wetting new ropes???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
this is from Beal Ropes arborist page on their poly and nylon ropes.

First I ever heard this.

Arborist's ropes have excellent abrasion resistance, but before use you are advised to soak overnight and leave to dry slowly. This results in shrinkage of around 2-4%, which will reduce the risk of sheath slippage and improve the rope's
resistance to abrasion and wear.
:confused:

Originally posted by Kevin
I`ve never wet my rope. :D

Not even by accident? When you got really scared? :eek:

My ropes got soaked yesterday, was ascending the last big tree when the 'liquid sunshine' came down. I didn't take the ropes out to dry when I got home, and they were kinda stinky this morning. They were dry by noon today, though. I've never gotten my ropes wet intentionally, only when caught in the rain.

I typically milk the sheath off of the core on my new ropes. It's a lot of work and I usually end up sweating..............but I can usually get 6-8' off a 150' rope. I think that its worth the sweat and cursing to beable to avoid bunching under your climbing knot/hitch.

If wetting the rope is an easier way to shrink the sheath, perhaps it would save some milking? Might be worth looking into some more? But the thing that I am concerned with, is that if the sheath shrinks, would it not stretch out under continuous load and therefore gaining you nothing?

Tom posted a link a while back to "Life On a Line"- an online book about caving rescue ops. Wetting new ropes (Static kernmantle) was reccommended as standard practice for new ropes. Nylon shrinks of course but I thought that Polyester was immune to it-maybe I was wrong.

Originally posted by TreeCo
I've used new england saftey blue high vee for over ten years and have never had it bunch up under my climbing hitch. I've never milked it or had the sheath become longer than the core from use.

That is normal for HiVee.

Nickrosis

Originally posted by tshanefreeman
but I can usually get 6-8' off a 150' rope. I think that its worth the sweat and cursing to beable to avoid bunching under your climbing knot/hitch.

Did you mean 6-8"? Or what kind of rope are you using?:confused:

--Fred

I meant 6-8'. The last spool I purchased was BlackMax. Ya, I know............you pay for what you get. But the rope is as good as any after you milk it!

Back