Well I went and did it.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watchamakalit

watchamakalit

ArboristSite Operative
I ordered a Fiskars Super splitter last night. I have a hydraulic splitter but do enjoy a little hand splitting from time to time. And in really cold weather I spend more energy trying to get the splitter started than it would take to hand split. I will report back on how bad @ss the fiskars is in a few days.

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
I love mine, it will split moderate size chunks down to any size you desire. Just watch the short handle if your not used to it and elevate the wood to be split. This will help. Enjoy...:clap:

X2 on the short handle, both me and the boy have had close calls. You need to learn to use it with a wide stance. We are not splitting now and I plan to fix the handle before it gets one of us. Other than that it is an amazing tool if you concentrate on aim, not power of swing.

Scrapiron

Scrapiron

ArboristSite Operative
Luv mine

I'm using a taller round to split with the Fiskars as well as an old tire around the top to help with any "bad" blows.

So far, so good- knock on wood.

supersammy

supersammy

ArboristSite Lurker
The Fiskars super splitter is a great tool. I just got mine before Christmas and hand split 5 cords of ash. Its is faster on straight grained wood that the hydraulic wood splitter plus I don't have to buy gas to run the splitter. Be careful, I sliced my ankle open when the head spun off a round and hit me. Its a good idea to use a taller block/stump to set the rounds your are splitting, reduces the risk of injury. I also bend my knees as I am coming down with the axe to help break larger rounds. Its also good exercise!

Elim

ArboristSite Guru
Good purchase. You should love it. It is almost like cheating. Like BigJake said be sure to split the victim log elevated to make up for the shorter handle.

Good Luck!

watchamakalit

watchamakalit

ArboristSite Operative
Ok so here is the deal. I ordered my fiskars online and 2 days later I get an email saying it is back ordered indefinatley. So thanks to this wonderful site I find out that Menards has them on clearance. One short phone call to the webstore and a trip to menards later I now have my Fiskars.

I got to test it a little last night. And I have to say HOLY F#$*&NG S%^T. I almost wonder if it is legal to posses such an instrument of distruction without some sort of permit. This thing is ridiculous. It will split anything you throw at it, and does so with minimal effort. For anyone contemplating purchasing one....Just do it.