Older Australian Amatuer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaner58

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI,
Looking for advice and to read about the experiences of people who cut wood often, cut wood fast and know how to sharpen and maintain a saw. I live in the middle of the Great Western Woodlands of Western Australia. The traditional owners are the Ngadju people.
I am 65 and started cutting when I was 64, learning all the time, looking to improve my score per tank of fuel every trip out in the bush.
Our woodlands is all hardwood and we are isolated with very small population. 99% percent of people here are cutting for themselves or family and generally for firewood. Large saws are rare but I own a 440e and I think it is a touch short of power for the wood I am cutting. I have found that it does cut well with a new chain but can bog and want to stall.

Is this telling me I need to up the HP ?

Shane

Welcome to the forum Shane. 2 things to consider. Sharp chain is the best weapon in the hardwood. How's your filing on chains? from others I have read here in the Aussie bush that your hardwood species are right on hard woods. If you can source one an MS 660 will do you well for those tough woods. Saw safe.

HI,
Looking for advice and to read about the experiences of people who cut wood often, cut wood fast and know how to sharpen and maintain a saw. I live in the middle of the Great Western Woodlands of Western Australia. The traditional owners are the Ngadju people.
I am 65 and started cutting when I was 64, learning all the time, looking to improve my score per tank of fuel every trip out in the bush.
Our woodlands is all hardwood and we are isolated with very small population. 99% percent of people here are cutting for themselves or family and generally for firewood. Large saws are rare but I own a 440e and I think it is a touch short of power for the wood I am cutting. I have found that it does cut well with a new chain but can bog and want to stall.

Is this telling me I need to up the HP ?

Shane
Hello mate. Buy 3 Neotec 892’s or 3 Farmmac F660’s and you’ll be good with parts and power. Reach out to Kevin Hangerone as he is in your neck of the woods and deals with saws quite often.

https://youtube.com/@MrHangerone

Welcome to the forum Shane. 2 things to consider. Sharp chain is the best weapon in the hardwood. How's your filing on chains? from others I have read here in the Aussie bush that your hardwood species are right on hard woods. If you can source one an MS 660 will do you well for those tough woods. Saw safe.
I am just OK on filing chains, had a bloke basically teach me what I needed to do, watch me and basically say move your right foot here, hold your elbow here and put the chain here etc. made a huge difference. It will last a couple of tanks if I let it but like to touch it up after every tank.

Latest posts

Back