also has a direct plug spoolgun which is a nice feature, If I were looking for a shop machine the choice would be a little more difficult, I do believe Miller/hobarts service is second to none.Good luck Chub

So when do you climb?:confused::monkey:

I climb every hour that I am not welding or sleeping, just took down a 5' Silver Maple today (used our new GRCS) and did 2 evening jobs after 10hr welding shifts. 4- 10's on the welder night's and weekends in the trees. 2-3 jobs to do tommorow depending on how it goes.

Anyways, get the mig welder (Miller or Lincoln) and use .045 flux core to weld your wedge on. We have made two splitters and this is a must, without it you could break your wedge off in really cold weather even if welded heavy and penetrated well, flux core is the answer, it will give you a mig weld comparable to a 7018 stick weld. You want this on parts that will see constant torque and flex from preasure. When you are doing everything else just use regular wire, I find .035 good for most stuff. Lincoln machines are the most user friendly, everything is setup perfect, this is due to the high $'s they spend on research and development, Miller is a good durable product, just not as fine tuned on the useability. Esab's aren't as good as these two, went through that phase years ago, got rid of all 5 of them. They sell based on price and you get what you pay for. As already stated Hobart is a cheap Miller.

Last edited:
I climb every hour that I am not welding or sleeping, just took down a 5' Silver Maple today (used our new GRCS) and did 2 evening jobs after 10hr welding shifts. 4- 10's on the welder night's and weekends in the trees. 2-3 jobs to do tommorow depending on how it goes.

Anyways, get the mig welder (Miller or Lincoln) and use .045 flux core to weld your wedge on. We have made two splitters and this is a must, without it you could break your wedge off in really cold weather even if welded heavy and penetrated well, flux core is the answer, it will give you a mig weld comparable to a 7018 stick weld. You want this on parts that will see constant torque and flex from preasure. When you are doing everything else just use regular wire, I find .035 good for most stuff. Lincoln machines are the most user friendly, everything is setup perfect, this is due to the high $'s they spend on research and development, Miller is a good durable product, just not as fine tuned on the useability. Esab's aren't as good as these two, went through that phase years ago, got rid of all 5 of them. They sell based on price and you get what you pay for. As already stated Hobart is a cheap Miller.

Ok then I remember the younger days:cheers: I guess I will have to make do with my cheap miller arc :laugh:

Latest posts

Back