whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did my first completely solo crane tree as an op all went well but had a few guys with me that never really have done crane removals before...

should I unhook the pick from the crane before I send it through the chipper????
should I stand there and look like an idiot when I need to move so I don't get crushed by this giant piece of wood that the crane is setting down???
should I try and bust my ass getting this 500lb log up a hill and 40' away by hand or should we just use the big arse crane conveniently located 10' from the log???
should I start cutting on the "other side" of the pick(once set down) so my fellow employees can just stand and watch me cut until I cut that last branch that is right on top of the chipper???
should I just go home??? yes I think you should:dizzy:

just another fun day

Which way did he go George, which way did he go?

Been slammed with work lately and it has been in the hundreds here. Haven't felt like doing anything but laying down when I get in. That's why I haven't been posting much lately.

Been busy working on my new truck. Just had a 10k receiver hitch put on it today. Needed it two weeks ago but they had to order parts. Been behind on my schedule and the financial hit from the truck has not helped. My equipment maintenance has been lacking. Got two saws down and I need to put some money into other gear and equipment. When equipment is not maintained it always seems to make jobs go slower and put you behind. Been busting balls to make the money to put into my equipment now that the truck is paid for. That is the goal of the week. Make the money then fix my stuff next week so I can get back on track.

Did a bunch of jobs yesterday, nothing crazy... branches here, tree there. Had 2 guys with me for the day... made life easier, but we still managed to finish at 6:15. Then I had to deliver an estimate and look at 2 jobs... not a bad day money wise, secured over 13K of work in one evening! Today we did a job for the town... went ok. One of my guys needs to get a major blow to die though. Told him if he doesn't do as I tell him, and get a grip I will cut off his head.

Got my stump project done for the county before lunch, looked at 2 jobs on the same street afterwards.....and got them, wrote my estimate on the spot...... 32 red pines, 43 stumps! Stumps are no bigger then 14" flare to flare, should plow thru em easy. Then my dad's priest wanted me to look at some white spruces at his Church, get there just expecting to look at what he wants done, well he asked me to dead wood 3 of them. They are fairly big white spruces. Did that in an hour, my dad put it all in a pile, he takes care of the grass and property, so he is going back with my chipper and chip truck to clean it up this morning. Then went to look at ATV's after that.....my daughters love 4 wheeling! Bought a 2011 polaris sportsman 500 HO with 3500lb warn winch and 60" plow, and a bush buggy trailer. Already have a Can-am 650. So now I might be needing a trailer to haul both!Got in at 900. More stumps this morning. Then the long weekend here in Canada! :msp_thumbsup:Weathers looking great!

Last edited:
We took out a couple dead pines, next to our local bank tower, look over as I am in the tree, have like 50 people watching me, standing in the windows, I knew that would happen, was hoping it would happen, so we made sure that we had newer shirts on and nice pants, LOL,nothing like a little free advertising. Glad I could fill up their morning with some entertainment. A set of my good jeans can now go in the work pile, bummer.........or not? Now I have a nice comfy set of Levis to tear up!

Stayin in today, to damn hot, 110 heat index, no thanks. Replacing the thermostat and the remote starter solenoid on the chipper

FYI, if u have one go out on a chipper, found out that a standard one will not work, your typical solenoid is 20-30 amps, ya need 70+ amps. 80 bucks for that little bastard, but it feels like it weighs about 5lbs. Hefty.

Also, gotta give a shout out to Alexander Equipment in ChiTown. Ordered parts on Monday at about 3pm, had them by lunch the next day. That is a good dealership, they have their stuff wired pretty tight.

Back at the movie theatre pole clipping plum trees , I mean basically just baking on a 200K sq. Ft. Frying pan , not bad though we get 15.00 bucks a tree seems like petty money but we average about 110 to 120 a day and take out less then 10 yards of chips ...and can be sitting pool side by 2pm ...

Rolled up to collegetown at about 4:30 this morning, had a change of plans and attacked 4 trees we were leaving till last. No biggie, knocked out 8 all together leaving only 5 for tomorrow. One's a fairly easy, yet risky beech, as I'm gonna murph the #### outta that sonofa, but the other 4 are a god Damn cake walk. Ahead of schedule is the way I like to roll.

Just a heads up, squad 143 from here is almost home after being in Elliott Lake, Ontario since Saturday. the mall roof/parking lot collapsed there, trapping and injuring numerous people, 2 ended up being found deceased. Chuck is on the Toronto Fire HUSAR team (Heavy Urban Search and Rescue) From what I heard from different people at the scene, it was tough all round. Hat's off to Chuck and the rest of his team that went. Rest up so you can slay some trees!

Got a big bad Oak to do in the morning... Graveyard dead with a bad lean over the house. Around 30" DBH. Gonna tie in and rope it out of a neighboring tree... Finally some helmet cam material... Getting an early start to try and beat the heat. 103 here tomorrow... Not heat index... Actual temp.

140' white fir removal

View attachment 243457
Removed a 140' white fir today with assistance from a 75 ton crane. The removal took about 2.5 hrs plus setup and break down time for the crane. The tree was 40" dbh. We removed it in 24' sections and threw the logs onto a trailer. The bottom pick was 7,000 lbs. Got most all of it with my helmet cam. Will need some serious editing, but will try and post a link once I get it up on youtube.

Did my crane jobs.

I drove up to Crestline to do three removals with the crane. I asked a good price for doing them, but the owner made sure I knew I wasn't leaving tell they were done. I assured him it it took tell midnight I'd get them done.
They brought in a 28 ton crane, There were one pine and two ceder trees on the side of a house, they were maybe 75 ft or so. To make a short story even shorter, started about 9 was done at 11:30.
The owner wasn't happy about giving me my money for 2 hours work, but he already had the check made out. He wanted me to stay and work for a few hours he said, sense the trees went so fast. I asked him was he going to pay me extra if I had to work tell dark? It goes both ways.
We went and looked at another pine removal. It's a good size one 90 ft or more, 42 dbh. Its right on the hy-way in front of a driveway. The primarys are almost touching the trunk. I'll have about a 10X10 area to take it down in. The power company's going to turn off the power on the 10th of july, they have to send out notices and what not to everyone effected. It's going to take a 066 or bigger to chunk out that sucker. I like working big trees, but this ones going to wear me out.

Hello Mr Obvious

So I spent the day, trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my chipper, wont start with a key, but I could jump it via the solenoid. Took the instrument panel of and started going thru everything, wire by wire, checked all systems, fine? What the hell? Getting frustrated, cooking in the heat and bout ready to start breaking stuff when I looked at the ground cable...............hmmmm, sumtin aint right, followed it back and found that when I had it replaced, that my guy put it to the frame instead of back to the battery. I go get long neg batt cable, turn key......ITS MAGIC! ALL THAT CRAP I BOUGHT WAS NOT NEEDED! I feel like a fool. Oh well, new starter, new solenoid, new key switch and a bunch of new wires. Pulled out the thermostat, it actually had broken on one side, one the top side. The little brass plate busted? Have never seen a thermostat actually break.

Just a heads up, squad 143 from here is almost home after being in Elliott Lake, Ontario since Saturday. the mall roof/parking lot collapsed there, trapping and injuring numerous people, 2 ended up being found deceased. Chuck is on the Toronto Fire HUSAR team (Heavy Urban Search and Rescue) From what I heard from different people at the scene, it was tough all round. Hat's off to Chuck and the rest of his team that went. Rest up so you can slay some trees!

Thanks Devon.

Arrived home last night. As I said it was exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Even though I'm behind in tree work, I plan to take a week off and spend time with the family. The kids are out of school and the weather is supposed to be nice. Looking forward to the long weekend.:cool2:

Welcome back.

Thanks Devon.

Arrived home last night. As I said it was exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Even though I'm behind in tree work, I plan to take a week off and spend time with the family. The kids are out of school and the weather is supposed to be nice. Looking forward to the long weekend.:cool2:

Way to go Squad! That was a tough deal, I heard a lot of negative comments on that one, mostly press. Hope you're doing OK, must of been a real bummer. Great work!:cool2:

Thanks Devon.

Stuff like that just makes you realize how important family is. Have a good weekend and happy Canada day boys. Cheers!

View attachment 243457
Removed a 140' white fir today with assistance from a 75 ton crane. The removal took about 2.5 hrs plus setup and break down time for the crane. The tree was 40" dbh. We removed it in 24' sections and threw the logs onto a trailer. The bottom pick was 7,000 lbs. Got most all of it with my helmet cam. Will need some serious editing, but will try and post a link once I get it up on youtube.

DS, what crane company you using there in truckee, I have 100ft. tamarack that needs to be removed in soda springs, need to get some prices.

BTW, nice pic. those white pines get big up there.

Well since I have no crane and customers wont pay for ones rental, I stayed home and worked on my junk:hmm3grin2orange: Actually fully in tended to wraptor out 3 trees dead but yesterday a small little critter put a world of hurt on my ole arse. I have been getting stung a lot this year yellow jackets seemed to have bred with killer bee's or something lol.

Latest posts

Back