whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
lakanooky?:hmm3grin2orange:

NOPE! His little 22 year old GF showed at the shop one day. OMG!! I wouldn't leave the house! :hmm3grin2orange:

I think the stressor like I said, was the divorce of his parents, although a step dad, all he has ever known, bring in the divorce and a guy telling a son, that since they are separated "you go with your mom, your not my son, you came with the package, you go with the package" Pretty jacked up for guy to do that to a kid who has known him as dad his whole life

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Isn't that Eric guy some kinda partner of yours? Do you have or have you had any employees ever in the huge span of ONE year you have been in your own business? As usual you giving advice when you have little or no experience.

Again....tree guys are gonna fight sometimes....they shouldn't fight sometimes but the reality is they will fight sometimes. The gm doesn't lower the piece enough, almost causing the climber to get squashed for example or the climber is a tyrant with an inferiority complex .......or both (or both are on a bad hangover....etc etc). If the boss is on the job he or someone intervenes hopefully to preserve appearance to the ho.

The guy you were employeed by in the other 4 ? years you have been in biz has a (MILLION$) dollars worth of equipment? Is that new value or current? What's he got worth a million dollars with his 5 man crew?

I was commenting on how other crews I have been on work, TV. The first guy I worked for had a very hands off approach and many guys and his jobsites were very disorganized. He was on the jobsite maybe an hour a day, yet he did less business then my current operation does. Can't quite fathom what kept him so busy especially compared to the second guy I worked for who was on site 95% of the time. And for your information I started with the second guy in '03 after working a year for the other guy. As far as equipment, I'm not going to look up the exact retail of each piece on the current market, it's been about 2 years since I did that, but yes, 2 years ago I arrived at a figure over a mil when adding them up. The point I was making (although it appears I misread a bit of greenbeans earlier post ) was that a hands off approach to management is a bad idea. Being on both types of crews and looking at the success of the one vs. the absolute failure of the other shows that the latter style is the better and greanbeans should make every effort to be on every job all the time. This allows him to nip all arising situations in the bud and not allow them to get out of control.

You want to talk equipment and time in the biz? Both guys I worked for prior to starting a biz have owned their service for about 25 years.

1st guy with hands off approach.
A few saws
Some climbing and rigging gear
A toyota station wagon
A late 70's 1 ton
A late 70's chuck n' duck
A early 80's International flatbed
A walk behind stumpgrinder
-most equipment is in poor shape and usually takes some fiddling to operate.

2nd guy with hands on approach.
Many saws
Plenty of climbing and rigging gear
A 09 3/4 ton duramax chevy
A 00 International 4900 w/arbortech box
A 00 BC1800
A 00 International 4700 with ALC
A 00 International Paystar 5000 triaxle log truck with Prentice
A 00 SC752
A 06 John Deer Ct332 tracksteer
A 07 New Holland 190 skidsteer
A almost new Rayco T185 hydrostumper/forestry mower
A 08 TW6 with conveyor
-every piece of equipment in perfect working order ready to go at the drop of a hat.

My point, at it's root, was that unless you're running 2 or more crews and turning over at least a million a year gross you should be able to find the time to be on every jobsite and not rely on a 25 year old hot head to represent your company.

treeslayer

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
My point, at it's root, was that unless you're running 2 or more crews and turning over at least a million a year gross you should be able to find the time to be on every jobsite and not rely on a 25 year old hot head to represent your company.

but it's HIS business, and he didn't rely on on a known hothead.;)
And leaving a competent man running the crew frees the owner for bidding, repairing stuff, fishing, hunting, etc......:D

Chris, you getting snowed on? 20 degrees here, snow flurries and accumulation forecast for Saturday.

Last edited:
jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.

I am running 12 guys and I am first one there and last one home. Even when I break up to 2-3 crews, I manage to spend time with each crew. I like it when I have them all on one job like the job we are doing now.
Jeff :D

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
He is young, 25. Very wild. 600HP Nitrous Mustang, a few 4x4 fords with 44" tires, rebel flag, the whole deal!

Seems this boy's true colors were pretty obvious. Frankly, how sgrean runs his show is none of my business I'm just pointing out that some of the blame lies on his shoulders. I wouldn't leave a guy like that out there representing my company. I just couldn't. A good portion of my selling point is that I am going to be on the job, I am going to be doing the work and I have a vested interest in making the customer happy.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
but it's HIS business, and he didn't rely on on a known hothead.;)
And leaving a competent man running the crew frees the owner for bidding, repairing stuff, fishing, hunting, etc......:D

Chris, you getting snowed on? 20 degrees here, snow flurries and accumulation forecast for Saturday.

Had some this weekend, nothing's sticking though. Looking at a little accumulation this weekend....####. lol

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Blakey Baby! We gotcha man.:clap: MOXY - Save some for the trees!

Ahh, its a beautiful day and the guy I had lined up to take down this last little poplar is half dead of flu. I am going to have to sift through my brain and think of some project to do:

1. ball joints in F150. just the one side.
2. cut boards/ logs or split wood( that sounds fun, its not too wet)
3. Allright I am bringing the F150 in, I have been looking at those new ball joints on the shelf for about a year now. Would have been great to split but I gotta save myself for this little crane job with 48Inch tommorow. Its in Reading! Where he gets this stuff:confused: I am gonna shoot up in the Outback first thing in the morning so I am going to have to get up before 8. Don't recall what's that like but if its worse than getting up after 8 then I hope the drive don't kill me.

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would have to be backed up three months to see the value in using a crane as I need all my income. If I were that busy you bet I would use one:cheers:

i hear ya ! Problem I run into is not even getting job in the first place . What takes me n my crew (we r NOT slackers BTW) all day Many of these guys who own there own crane can do in 3 hours . . And they do three jobs in one day. I bid a job over summer , BIG oak , Gonna take two days . Plus comen back for stump . I will need 1 extra laborer for two days . I need 2k for this job . HO was cool and seemed to like me . So we he called and asked If I could match the TWO other lower bids (from reputable companys) and just couldnt do it . $1450 n $1500 ! He said " sorry man" N I said "I understand". I hear from a good source that the company who did the tree got there bout 8am and was gone by 2:30 . Stump ground and everything raked up n blown off freakn outa there.

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
NOPE! His little 22 year old GF showed at the shop one day. OMG!! I wouldn't leave the house! :hmm3grin2orange:

I think the stressor like I said, was the divorce of his parents, although a step dad, all he has ever known, bring in the divorce and a guy telling a son, that since they are separated "you go with your mom, your not my son, you came with the package, you go with the package" Pretty jacked up for guy to do that to a kid who has known him as dad his whole life

"your not my son"?!?!?! That makes me wanna pound some mofos head in. If U KNOW its true then I guess MAYBE alittle slack/understanding may be in order . Problem is...he will HAVE to just accept it and move on . And one more thing...I may catch hell for this one...is your climber a heavy drinker? I know climbers can be a wild bunch and ya boys will b boys n work hard play hard and ya ya ya but I really think if he drinks alot or often that his problems have only just begun . I hope Iam wrong .

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
As for me today...Finally got to the gym . First time since spring . Wife n I were able to but memberships on hold so we started em back up . Man it was nice . Really took my mind off of the stresses of the past season . Finished my work out with 10 minutes in the hot tub . My master plan is to work 2 mayb 3 days aweek as weather permits , lookn after my elementary age kids when I am not workn (save on babysitter cost) and hitten the gym . Taken down some handy size cherry trees tomorrow .

treeslayer

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
As for me today...Finally got to the gym . First time since spring . Wife n I were able to but memberships on hold so we started em back up . Man it was nice . Really took my mind off of the stresses of the past season . Finished my work out with 10 minutes in the hot tub ..

My God, the dreaded G word.....:D too many guys bringing it up....:censored:

Old guys like me, the ROPE, the TREEVET, and grumpygrandpajeffy :hmm3grin2orange: wait, wait, wait, longer and longer then and longer.....

than we wizz and go to work....:laugh::D:laugh:

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
I should start going again too. I'm more like Treeace though. You won't find me there from April through December but I was a regular last winter. Still have my membership.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Today we finished removing a pine tree someone else had started. The other company were actually gypsies impersonating legitimate tradesmen. Upon realising the task was beyond their skills, they actually had one of the workers fake an injury as an excuse to flee the job in a hurry.

Not a big tree by any means but still had to be rigged over the house etc. When I got up there I discovered that they’d actually cut over half way through the top but just left it without telling the client....cars and house underneath an all....never said a word, just left the job!

Thankfully we were able to arrange a city-crane to help out, too risky otherwise....although it added another £350 to the job.

In a sense the client was partly to blame for going with doorknockers offering cheap labour....but on the gypsies part (cutting through the top) still rates as some of the most reckless behaviour I’ve seen in treework.