whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having the morning coffee and looking through the new sherrill catalog. My jaw just dropped at the price tag on the grcs. Wow.. $2880.. $458 for the truck hitch receiver. Please, that's officially a complete rip off now!!

Maybe Greg has developed a coke problem. Just saying.

guess I have to say something for post to take

227189d1330772455-pin2-jpg

They'd send us back up for that back in the day (and to paint every cut with you paintpot lol)

Yeah, I see the stub. I couldnt reach it from my bucket setup, plus it didnt look that bad when i was about 10 feet from it. I do understand what you mean about the more experience you have the more you will leave. Its something that will just take time.

Jared, I would get some plywood for that BT! Those things get stuck so easy on wet soft turf that I dont even chance it any more. Unless the ground is frozen solid or dry as the desert, I lay plywood, seems like a pain at first, but then it just becomes part of the routine. It will save you lots of grief and mula. Tow trucks are not cheap and I hate coming back to fix turf. If ya dont know, and this goes out to all. Never pay full price for plywood, buy 3/4" tongue and groove decking, look for the stuff that is busted up on the T&G, the big box stores cant sell it as the builders want that T&G perfect. I can usually get 3/4 T&G for about 10-12 bucks a sheet, as compared to 30-40. Don't ask a worker, get the manager. Never use wafer or particle board, will bust the minute you drive on it.

I have 12 - 3'x8' alturna mats. They are buried in my shed right now. I want to figure out somehow to mount them to the truck so i have them with me all the time. Been thinking about making a bracket to mount them on the top of the cab guard infront of the bucket. Have also been thinking about mounting them ontop of the chip box also. One thought was to make a rack that i could slide them in ontop of the tool boxes, but then that would block my access hatch to my hydrolic resevior. I am kinda leaning towards on top of the toolboxes more them ontop of the cab guard or chip box. I gotta mount them somewhere because its a pain to have to load them up when i need them.

Off to play an hour and half of racquetball til 9 am then do some work. Not one call from blow but at least 5 people died about 30 miles from here. Area where I go to ride my motorcycle. Tons of damage....devastation.

Plenty of tree guys will pack up and drive down into that area. I would feel like an ambulence chaser. To each his own.

I have 12 - 3'x8' alturna mats. They are buried in my shed right now. I want to figure out somehow to mount them to the truck so i have them with me all the time. Been thinking about making a bracket to mount them on the top of the cab guard infront of the bucket. Have also been thinking about mounting them ontop of the chip box also. One thought was to make a rack that i could slide them in ontop of the tool boxes, but then that would block my access hatch to my hydrolic resevior. I am kinda leaning towards on top of the toolboxes more them ontop of the cab guard or chip box. I gotta mount them somewhere because its a pain to have to load them up when i need them.

I've yet to come up with a good spot to mount plywood on my forestry bucket. On top of chip box would work but I hate that it would take 2 guys to load them all up, PITA. My plywood is in the back of the truck right now as I have a chip truck I use on most jobs anyway. Usually I just keep the plywood on the trailer with the miniskid which works well. In most cases, if we need the miniskid, we need plywood and vice versa.

Off to play an hour and half of racquetball til 9 am then do some work. Not one call from blow but at least 5 people died about 30 miles from here. Area where I go to ride my motorcycle. Tons of damage....devastation.

Plenty of tree guys will pack up and drive down into that area. I would feel like an ambulence chaser. To each his own.

Man! you guy got it bad out that way. I hate to say it but hope you get some work out of that storm. I seen a picture this morning of a school bus inbedded into a house.

Good luck with that. I had an 06 ford with a terex/southco combo when I was on the ROW. They sent me a rack that welded up on the top of the boxes in front of the chip box vertically. After that I decided to redo it horizontally, but never got to it before I left. It was a pain either way. If ever I get a set again they will be happy in the bed of a pickup and be done with it. Not trying to discourage you, just given my limited experience with them.

The only idea that comes to mind is that if you were to put them on top of the box, maybe you could build some cages that would hold six a piece and rig off the knuckle to boom them off somehow.

I've got lots of family in Southern IN. Mostly in Clark County but not where the storm hit thankfully.

Whos selling them for $2308? I paid $2500 for mine.

Check out Sherrill's price guarantee: Crushing Prices

Treeman supply (a site sponsor) is selling them for $2499.99 http://www.treemansupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GRCS

Sherrill with match their price and Take an extra 50% off the difference. When you do the math, it comes out to $2308.

I got a smokin deal on a Silky Hayate from them a few years ago with their price guarentee.

Sherrill Tree - Tree Gear, Tree People.

-Great company I will add.:clap:

I will shut up now!

I hall them in the bed of one of the trucks or the dump trailer. We treid to put them up top, never made a bracket, used 2" ratchet straps, never had a problem with them moving, but it is a MAJOR PITA, to get them up there, down.......not so much! Plus I hated the look of having a stack of old nasty plywood on top of my truck, mats wouldn't look to bad. You have some money laying there, 12 = mula!

I will shut up now!

You dont got to shut up. I was kicking myself in the ass about not taking a couple of the ground mats with me. Good thing is, I got to go fix some other ruts and topsoil a stump that i ground last fall so i will just swing in and hit it too. Maybe a wheel barrel of topsoil should do the trick.

Cool trick i learned the other day. if you take and cut small branches in 2' lengths, lay them infront of the tires and drive over them. they will help you not to sink in as far.

Yeah the mats are expensive, but you cant use them if you dont have them, and renting them is a pita.

Gonna be getting me a wraptor soon too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see the stub. I couldnt reach it from my bucket setup, plus it didnt look that bad when i was about 10 feet from it. I do understand what you mean about the more experience you have the more you will leave. Its something that will just take time.

Lol, yeah I bet old vet hardly touches a twig when he prunes! :laugh:

He is right though..

I keep plywood up on top of the cab guard strapped down with a ratchet strap. Its a 2 man project to load/unload but it works pretty well as they're right in front of the truck where they need to be. In the winter they stay in the bed.

How much do the 3x8 alturna mats weigh?

Man! you guy got it bad out that way. I hate to say it but hope you get some work out of that storm. I seen a picture this morning of a school bus inbedded into a house.

When I went to bed last night the death total was 5. On car radio this am it was at 31 in this area and I am sure it will go up.

We got a little rain and light winds. Could have moved up this way tho but tracked south of us.

Latest posts

Back