Well it happened

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is going to leave a fn mark ...... 35 plus years of cutting .... I have had saws kick on me but today the 046 got me in the face...... Bucking a 18 inch log on the ground - nothing around it - both feet planted - text book position ----- Grabbed trigger -set saw down on log - boom on my ass. Kicked back so fast it took saw right out of my throttle Hand - hit me right in the face. Had I not been wearing glasses I would be missing an eye. My phone was in my skid loader.and I had to crawl up into it to call for help. So then next time you see me I will have chaps, logger books, traffic cones/ reflective vest/ ear protection / face guard on. hahaha Operation Safety Sally for a little while. Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone

Well this is going to leave a fn mark ...... 35 plus years of cutting .... I have had saws kick on me but today the 046 got me in the face...... Bucking a 18 inch log on the ground - nothing around it - both feet planted - text book position ----- Grabbed trigger -set saw down on log - boom on my ass. Kicked back so fast it took saw right out of my throttle Hand - hit me right in the face. Had I not been wearing glasses I would be missing an eye. My phone was in my skid loader.and I had to crawl up into it to call for help. So then next time you see me I will have chaps, logger books, traffic cones/ reflective vest/ ear protection / face guard on. hahaha Operation Safety Sally for a little while. Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone
Sorry for your accident, but I have always preached to son to ALIGN bar BESIDE the body, where a thrown chain will NOT take out the CROTCH/FACE; but yes, always preached PPE too

I have several saws that do not have a chain brake and normally do not even prefer such and I usually only use them if a saw has such when I'm going to carry a saw for several feet through the brush when it's running.
Would a chain brake have possibly help any? (or chainsaw type hard hat)

You might want to put one of them SAFETY-T-Tip anti kickback bar guards like this..
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/safettip-antikickback-nose-guard-p-769693.htmlI have couple in my trash pile somewhere that I can send you. (just kidding)

Yep, it can happen fast. I broke couple ribs not long ago walking down top to a large log, lost footing on bark all at once and went down like a yard dart crossways on the log. Also cut into my safety boot once and got part of my thick sock. did not get any meat.
I'm considering one of them Forestry Hard hats with face/ear/eye protection. (price is very reasonable for the amount of protection provided to the head and face)
Wondering if one of them type hard hats would have reduced your injury?
I do use chaps and a wide brimmed hard hat and steel toed boots.
I really keep a heads up when around or cutting dead trees. (widow makers)

I think about:
A Guy needs to be little more careful (safety aware) especially when he is working without a helper or no one else around if a accident happens. Good cell phone with good area coverage is also a good thing now-days for safety.

You were lucky it was not a worse injury, like major blood vessel around the neck.

Thanks for sharing this incident. It's a reminder that when we think nothing can happen the worst can happen. Hope you heal up fast. I think we will all be more diligent now with our ppe and techniques.
Second that on PPE! Clearing for a new fence with my little Husky 445. Pushed into a cedar tree to limb the bottom section to head high height. When dropping the limbs they pushed the saw right into my leg. Thankfully the material locked up the saw immediately and did not make it to my leg. Another pair of chaps now hanging in my shop.

Attachments

• A655B37C-DD20-4E1A-BF66-C69181D1072C.jpeg
    A655B37C-DD20-4E1A-BF66-C69181D1072C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • B6451BF9-5880-4B80-B48F-3127310C6D55.jpeg
    B6451BF9-5880-4B80-B48F-3127310C6D55.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Went to ER - and got a ton of stitches and put down as covid then sent home hahah Be careful kids if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone
I remembered reading this thread, took me a while to find it again. I know why they listed it as Covid. The hospital gets paid more by the Fed. Gov't for covid treatment.

I had an old farmer friend who was using one of those big old homies. It had I think a 3' bar? I don't think a chain break either.

It kicked back and he was lucky he was not lined up better with the bar, it grazed his right cheek , and took off the front part of an ear.

Adds new meaning to the term de-barked.
I had an old farmer friend who was using one of those big old homies. It had I think a 3' bar? I don't think a chain break either.

It kicked back and he was lucky he was not lined up better with the bar, it grazed his right cheek , and took off the front part of an ear.

Thanks for posting and glad you are doing better. Full PPE for me after getting educated here. It also hit home but fortunately not all the way through to me when I took it across the quads in thick brush. On my second pair of full wrap chaps and use a Helmet/screen and glasses.

BTW - It's the widowmakers that really make me pucker when taking standing dead.

Second that on PPE! Clearing for a new fence with my little Husky 445. Pushed into a cedar tree to limb the bottom section to head high height. When dropping the limbs they pushed the saw right into my leg. Thankfully the material locked up the saw immediately and did not make it to my leg. Another pair of chaps now hanging in my shop.
I wanted to add to this. Since it’s cooled down I’ve been wearing thin cotton gloves. I noticed that my grip on the saw is not near as firm as running bare handed. I have a pair of mechanic style gloves but they are a PITA to take on and off. I suppose Leather gloves may be better as far as grip so maybe I’ll give those a try. The other day while running the BB Makita with a 25” bar I noticed the grip issue and immediately thought about this incident. Safety cap, chaps, safety boots and I’m jeopardizing my grip with these dang gloves. I just figured I’d share. I hope the OP is doing well. Be safe everyone and Merry Christmas.

I use the Youngstown kevlar gloves for cutting only and switch over to regular leather work glove "disposable type" when handling the rounds afterward. I like the feel (use 24" bar) and they've been durable. I am on my second pair over the course of many years using them this way.

Sorry the saw got you man. You’re lucky the chain didn’t cut deeper and kill you. Thanks for sharing this and I pray you heal well in due time. Our profession is ranked by OSHA as the most dangerous and you proved the ranking.

I wanted to add to this. Since it’s cooled down I’ve been wearing thin cotton gloves. I noticed that my grip on the saw is not near as firm as running bare handed. I have a pair of mechanic style gloves but they are a PITA to take on and off. I suppose Leather gloves may be better as far as grip so maybe I’ll give those a try. The other day while running the BB Makita with a 25” bar I noticed the grip issue and immediately thought about this incident. Safety cap, chaps, safety boots and I’m jeopardizing my grip with these dang gloves. I just figured I’d share. I hope the OP is doing well. Be safe everyone and Merry Christmas.

Give the "nitrlte" gloves a try, good protection and thin enough to pick up and thread a nut or mount a fresh chain, good grip. I haven't worn any other glove since I found them. Under $4 for 3 pair at Wal Mart.

2 weeks now and back to my day job of modeling ..... hand modeling ...... hahah. Thanks for all the kind words. Stay on guard every time.

Man you are healing up great!

I bet you still can't believe it happened.

There ain't no teacher like experience, and you are now highly experienced!

I got 30 stitches in my thigh back in 1987. I was on my knees cutting off a 3ft. diameter hollow stump with a 20 inch bar. That's how hollow it was. I hit a spot that must have been over 20 inch and may have been changing grip. Smacked me hard about six inches above my knee. It hardly bled and no permanent damage luckily. I was sitting in the ER beside a fellow that had just cut off his big toe pulling a lawn mower backwards. We were comparing wounds and I'd rather have mine than his.

Makes you think big time.

Latest posts

Back