Western NC up in Flames

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North GA Saturday was forecast a decent chance of rain, now 0%. 60% chance of rain forecast for next Wednesday but that will probably evaporate like every other chance for the last six weeks. If they find someone setting fires for fun in this environment I'd vote for electric shock or castration.

You must live around the Ocoee . I heard they had some pretty big fires in the Cherokee Forest. One good thing is they have been catching a bunch of the folks setting the fires. Probably wont catch them all, 6 years prison and $3000 fine, not enough punishment in my opinion.
I live in the south part of Blount county. Yeah some of these fires have grown quite large the one down by Blue Ridge GA is approaching 25000 acres. I am in agreement that the punishment should be steeper for these whack job pyros, as dry as it is they are threatening life and property of the whole community and the safety of those fighting the fires. Not to mention the use of resources.

We left there this morning. Saw some distant smoke this morning but nothing close. We were close to fires in eastern TN/western NC yesterday.

I'll post some pics later. What beautiful country!!!!

Man you guys have some nice country.

I got a tour of the Joe Brown Highway (a lane and a half gravel road carved into the side of the mountain. You are literally looking down through the crowns of trees on the lower side of the road.

I'm very jealous of your endless supply of oak trees as well.

Will be back soon for turkey hunting. And maybe shoot some yotes too.

I put a few pictures of my uncle's yard over in Scrounging Firewood.

Did you drive Joe brown from end to end. My Grandparents house used to set at the intersection at the west end of JoeBrown. The little barbershop that set in that intersection now used to be her old country store. My Cousin now cuts hair there and sells fresh eggs and produce he raises in his green house. My grand father donated the land for Violet Church, just across the creek from there. I spent many a summer growing up and playing in those fields and woods around there. Did you drive to Hiawasse Dam. My Other Grandparents Lived in the last house you passed before you get to the dam. All of my folks are from that area.

Did you drive Joe brown from end to end. My Grandparents house used to set at the intersection at the west end of JoeBrown. The little barbershop that set in that intersection now used to be her old country store. My Cousin now cuts hair there and sells fresh eggs and produce he raises in his green house. My grand father donated the land for Violet Church, just across the creek from there. I spent many a summer growing up and playing in those fields and woods around there. Did you drive to Hiawasse Dam. My Other Grandparents Lived in the last house you passed before you get to the dam. All of my folks are from that area.
We drove Joe Brown from the post office in Coker Creek to where the general store was. I had no idea that was "downtown Violet" or I would have taken a picture. The store was closed already for the day.

We crossed the dam on the way out of town yesterday.

What a small world!

IMG_6269.JPG IMG_6273.JPG

Again absolutely beautiful country.

My brother was the power plant operator at that dam until he retired about 2 years ago. Lot of folks dont know it, but that dam was the first one built in the world that has the ability to reverse its turbines and pump water back into the lake. The Lake below it is for storage. The lower lake levels hardly fluccuate more than about 5 or 6 ft. It catches water from the upper lake and holds it to be pumped back into the upper lake. Good small mouth and bream fishing in the lower lake, (Apalachia lake). Only boat access is in the picture you took looking off the lower side of Hiawasse Dam. As close as that dam is to Violet, That area was one of the last places in the county to get electric power.

Had another fire about 2 miles from my house this time. Seems someone was dumping the ashes out of their wood stove. Just a reminder to those of us that burn wood, just becasue the ashes seem to be out doesnt mean there isnt a ember somewhere in the pile. Ths fire burnt about 200 acres really fast. If it hadnt of been for the helicopters being on standby and being available on a moments notice, this fire could of gotten really bad, really fast. 3 choppers and one plane dumped water on the blaze and they had it under control in just a couple of hours.

Alabama and Tennessee were really dry too. Went through multiple smokey areas in Tennessee. Kentucky seemed to be the transition area and by the time we got into southern Illinois the grass on the sides of the highway was green.

Agreed. Too many people doing unimaginable things and then ending up for years caught in the "justice" system wasting taxpayer dollars and feeling little to no pain. I'd like to see a little of the "get caught stealing, we'll lop off your hand with a meat cleaver, caught lying we'll cut your tongue out" approach, then some of these folks might realize the risk isn't worth the absurd action before they do something so idiotic.

I don't agree with punishments that can cause a permanent disability. However the old fashioned whipping post might be a good idea.

Here in North Georgia, after seven weeks without a drop of rain, now we are set for a three-day deluge starting Monday night. Very welcome!
I have it figured out now!. Its all those folks from Mn and Mi bringing the rain with them when they pass thru. Cloudy outside and supposed to rain. You Yanks come on back now ya hear.

I have it figured out now!. Its all those folks from Mn and Mi bringing the rain with them when they pass thru. Cloudy outside and supposed to rain. You Yanks come on back now ya hear.

Hey, the weather was gorgeous while I was there so if y'all are good with what we brought then I am too. And you'd better believe I will be taking you up on the invitation and returning to Asheville. That town is a craft beer lover's paradise.

Just so you know, they also make legal moonshine there, if you get to wanting something for a toothache, cough, cough
We have visited and purchased from Ole' Smoky over in Gatlinburg. They also purchased Davy Crockett whiskey which has an absolutely delicious pecan infused whiskey.

The OS corn whiskey was a bit harsh, somewhat like drinking diesel LOL. If you could get over the smell it didn't taste too terrible.

We have visited and purchased from Ole' Smoky over in Gatlinburg. They also purchased Davy Crockett whiskey which has an absolutely delicious pecan infused whiskey.

The OS corn whiskey was a bit harsh, somewhat like drinking diesel LOL. If you could get over the smell it didn't taste too terrible.

Man, you make that sound so attractive. I mean, who doesn't love a good shot of diesel now and then?

Just remind me when you get back down here and I will fix you up. Aint saying who makes it, but give me about 6 or 7 days notice and I'll make sure its fresh

Latest posts

Back