Western Maryland Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighank

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just sitting here wondering. How many of us out here are from Western Maryland and do you know of any good places to cut some firewood in the area. Taking delivery of a new MS361 on Saturday and got the itch to replenish my dwindling wood pile.

When you say Western Md. Do you mean Garrett County or the Annapolis definition of Western Md. which is Frederick or Hagarstown?

I live in Garrett County There is PLENTY of wood to be cut in the state forests. All you have to do is get a permit fron the DNR and you have 30 days to cut a cord. The permit is only like $6 or so...

state forrest is the sure way, last time i did it they only allowed certain roads at a time. I keep an eye on craigslist, every now and then you find some one who has the trees taken down but don't want to pay for removal so they offer it up for free, next, i'm not afraid to stop on the side of the road and get some either,(when its safe) specially when they take them down for wires etc.

hey everyone in Garrett County.

I am new to the county full time but I have bought wood. It can get expensive. I talked to the DNR at New Germany and still cannot get a decent answer. I need some rules for cutting wood at the state forest in the area. times, places and the such. I read you need safety equipment but again cannot get a decent answer. I was tols it is $10.00 permit/cord and at negro mountain on bowmanhill rd a DNR bulliten board also says this. The state isn't real clear on this subject so far so I need to be careful as I don't want to break any laws. Where can I go to get info other then the internet. If you call the DRN you are shuffled around and no one has a clear answer for ya so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Can anyone help?

Marylands the "free state" Just take it. LOL

you're close to WV also, just be aware that it's still illegal to transport wood in and out of state (wv) right now. EAB quarintine.. Just in case that was an option for you..... :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back