whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
I call small and easy jobs gravy work I mean I get it nothing there o land me on the cover of TCIA or anything but without that kinda work I couldn't move from point A to point B I mean they fill up holes nicely and honestly what looks like a joke to some bozo may be a job that ya broke your ass on , that's at least my opinion of it ... I don't care whatev

I look at it the same way

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Phone was rocking again today. I busted out a little emergency job (storm damage) for my condo account, then bid another one (that I haven't heard back on), sold another 20" Sycamore in the front yard, easy access and did it, then bid another little tree that I've got to do in the morning (ran out of daylight). Still have another estimate that I was not able to get to today and stumps to go back and grind. Business is heating up but I haven't heard back on any of the larger stuff I have bid in the past two days yet. It's all competitive bids so they'll either go with me or some other numb nuts will be working his ass off for peanuts.

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hijacked a chipper today. A virgin 1890 brute with a winch, not a scratch on her. Putting her through the paces in the morning. I really want a 1390 hd, but I wasn't going to pass on this monster for a few day...it might change my mind.

squad143

squad143

Tree Guy
I hijacked a chipper today. A virgin 1890 brute with a winch, not a scratch on her. Putting her through the paces in the morning. I really want a 1390 hd, but I wasn't going to pass on this monster for a few day...it might change my mind.

Sweet.

Had the Bandit rep. In my area give me a quote on a new 1390 last fall...... Ouch!!!!
Hoping that they had a cheaper demo. Nope.

Let us know how the 1890 works out.

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sweet.

Had the Bandit rep. In my area give me a quote on a new 1390 last fall...... Ouch!!!!
Hoping that they had a cheaper demo. Nope.

Let us know how the 1890 works out.

Oh well, gotta spend it to make it and ya can't take it with you. Better than watching the goverment run away with it anyway.

Got tired of watching the ground crew fight a 12 inch, and all the "firewood." Might rent it for 6mo. and then the rental fees applies to the purchase. One more muni contract and I'm in for sure.

I'm looking at 42K for the 1390, not bad for what it will do over the course of its lifetime.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Really, I love it when I throw a good 30' top in the neighborhood and have the whole neighborhood come out to watch... And film... And have two cars stop by asking me what the name of my company is... Lord knows I love the tree life! :yoyo:

sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
So I get called by the news, they want to interview me about the wind and the soaked ground. Meet them at a park, she was going over the Q's and the wind would crank up, trees would start cracking and popping in the middle of the shot, I would stop talking and look up, she didn't, kept happening, and she was getting frustrated that I was looking up, I told her "you need to start looking up too!"
Then she looks at me and realizes that she has a tree guy and he is concerned that something is going to come down,she understands the threat, but doesn't flinch, GET THE SHOT!, then a big one hits, almost blows us down, 50-60mph gust for about a 30seconds, you can hear trees breaking, but she stayed stoic, determined to get the shot in! Pretty hard reporter! Anyways it was pretty interesting. I kept thinking, how ironic it would be if she is interviewing me about the hazards and we get taken out on film! We made it out there unscathed! But a park visitor didn't, as I left, a chunk of deadwood came down on a car and broke a back window! Wasn't that big, but big enough. Who go's to a park, filled to the brim with big old trees, with their baby's on a day like that? Kept think, as I watch these little tykes running around, if she could be charged with neglect if those kids got nailed, I dunno, just found it pretty irresponsible.
Then the news anchor, when introducing the story, says International Society of Arborur! Then kept saying "die" when I said "dormant"
Oh well, got a good shot in at the bubbas and storm generated door knockers.
They didn't say my company name, which is my fault, she asked what I wanted to be titled as, I just said CA, didn't think about them not saying what company I own, didn't matter, they found me, I had 18 calls yesterday! Here weeeeeeee GO

Ground is starting to get tacky, now if we can just stay a way from any moisture, I think I might be able to get into some of this stuff that I have been sitting on

Last edited:
sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Also had a client call and give me the go on pruning about 30 decent sized trees in her front yard. Lady was going to sell, but when I created a vista view of the river through her woods, she told me that they decided to stay put, "so sharpen them saws Scott, we have a lot of stuff we want done" She added in a very large dead pin oak removal on the back side of the conversation, schweeeet!

tree MDS
Good for you guys that are working! My phone has been completely dead... other than the telemarketers, that is. No biggie though. I kinda plan on it this time of year.

Spent $1168 at the paint store yesterday. Imron is right at $300 for a gallon of sprayable material (for my green). I got two because I don't wanna be running out halfway through a paint job. I also wanna redo the one ton at some point this year, so it won't go to waste.

I got about a week and a half to get the chipper done and out of the shop. The parts for the bucket are due around then, so I gotta have a place to store them while we rip the old stuff off the truck. So its plenty of time... I'm hoping anyway. Pretty laid back projects, for the most part. They make for good beer thirty material as well. Long as everything is done on time, all is good.

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got a call yesterday from a landscape architect we do work for. Got to meet with them tomorrow morning on a new clients property in Kirtland hill$. A 32 acre estate and they want the entire property renovated! They want to start in the back yard, 5 or 6 huge trees hanging over the pool to be removed asap before they start leafing out in the spring. Sounds like I'll be off to the races as soon as I get my chipper truck back :rock:

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
Also had a client call and give me the go on pruning about 30 decent sized trees in her front yard. Lady was going to sell, but when I created a vista view of the river through her woods, she told me that they decided to stay put, "so sharpen them saws Scott, we have a lot of stuff we want done" She added in a very large dead pin oak removal on the back side of the conversation, schweeeet!

Nice. I love it when I get the first name treatment...then I know I'm in.

treeclimber101

treeclimber101

UNCLE BUCK
Its off to finish up the pine by 1pm and then we start a big Norway today , I mean I am digging this year so far , could be an early spring slow summer or maybe just maybe a better year but for me I am gonna make it better I want another truck and chipper bad ...

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Its off to finish up the pine by 1pm and then we start a big Norway today , I mean I am digging this year so far , could be an early spring slow summer or maybe just maybe a better year but for me I am gonna make it better I want another truck and chipper bad ...

We're gonna get a small chipper this year for pruning and small td's. It has been working ok for now on tight spots to take the toyota and 14' single axle trailer into yards, load brush so it can be choked while attached to back of big chipper and chip at lot or road but be even nicer to back little chipper right up in yard. Don't forget guys, when you buy a bigger chipper...you will likely miss some of the aspects of the smaller one....or even newer one (no payments).

We miss the schit outta that bc1250 we sold when #### got real slow the year after the hurricane cleaned everybody outta tree bucks and weak trees and the hillbillies invaded.

treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good for you guys that are working! My phone has been completely dead... other than the telemarketers, that is. No biggie though. I kinda plan on it this time of year.

Spent $1168 at the paint store yesterday. Imron is right at $300 for a gallon of sprayable material (for my green). I got two because I don't wanna be running out halfway through a paint job. I also wanna redo the one ton at some point this year, so it won't go to waste.

I got about a week and a half to get the chipper done and out of the shop. The parts for the bucket are due around then, so I gotta have a place to store them while we rip the old stuff off the truck. So its plenty of time... I'm hoping anyway. Pretty laid back projects, for the most part. They make for good beer thirty material as well. Long as everything is done on time, all is good.

Just paid $3k for bucket repair for in the boom hyd line and some other stuff. Sometimes you just take it up the poopie and move on.:blob2:

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite

I heard that. I've got some benchmark goals within range myself. Someone asked me the other day: What do you do for fun? I work. I work for the fun of it.

Sure, I've got vacations planned and I want a Jeep to take to off road parks again....one of these days. But for now, I enjoy building what will afford the proper tools for a solid mid-life crisis. :msp_biggrin:

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
We're gonna get a small chipper this year for pruning and small td's. It has been working ok for now on tight spots to take the toyota and 14' single axle trailer into yards, load brush so it can be choked while attached to back of big chipper and chip at lot or road but be even nicer to back little chipper right up in yard. Don't forget guys, when you buy a bigger chipper...you will likely miss some of the aspects of the smaller one....or even newer one (no payments).

We miss the schit outta that bc1250 we sold when #### got real slow the year after the hurricane cleaned everybody outta tree bucks and weak trees and the hillbillies invaded.

A few of the reasons I am thinking of keeping the 12" woodchuck, easy to work on, it's paid for, it's a solid backup, and it's handy enough to get into small situations, big enough for TDs. Might even help spawn a second crew.

Can't pass on a bigger chipper now though, too many large Ash TDs on the city agenda, and I've taken over the handling of all their Brush. We've worked out a dump site and I'll hit it when it's worth doing on an hourly.

The iron is hot.