western people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was just curious if there was any people from the western states here?

im all the way in nevada so i was just curious if anyone shares the hardships of wood like i have to.

Joe- I share the hardships of wood, my brother. Like that time a frozen fir cone drilled me in the eye when I was cutting in a snow storm...Or like that time a Red Cedar pinned me up against a rock bluff like Mark Furhman shaking down a crack addict...or like that other time four gallons of fermented sap and old rainwater came shooting out of a Chinkapin snag on my chest...

The hardships of wood. It's a brutal altar we pray at my brothers. :clap:

Hardships? Dead-standing beetle-kill lodgepole pine on public land is becoming more plentiful each year. Easy to cut, load and split. I firewood man's dream. Sure beats competing for every scrap I could find on private property back east.

Northern Arizona here... If you mean that you gotta drive over ludicrous terrain and range for miles to find the wood you want... we do that here. Not so much a hardship for me, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hardships? Dead-standing beetle-kill lodgepole pine on public land is becoming more plentiful each year. Easy to cut, load and split. I firewood man's dream. Sure beats competing for every scrap I could find on private property back east.

well i have never been hurt YET by wood and i have done a lot of stupid things lol. well i dont know if any of you have been to nevada but we dont exactly have water well if you guys search google for schurz you will understand i have only sold around roughly 60 cords in the past 2 years and omg that is just about all the wood around here. wood is very scarce we have to plan trips to go and get wood its about a 50 mile round trip for cotton and a bout a 200 mile round trip for pinion pine. love my chainsaws but there isnt enough wood to cut. ALTHOUGH I LOVE EVERYBIT OF IT i was just wondering if anybody else goes through what we do

Last edited:
Man, that sucks! Here in KY firewood is actually pretty easy to come by if you ask around. My neighbor owns 3 farms right next to me, I never have to drive more than a 1/4 mile for firewood. I have a good friend that also heats with wood and those farms have kept the two of us in firewood for years now. My neighbor is a super nice guy and he loves the fact that we keep his farms cleaned up of downed trees. I can't imagine having to drive 200 miles to get firewood, I feel for you guys!

Last edited:

:agree2:
Nothing cuts splits stacks easier than Lodgepole. It burns nice, just faster than oak. There are more and more dead Lodgepole Pines in the El Dorado Natl Forest lately. Not much competition for it either.
Dok

well i have never been hurt YET by wood and i have done a lot of stupid things lol. well i dont know if any of you have been to nevada but we dont exactly have water well if you guys search google for schurz you will understand i have only sold around roughly 60 cords in the past 2 years and omg that is just about all the wood around here. wood is very scarce we have to plan trips to go and get wood its about a 50 mile round trip for cotton and a bout a 200 mile round trip for pinion pine. love my chainsaws but there isnt enough wood to cut. ALTHOUGH I LOVE EVERYBIT OF IT i was just wondering if anybody else goes through what we do

Yeah, I feel for you. I don't think of trees when I think of Nevada. The occasional blade of grass to break up the monotony, yes. Trees, no. What's the demand for wood? Maybe it would pay to tractor-trailer and load of logs in?
Dok

West??!!

im all the way in nevada so i was just curious if anyone shares the hardships of wood like i have to.

Heck theres 20 stunted spruce trees in Dutch Harbor ,Unalaska Island that were supposedly planted by the russians 200 yrs ago,the only trees on the whole island.They were killed when the city dug up and re-layed some sewer pipe perhaps 20 yrs ago.
Theres a couple stunted spruce on Akutan Island as well,and I think one in the village of Atka.No more living trees till you get to Kamchatka in the former ussr.
Oh,Dutch is approx 162 degrees West Longitude btw,now thats west.

ak

How far west do you want to go? I live in Western Australia, that's so far west it's almost east for you guys. :dizzy: No hardship with wood though, we have more interesting wood than you can poke a stick at.
:cheers:

How far west do you want to go? I live in Western Australia, that's so far west it's almost east for you guys. :dizzy: No hardship with wood though, we have more interesting wood than you can poke a stick at.
:cheers:

hey, thats cheating, aren't you actually far east compared to o/p?

Yes, I experienced the hardship of wood yesterday. I took off in a sucker hole to throw some wood from the place I thought I'd be living at by now into the pickup to haul back to where I live, and decided to start juggling it because the rain returned, hard. I am not a juggler and a piece whacked me in the nose.

I've had lots of bruises from wood. Mostly from running my legs into stobs. Yes, you have company for

The Hardship of Wood.:)

hey, thats cheating, aren't you actually far east compared to o/p?

The diametric opposite on the planet, of Perth (Western Australia) is Bermuda. Most of you guys are west of this so I'm technically (just) still in your Western Half of the hemisphere.

The term Far East is actually only really relevant to Europe. The Phillipines, Korea and Japan are technically Far West of the US. Most of China, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and some of Indonesia are Far East for US east coast folk, but pretty well all of so called East Asia is Far West of the US West coast. Confused ??? Not me - I maybe just can't explain it right.

west

Rocklin,Ca. here, Tahoe Nat. Forest right up the I-80. Major logging operations leave nice stuff to cut on everywhere. What,s strange though is it.s closed now, but you can cut all summer. With the fires we have here almost seems backwards.

Rocklin,Ca. here, Tahoe Nat. Forest right up the I-80. Major logging operations leave nice stuff to cut on everywhere. What,s strange though is it.s closed now, but you can cut all summer. With the fires we have here almost seems backwards.
So how do I find out where to get my hands on some of of that left over logging stock? I have a very hard time finding wood.

The diametric opposite on the planet, of Perth (Western Australia) is Bermuda. Most of you guys are west of this so I'm technically (just) still in your Western Half of the hemisphere.

The term Far East is actually only really relevant to Europe. The Phillipines, Korea and Japan are technically Far West of the US. Most of China, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and some of Indonesia are Far East for US east coast folk, but pretty well all of so called East Asia is Far West of the US West coast. Confused ??? Not me - I maybe just can't explain it right.

Sorry but anybody with a union jack in there flag need not apply:chainsaw:
I remember sitting in a thatched hut sandy beach bar somewhere in Thailand yrs ago with 3 or 4 other military guys.3 were from aussie,and 1 from kiwi,they were slurpping there cold drinks out of small galvanized buckets.
One aussie leaned over to me and said" ya know mate,the euro's have the mediteranean,you yanks have the caribb,but WE have ALL of asia!"
That was about 30 minutes before I next saw him on his back in the surf,like a turtle on his back,legs and arms clawing at the sky uselessly,unable to get back up.I think it was at that point that the kiwi stumbled down to help him out of the surf and look for his military papers that had sailed away with the tide.
They were no match for seasoned drinking veterans like alaskan commercial fisherman,but certainly were fantastic good company.Id be proud to hoist one anytime with an aussie.:cheers:

ak

Central Colorado, if you consider that west. Here, the terrain is steep gulches. Or, steep hillsides. 95% of my labor is getting the wood from where I cut it over or down or up to the truck. I have gotten to where, these days, I no longer try to wrestle the trunk sections down the hillsides. I used to truck them home, cut them into rounds at my leisure, as need and time dictated. Nowadays, I cut everything into rounds on site, throw and roll them down the hillsides. Often, the road/access for the truck is not at the very bottom. So, some of the rounds end up below the truck in a creekbed and have to be carried or tossed up the creekbank. Sometimes, I have to split the rounds into quarters to be able to do this, especially if they are 24+ inches. So, I spend a little time felling the trees, a little more limbing and cutting into rounds, then a lot of time rolling the rounds downhill and getting them into the truck. I can't even imagine being able to drive right up to where I'm cutting and toss the wood in. Pure luxury that would be!!!!!

Latest posts

Back