well,I didn't buy the one with those really nice flippy caps again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arborist

arborist

ArboristSite Operative
comparing saw's the 346xp new edition with a non cat muffler seemed to be clearly the way to go,for a 50cc class saw.
well,I just went out back and cut up some sugar maple firewood.
one word to say about this saw:
wow.
decided on the all orange one again.:chainsaw:
really is quite the little dream.
thanks to all the wonderful information here,I couldn't have made a better choice,I see that now.
It's much more saw than i had expected it to be,and of course it's not even broke in yet.I'm totally going to love this saw.going to make allot of $ with this gem.
those flippy cap's will just have to wait again.:cheers:

(p.s. I got it with the standard 18" bar at only $15 bucks difference.replaceable tip and a much stronger bar with wider bar groove. I'd prefer 16" i think,but when i need it up a tree,I need the bar length.so just got the 18" for now.she has no problem handling it,and id bet she would take a 20,and still grin once broke in.)

Last edited:
Hddnis

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm slowly learning to like flippy caps. You have to pay attention to how they came out so you can line them up to get them back in.:dizzy:

The 346 sounds nice, happy for you. All the rave reviews make me want to try one someday. I have a couple friends that have them, but I won't try them. I'm afraid I'll be unable to live without it. lol

Mr. HE:cool:

arborist

arborist

ArboristSite Operative
thanks guys.
It took some work and listening to some dealers pitches with their green capped 346's lol to finally find a non cat version (and some extra driving time).
have to admit,(though frustrating at the time) how funny and uneducated some husky dealer reps are when it comes to these saws and the emissions bs.
very happy to have her in the shop all ready for action now.:greenchainsaw:

arborist

arborist

ArboristSite Operative
flippy caps are too tough, really?!?!? Come on, position, insert, turn, done. How's that too tough? You'd really rather use a scrench?

i just hand tighten my caps.never have a problem with them loosening nor seizing.
the problem with the flippies is most likely user error where the operator doesn't take the time to line them up correctly im sure.
have to admit,i was looking forward to trying them,as i never have yet.but this orange saw was just the ticket this trip so i still don't get the opportunity.
but with 3.7 hp @ just 11 lbs,I'm not crying lol.:)

Last edited:
056kid

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
:agree2:

Flippy caps rule! :rock:

nice for you homeowners, but when you cut for a living, refueling time is a time for about 1 minutes worth of recooperation and rest.(you are usually so that you can barely see straight if its summer time so cap positioning is wayyy down on the list of things to pay attension to)

FATGUY

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
nice for you homeowners, but when you cut for a living, refueling time is a time for about 1 minutes worth of recooperation and rest.(you are usually so that you can barely see straight if its summer time so cap positioning is wayyy down on the list of things to pay attension to)

with all due respect, if putting the oil cap back on is too taxing, I think you need a longer break....

FATGUY

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just hand tighten my caps.never have a problem with them loosening nor seizing.
the problem with the flippies is most likely user error where the operator doesn't take the time to line them up correctly im sure.
have to admit,i was looking forward to trying them,as i never have yet.but this orange saw was just the ticket this trip so i still don't get the opportunity.
but with 3.7 hp @ just 11 lbs,I'm not crying lol.:)

flippy caps or not, I love the NE 346xp

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
flippy caps are too tough, really?!?!? Come on, position, insert, turn, done. How's that too tough? You'd really rather use a scrench?

Scrench? You need to start using those opposable thumbs buddy!

Righty tighty, lefty loosey...

TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
For the record, I'd never pass on a quality saw just because it doesn't have flippy caps. However, I do give the engineers credit for making a tool-less part that actually works and is fairly durable.

And it's not that hard once you get used to it. You only have to match up the two notches, and the one on the saw body never changes position. If you don't match up the notches, just turn up to another 360° and it should catch. Ultimately, I think this boils down to a matter of taste (Chevy/Ford, Stihl/Husq, Ginger/Mary Ann, etc.).

Latest posts