Well..........Which Will It Be???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Since I got an interest in this square ground chain stuff, and since EHP clued me in on what a good square ground work chain looks like, I am considering getting a Silvey. Problem is should it be the Swingarm or the Razur SharpII?

I spoke with Hunter and he said that the Swingarm would do good work chains, but like anything else I don't know if I will stop there.

What are the opinions?

Rich a swingarm is a good grinder and is fast at grinding your chains, the razor sharp 2 is to me a grinder that I get a better cutter but not as fast at grinding, I have never used a SDM4 so cannot say on it but the pro sharp is the best from Silvey but alot more money, it is just like anything else , the more money the better it should work. but for doing work chains the swing arm will do you just fine, there that is my .02 cents

Hi Rich, I just thought of something. I have a Razur 2 here you can have in exchange for a stock 346. I have a prosharp now I got from Jayrod and I love it. Other than that you would do well to get one from Hunter.
I'll call you.

If you got the cash get the sdm4 its easier to see your corner, and way faster to use. I got an r2 works fine but would like to upgrade. Simington makes a grinder that is equivalent to the r2 as well.

Rich,
I forgot about John's Grinder. Would make you a good one, and maybe myself or Russ would be up that way. The grinder has had plenty of instruction from gypo, so it knows exactly what to do.lol
I am also supposed to get one from WJ,( a swing arm) but he said there was a vibration. He doesnt know if its the bearing or the wheel. If that one ever comes out being a good one, and no bearing problems, you can have it for $300, exactly what he said he would sell it for.
Let me know,
Hunter

P.S. I bet you can work on gypo and get that one for a good deal, thats a good grinder.

Rich,
Buy the best grinder you can afford. If a prosharp is in your budget buy it you won’t be sorry and you won’t be looking back in a few months saying I wish I had bought the other one……………

woodsjunkie said:
Rich,
Buy the best grinder you can afford. If a prosharp is in your budget buy it you won’t be sorry and you won’t be looking back in a few months saying I wish I had bought the other one……………

Eric,

Don`t you have a Pro Sharp? What makes it better than any other model? Are you grinding your race chains on it?

Thanks, Russ

Pro sharp

Yes Russ I do have a Pro Sharp. IMO the pro sharp is a lot more precise and the different angles can be accomplished a lot easer with out major alterations. As far as race chains heck no I know absolutely nothing about a race chain nor have I ever clamed too most of the time I just simply sand blast mine.
BTW I get you signature Russ I’m not using the same excuse twice. But then again I’m sure you know all about the damage that was done to my back and the heeling process after major back surgery don’t you? And why wouldn’t you?

Hunter I took the wheel off my pro sharp and put it on the swing arm and ran it some this morning it didn’t vibrate so it may have been the stone not completely sure but I didn’t notice any play in the shaft.
Anyhow I shipped it out UPS so you should have it tomorrow.
Tracking # 1Z 429 74X 03 4345 2683
If for some reason you don’t want to keep it of if it acts up and starts vibrating after you get it good a warm just send it back. If you decide every thing is ok let me know then you can pay me. But not until you are satisfied with it.

Now with a pro sharp, I know Gypo's is not the same as mine, his base is not adjustable like mine , Silvey says they will make the base like mine if you need it , not sure how much more money that is but I would think I would spend my money on having them make a .050 gauge rail that the chain sits in and a .058 gauge rail, I have used shim stock to keep the chain in the centre of the rail because they are all .063 gauge rail, a couple thousands of an inch make a big difference.

So what are you saying Mark, Gypo is not grinding any better than before after spending all this money , speaking about Gypo ,where is the little chain grinding GURU anyway

Thanks for the feedback Eric.

BTW, now that you noticed my sig I will change it. I just wanted to rib you a bit.

Russ

Back