Western NC up in Flames

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
http://wncn.com/2016/11/12/nc-mount...23000-acres-as-6th-county-orders-evacuations/

I live in Cherokee county and all the fires are currently east of me by about 20 miles so no danger to my family as of now. It would only take one nutcase to change that as we are in a sever drought in my area.They have already caught several people suspected of setting all these fires. One report of a guy setting car tires on fire and rolling them down the side of the road banks. They need to bring back hanging in this country. My wife and I drove up toward Clay county, the county line is only about 5 miles from me. We could see the glow of the fire over the mountain tops, but couldnt see any flames. Lots of mountain top home in that area. So far no homes have been lost and only one out building. That says a lot for the folks fighting the fires considering about 23,000 acres have already been burnt.
About 2 years ago we had someone setting roadside fires. One was set almost right in front of my house. Grass and brush burnt to within about 100ft of my home. Local volunteer fire departments and US Forest Service put the fire out before any real serious damage was done. Lots of folks dont appreciate the time, effort and work it takes to protect all of us from people that would do us harm. Most never think about our firemen or our police until they need them. I for one am glad we have such dedicated people risking their lifes to keep us safe.

Thanks. Retired firefighter. Biggest challenge was getting through traffic. The men and women that do wildland firefighting have my respect. Long ass days and WAY to much work!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I hear you brother, living out of Old Fort my house is in a continual cloud of smoke the last few days. The fire near Lake Lure is keeping us on alert. Lots of rough terrain to get to us, but it isn't exactly easy to get in there to stop it either. Here at work we are collecting supplies for the fire fighters. The news has put out a few requests also. No rain in sight, would like to see that change.

Shea

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

List of incidents on the forest service page.

Lots of donation collected around here also. So much that one of the fire departments requested that donations stop being collected. Better to much than not enough, and I suspect as the fires continue more donation might be needed. seems one of the things the firefighters needed most, besides the poptop cans of food and water, was shampoo. I overheard a group of folks collecting supplies talking about it so I just donated money instead of food stuffs. I suspect not a lot of folks think about shampoo and personal hygiene needs, so something you might consider with your collection efforts.

I live just outside Murphy. Didnt think many people had ever heard of Violet. All my folks came from that area. Who's your uncle, I might know him.
Wow you are very close. The world is rather small so I'll drop you a PM.

My family and I will be down there this weekend on our way to Florida. If we weren't pressed for time I'd offer to buy you a beverage of choice. Next time I go there myself let's get together.

http://wncn.com/2016/11/12/nc-mount...23000-acres-as-6th-county-orders-evacuations/

I live in Cherokee county and all the fires are currently east of me by about 20 miles so no danger to my family as of now. It would only take one nutcase to change that as we are in a sever drought in my area.They have already caught several people suspected of setting all these fires. One report of a guy setting car tires on fire and rolling them down the side of the road banks. They need to bring back hanging in this country. My wife and I drove up toward Clay county, the county line is only about 5 miles from me. We could see the glow of the fire over the mountain tops, but couldnt see any flames. Lots of mountain top home in that area. So far no homes have been lost and only one out building. That says a lot for the folks fighting the fires considering about 23,000 acres have already been burnt.
About 2 years ago we had someone setting roadside fires. One was set almost right in front of my house. Grass and brush burnt to within about 100ft of my home. Local volunteer fire departments and US Forest Service put the fire out before any real serious damage was done. Lots of folks dont appreciate the time, effort and work it takes to protect all of us from people that would do us harm. Most never think about our firemen or our police until they need them. I for one am glad we have such dedicated people risking their lifes to keep us safe.
me thinks,,hanging would be tooo good for that trash..........

Wow you are very close. The world is rather small so I'll drop you a PM.

My family and I will be down there this weekend on our way to Florida. If we weren't pressed for time I'd offer to buy you a beverage of choice. Next time I go there myself let's get together.
It is a small world for sure. If you find you have a little extra time, send me a message and we'll try to get together for a few minutes. I'm either setting at the house or going to therapy so its not like I am staying busy.

me thinks,,hanging would be tooo good for that trash..........
They have already caught a few of the folks setting the fires, but I doubt they get them all. They need to catch them and put them in front of the fire with shovels and rakes until they drop and then hang them

They have already caught a few of the folks setting the fires, but I doubt they get them all. They need to catch them and put them in front of the fire with shovels and rakes until they drop and then hang them

Agreed. Too many people doing unimaginable things and then ending up for years caught in the "justice" system wasting taxpayer dollars and feeling little to no pain. I'd like to see a little of the "get caught stealing, we'll lop off your hand with a meat cleaver, caught lying we'll cut your tongue out" approach, then some of these folks might realize the risk isn't worth the absurd action before they do something so idiotic.

Young person on drugs? Or firebug?
I dont have the details. Fire burnt about 2 acres of weeds. By the time I found out about it, they already had it out.

Had another interesting fire, with no damage. Smoke seen coming out of the ground near a person home. Back in March, the homeowner had tried to burn out a stump and then covered with dirt. They claim the fire had been smothering underground since March. I can only guess the fire had been following along the roots underground all this time and had just finally broken thru toward the surface. I know several years ago, I was clearing some land and burning brush. It was getting late in the year and I had stopped doing any grade work. I covered up a couple of burnt out brush piles with dirt and left them for the winter. In March when I started grading again, I pushed the dirt off the old piles and started pileing brush again. It wasnt long until the brush piles where blazing and not because I had restarted any fires. It seems that those old burn piles had been smothering all winter (about 5 or 6 months),and with a little fresh air, they started back up on their own. Its kind of hard to believe, but it can happen

hope that fire doesn't take any homes, drought conditions with a forest fire close is never good. I'm finally starting to do clean up on my property from our forest fire this summer. Think I need to make a thread here asking for opinions on the best course of action to take with the mess of burnt trees.

I live about 40 miles straight line from Murphy across the border in TN and the smoke has been off and on pretty rough. What's unnerving is last Tuesday I went out side and ash was falling like fine snow. I came across this website, http://gacc.nifc.gov/sacc/ it shows the locations and more info of active fires here in the southeast. I watched the side of a mountain in the distance today go up with what at first look you could cover the smoke plume with a fingers breadth at arms length and in about 2 hours both hands couldn't cover the area.

I live about 40 miles straight line from Murphy across the border in TN and the smoke has been off and on pretty rough. What's unnerving is last Tuesday I went out side and ash was falling like fine snow. I came across this website, http://gacc.nifc.gov/sacc/ it shows the locations and more info of active fires here in the southeast. I watched the side of a mountain in the distance today go up with what at first look you could cover the smoke plume with a fingers breadth at arms length and in about 2 hours both hands couldn't cover the area.
You must live around the Ocoee . I heard they had some pretty big fires in the Cherokee Forest. One good thing is they have been catching a bunch of the folks setting the fires. Probably wont catch them all, 6 years prison and $3000 fine, not enough punishment in my opinion.

Weather man said a 50% chance on Sat. I wouldnt bet on it tho. My weather stone is more accurate than the best weather man. It has never been wrong.
  • If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
  • If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.

Latest posts

Back