Welding worn sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 986396

View attachment 986397

View attachment 986398

Not my work, came to me that way, runs surprisingly true considering.

Mark
I made sprockets for my 820 PowerBee (134cc) motors on my old Wards Chainsaw and my Alaskan style mill. I plasma cut as you did, the newer style drum to fit my older drum. I made a simple mandrel to center both pieces and then hard silver brazed them together. I Guarantee it will not come apart. I have 4’ and 6’ bars on my mill and have had zero problems. If you can gas weld, brazing is a snap. Just showing how I built my drums.
jerry-

Attachments

• 039EC96A-BC37-4162-9082-B75851867B99.jpeg
    039EC96A-BC37-4162-9082-B75851867B99.jpeg
    765.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4B9358D6-C5BF-45DD-869F-FD255F425547.jpeg
    4B9358D6-C5BF-45DD-869F-FD255F425547.jpeg
    640.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C8B1CCB1-044C-4A3B-AD0F-BF2A5D881F34.jpeg
    C8B1CCB1-044C-4A3B-AD0F-BF2A5D881F34.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 2
Interestingly,, "hard facing" welding rods do not produce a "hard weld"
They actually produce a very abrasion resistant weld,

Most applications would fail quickly if the weld metal that resulted was hard,,
it would break like glass.

I got a brand new bolt-on CAT toothbar for my tractor about a decade ago,,
after 8 hours of use, the teeth had worn away almost 1/8",,

15eAINQ.jpg

I bought some Hard Facing stick electrodes, and faced the teeth.
In the past decade of similar use, no further wear can be seen.

Here is a closeup of the teeth,, (I was putting a 200 pound vise on my workbench)

QuKT5AY.jpg

Interestingly,, "hard facing" welding rods do not produce a "hard weld"
They actually produce a very abrasion resistant weld,

Most applications would fail quickly if the weld metal that resulted was hard,,
it would break like glass.

I got a brand new bolt-on CAT toothbar for my tractor about a decade ago,,
after 8 hours of use, the teeth had worn away almost 1/8",,

15eAINQ.jpg

I bought some Hard Facing stick electrodes, and faced the teeth.
In the past decade of similar use, no further wear can be seen.

Here is a closeup of the teeth,, (I was putting a 200 pound vise on my workbench)

QuKT5AY.jpg
That’s where hard facing shines on my homemade drag behind land leveler I’m most likely going to ad som hard facing. I used older bed frame rails for the cross members(the parts that scrape the soil) and their really hard but couldn’t hurt to ad some abrasion resistance to the and the sides.
Once I bought my little Lincoln ac225 I relised how versatile a stick welder is.also have a bit of a oxy/fuel torch addiction Got 3 sets of purox heavy duty torches,a 2 foot victor cutting torch and a 3ft Harris the newest addition is the smith little torch I bought to try and learn how to weld sheet metal on body work.

mig weld spot weld type technic body work is the only way ,other wise you burn thru flux core is also a bad choice for some reason very hard to get a decent spot weld with flux core

mig weld spot weld type technic body work is the only way ,other wise you burn thru flux core is also a bad choice for some reason very hard to get a decent spot weld with flux core
I don’t have trouble with it I used it on a crappy Mazda protege my buddy had even on thin body metal I was able to get it to work with a tool every body man should have in his box a copper backer.

Back