well i finally caved.........new 550xp!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old 040

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
been wantin to snag one of these for a while now..............hope there all there cracked up to be............still got to get into the woods to get it tuned right..........will these stay tuned right after the first time, or is this the standard for for each use? (cutting for 2/3 minutes to self adjust).....................View attachment 294796..................:D

Last edited:
Just the first time but from time to time it will retune itself due to Temprature change,different fuel mix,climate,altitude and so on. Just run it about 5 minutes from the get go in long cuts and you'll be good to go.

been wantin to snag one of these for a while now..............hope there all there cracked up to be............still got to get into the woods to get get it tuned right..........will these stay tuned right after the first time, or is this the standard for for each use? (cutting for 2/3 minutes to self adjust).....................View attachment 294796..................:D

Hope yours runs better than mine. Its a cold hearted beaaatch to start. Have to feather the throttle to keep it running after blipping the throttle from fast idle. Bogs down, stalls, have to restart and let it warm up for a while before it will accelerate without hesitation. I read up on it here about others having the same problem and performed the "L" screw adjustment on the carb. That didn't work. The first time my wife used it she had hot restart issues. I only have about 6 tanks through it so I hope it straightens out. If it don't, back she goes (the saw, not my wife) . Although some times I would like to take her back to her mother.

well i must be one of the lucky ones, just gave this thing a run...............yeah, i like it.................:rock:

Last edited:
Hope yours runs better than mine. Its a cold hearted beaaatch to start. Have to feather the throttle to keep it running after blipping the throttle from fast idle. Bogs down, stalls, have to restart and let it warm up for a while before it will accelerate without hesitation. I read up on it here about others having the same problem and performed the "L" screw adjustment on the carb. That didn't work. The first time my wife used it she had hot restart issues. I only have about 6 tanks through it so I hope it straightens out. If it don't, back she goes (the saw, not my wife) . Although some times I would like to take her back to her mother.

After having the carb replaced on mine (from not running at all) it starts cold or warm with no problem. I also have very good throttle response whether it has just been started or has been running awhile. Yours may have an issue. Is it like the 550 Brad posted a video of before he got his fixed?

[video=youtube;XstxCpCHszk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstxCpCHszk[/video]

Great saw, you'll like it.

Read the owner's manual regarding starting.:msp_thumbup:

I really couldnt be any happier than I am with mine. Pound for pound probably the most impressive saw I have ever ran out of the box. Very fun saw to run as well.

Back