Well, I THINK I got a quad....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size are the tires on that wheeler?

Offhand, I don't know. I would have to go look. (it is cold outside, and I am wet from working all day. It will have to wait. ;) )

Thank you all for the advice. This is the first 4x4 quad I have owned. I like it alot. Runs nice and rides nice. It does need some other things done, other than what was allready suggested. Chains need retentioned, and the rear brake pads need replaced. I also will be picking up one of those multi hitches for it so I just need to turn the receiver to change from hitch to ball.

Freemind, I've been following your posts and I'm glad you found what you wanted. 30 yrs ago I was in your shoes, feeding cattle 365, NO DAY OFF. My family lived 6 hrs away and I didn't see them for 3 yrs. Money was tight and time was tighter. Today I own that feedlot and 3000 acres that goes with it. My boss died unexpectedly in his sleep one night and there was no way I was going to work for his son and I was the only one that knew how to feed the cattle. His wife made me a partner and I ended up owning all of it 25 yrs later. I have 2 men that know how to feed cattle and I still do it myself 2 weekends a month and every other holiday.You're a good man for doing what you are doing. I'm glad you got what you wanted and could afford. I've had a lot of ATV's around here and those Polaris' are good ones. Do the maintence on it, especially that chain that runs the jackshaft, and you will get a lot of service from it.

Freemind, I've been following your posts and I'm glad you found what you wanted. 30 yrs ago I was in your shoes, feeding cattle 365, NO DAY OFF. My family lived 6 hrs away and I didn't see them for 3 yrs. Money was tight and time was tighter. Today I own that feedlot and 3000 acres that goes with it. My boss died unexpectedly in his sleep one night and there was no way I was going to work for his son and I was the only one that knew how to feed the cattle. His wife made me a partner and I ended up owning all of it 25 yrs later. I have 2 men that know how to feed cattle and I still do it myself 2 weekends a month and every other holiday.You're a good man for doing what you are doing. I'm glad you got what you wanted and could afford. I've had a lot of ATV's around here and those Polaris' are good ones. Do the maintence on it, especially that chain that runs the jackshaft, and you will get a lot of service from it.

Wow. Thank you, really. I NEVER here a positive thing from the guys I work for. Means alot coming from a fellow cattleman.

Of the five years I have worked here, I can count on two hands how many days off I have had, including vaction time. It is a thankless job, especially the guys I work for. I don't have to worry about ever owning/being a partner here. The owner allready GAVE partnership to two other of the guys (one was my direct boss).

I really like working with the cattle, but I am tired of being the whipping post. I have a life too, but you certainly couldn't tell it.

Is it safe to assume, with what you have told me, you do cow-calf? Or are you just a feedlot? How many head on premise?

If I am being too nosey, I appologize. Around here, there are no other feedlots that are our size (1500 head all the time, different ages).

in reading and learning about my new polaris sportsman, it seems to be particularly important to make sure the absolute correct fluid in the front diff/hub thingie. there seem to be more than 1 polaris fluid, with similar names, and one does not substitute for the other. the front axle is "finiky" to say the least when it comes to fluids

check out this chart. i found it very helpful
http://purepolarisoil.com/pdf/Maint_guide_ATV_2010.pdf

i had a polaris atv with the injector and one day it quit and i didnt even know it!

if it were mine i would look into an injector elimination kit and mix my own.
really though polaris makes great quads!!!!:givebeer:

Cool Freemind

I'm glad you waited and found a good machine:clap: Definitely go through and change all the fluids as you never know where it may have been. My brother drove mine through a creek and flipped it. It did not hurt anything but it got water in both differentials.

Billy

I can get away with this because it's flat where I'm working. I had to change a pair of c/v boots. Use the best oil, I have used Polaris gold since new. I don't totally trust the oil injection on this machine, so I always add a little oil to the gas when I fill it. Took this pic this morning. Doug

Back