Westcoast hackers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit583guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
it's hack job guys like this that make our industry look bad, this guy has crap all over craigslist, advertising topping. thank god they have finally implemented topping bylaws here finally. Growing up in the east where topping is very frowned upon, it was a shock to see how much of it really goes on out here.

http://lowermainlandtreeremoval.com/ all bash anyone who advertises topping!

it's hack job guys like this that make our industry look bad, this guy has crap all over craigslist, advertising topping. thank god they have finally implemented topping bylaws here finally. Growing up in the east where topping is very frowned upon, it was a shock to see how much of it really goes on out here.

http://lowermainlandtreeremoval.com/ all bash anyone who advertises topping!

Wonder if he uses that axe all the time to fell trees?lol!:cheers:

There seems to be no shortage of this action going on here on the Island. It seems like I have to explain to customers why we don't top trees every single day. In fact, in the past two days I have been doing topping remediations either in the form of removals or crown reductions.

Equally bad is the customer who retired from out of province then moved into waterfront or viewy real estate for the trees and majestic beauty. Then there is a panic when they notice more and more tree in their precious views and something must be done (preferably by the cheapest, Saturday working, permit skating shifty hacks).

Someone needs to tip off the bylaw guys that working a Saturday or two might produce some results -- all I hear outside is chainsaws in the distance.

Equally bad is the customer who retired from out of province then moved into waterfront or viewy real estate for the trees and majestic beauty. Then there is a panic when they notice more and more tree in their precious views and something must be done (preferably by the cheapest, Saturday working, permit skating shifty hacks).

Someone needs to tip off the bylaw guys that working a Saturday or two might produce some results -- all I hear outside is chainsaws in the distance.

What is wrong with removing trees that are blocking your view? There are plenty of trees on the island. As long as the person owns the trees, or has permission from other owners, it is really no one elses business.

I thnk this is bs, where does it end, the tree police, do gooders and others can control our lives in every aspect?

And the disrespect "permit skating shifty hacks", quite an assumption, how do you know it isn't ISA guys trying to make some cash on the side? Lol. :cheers:

The stump tells the story?

Still trying to figure out what story that stump that he is sitting on is trying to tell. I give up...

Still trying to figure out what story that stump that he is sitting on is trying to tell. I give up...

Never looked at it till now, that stump is crazy. Nothing to be proud of or show you sitting on unless you are a tourist or something. But I mean every thing I first said.

That looks more like a bucking cut, rather than a falling cut. I am assuming that the tree was blown over and the butt log was bucked off the stump, rather than being felled.

Those type of topping cuts are very common and heritage from practices of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. There wasn't a good understanding in the public at the time of how a conifer would react to topping. And given the logging culture prevalent at the time, nobody really cared. A lot of our work now is dealing with those old topping jobs, whether it is retopping back to the old topping cut or a crown reduction. The difficulty is many of the topping cuts, especially in the hemlock, are rotten and the branches are weakly attached.

As far as topping those Lombardy poplars, if that will make them less desireable to the HO and speed the ultimate removal then great. I really hate those things.

Last edited:
What is wrong with removing trees that are blocking your view? There are plenty of trees on the island. As long as the person owns the trees, or has permission from other owners, it is really no one elses business.

I thnk this is bs, where does it end, the tree police, do gooders and others can control our lives in every aspect?

And the disrespect "permit skating shifty hacks", quite an assumption, how do you know it isn't ISA guys trying to make some cash on the side? Lol. :cheers:

Removing trees isn't so much the issue, though one I deal with enough to realize that municipalities crying over losing urban forest is in fact a reality. What's wrong is the general public still believing topping mature trees is the best solution to their view situation. Yeah there's a lot of trees on the island, but the city of Victoria has lost 30% of its urban forest in just over 20 years.

Topping mature trees in moderately dense neighbourhoods is the issue I'm talking about. I'm all for Saturday side jobs, but I play by the rules and I don't throw on the hooks to spiral prune and top the waterfront firs.

Never looked at it till now, that stump is crazy. Nothing to be proud of or show you sitting on unless you are a tourist or something. But I mean every thing I first said.

It looked the the stump behind him is on fire.

But on the topping note:

One of my friends does some pretty weird stuff to his trees. For one he tied a rope to a 15 foot spruce and hung a cinder block on it to weight it down. Also to tied rubber bands to the tips of a kousa; I am not sure what that would do but he says he wants his trees to look like those from a Dr. Suess book. I suppose he finds that interesting and I have to admit he is pretty much right about that. He does a lot of work like that around his place.
One day Mr. Isa arborist knocks on his door and gives him the speil. I just happen to know the Isa guy was, it was Mike Mortorano and his gig is to bash everybody else and claim he is so brilliant and all knowing. its kinda irritaing. of course he will look at a tree and tell you all the wrong that was done it by the so called hacks but he is completely incapable of climbing up there hisself to make a proper collar cut. he might know what a proper collar cut is but he sure as #### isn't nor never was able to execute without his feet being firmly on the ground.
His words exactly " i hold myself higher cause I am educated". I about died when he told me that. But enough about him.
So sure if they say " I don't care just top it!" Guess what? Stand back Mikey, I will mangle it for em nooooo problem. But they really have to want it.

His words exactly " i hold myself higher cause I am educated". I about died when he told me that.

I have never heard this, but I am sure this is how some of these types feel. They only climbing they ever did was climbing off thier boyfriends, lol.

I have never heard this, but I am sure this is how some of these types feel. They only climbing they ever did was climbing off thier boyfriends, lol.

Just a good example of an arm chair arborist. Which is the term I should have used instead if insinuating all Isa guys are a joke which is not my intention.
I would think if the guy is so smart he wouldn't waste his breath preaching to a guy who has painstaking installed 6 million rubber bands on his trees.

definetly the logger mentality but when people see how long it takes the second time around to speedline out 20 little tops that are just insane to be up in rigging off of..they have me top it down to ground level where they can handle it from a orchard ladder or the ground with a pole pruner...that maintaince just never ends...you'll never get a single leader again...keeps ya busy though..from all the pictures that guy seems to be working on trees he topped about 12 years before..!

Easy to Bash

Hard to compliment work like that, but some customers do not care what is proper tree care. I will never be the best or act like I know all. That is a high horse right there.

Big world with lots going on everyday.

Back