whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from a working vacation. Went with a friend and his father (initially) to their lake house up by Lake George to take out 2 pines. Stopped on Thursday morning at a friend's house to borrow all of his alturnamats to get across a neighboring lawn, and we took off after lunch. Got around Albany at about 5:00 and had a blowout on my chipper... luckily my friend decided to bring a spare tire from one of his trailers, so we were able to get the problem fixed without too much trouble. Got the 2 trees down on Saturday... worked on them from about 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM... (2) 130' tall white pines... nice and gooey. Worked at least half a day on Saturday to get the wood cleaned up and gear stowed, but otherwise got to relax and had a pretty good time.

Updated pics of the bandit. Keeps cats from crapin in my yard. And now when people don't pay just let him go down the chimney. Amazing what a coon can destroy in a few hours.

473d396e-6aeb-5a47.jpg

473d396e-6afa-ed7e.jpg

473d396e-6b18-ec7a.jpg
473d396e-6b26-805a.jpg

Thats a biggy for sure, using your k boom to take the big stuff away?

ya i spent all day cutting on that mofo was a nightmare. those old trees are full of all kinds of good stuff to mess up your chains. found wire fence and a few rocks during the process. I'm uploading a movie of the trunk drop now it made a pretty good thud. we dropped about 40 foot of it since it was in a vacant field and for new road construction. turf damage wasn't an issue. only pain where the power lines.

without a crane or k-boom i wouldn't be bidding these things running an 880 all day sucks. i only have to slab it a few times with the knuckle we did the trunk in 4 pieces. my s250 bobcat couldn't lift 4-5 feet of the trunk stood it straight on its nose. 4-5 feet of it was close to 4-5k at 40 feet. at the base was close to 6-8k. it was solid very little rot in the middle.

Last edited:
ya i spent all day cutting on that mofo was a nightmare. those old trees are full of all kinds of good stuff to mess up your chains. found wire fence and a few rocks during the process. I'm uploading a movie of the trunk drop now it made a pretty good thud. we dropped about 40 foot of it since it was in a vacant field and for new road construction. turf damage wasn't an issue. only pain where the power lines.

without a crane or k-boom i wouldn't be bidding these things running an 880 all day sucks. i only have to slab it a few times with the knuckle we did the trunk in 4 pieces. my s250 bobcat couldn't lift 4-5 feet of the trunk stood it straight on its nose. 4-5 feet of it was close to 4-5k at 40 feet. at the base was close to 6-8k. it was solid very little rot in the middle.

Good stuff , after the storm work we did last week, got me thinking of a truck like yours! Would of been nice to have. We used a 60 tn terex in the pic squad 143 posted.

Ya if your in it for the long haul its a must have. not just for dismantling trees but for your back, cutting down the tree becomes the hardest part of the job not cleaning it up. thats why i started buying stuff like that so i still can walk when I'm 50.

Ya if your in it for the long haul its a must have. not just for dismantling trees but for your back, cutting down the tree becomes the hardest part of the job not cleaning it up. thats why i started buying stuff like that so i still can walk when I'm 50.

I hear ya there! We did 20 good sized insurance claims, all trees On houses and structures, turned away all sorts of work too. I insurance companies work first ! Don't have to haggle over the price! That's always nice! My price is my price!

I hear ya there! We did 20 good sized insurance claims, all trees On houses and structures, turned away all sorts of work too. I insurance companies work first ! Don't have to haggle over the price! That's always nice! My price is my price!

That's the way to be. Gotta get paid good for your efforts. The super cheap guys just come and go stick with it cranes are not out of anyone's reach.

Last edited:
Blew a radiator hose on the bucket today. Eric was behind me in the dump and noticed the leak well before the engine got hot. A quick run to the parts store and a little roadside wrenchin and we were back on the road to the next job. I've learned to take #### like that in a little better stride these days. Yeah, it's annoying but what you gonna do? Got a nice sized sugar maple to beat into submission tomorrow.

had a little leak in one of the plastic or nylon tubes that go to the control for the bucket, had a couple cuts left before we could drop the rest of the trunk under the 3 phase that we had deenergized. don't you know it we go to hook the cable for one piece and it starts gushing, ok fold her up... but the remaining 2 picks are in the most ridiculous position completely unclimbable because we took everything above it already so no tips and right on top of the wires so its not like we can leave it, those limbs were the reason we deenergized in the first place argh... couldn't reach all the way out with the crane to set a climber. only freaking set of wires in the entire town along the street just happened to have a tree right in the corner of 2 sets of 3 phase fun stuff:dizzy:

Short easy day

I drove up to lake Arrowhead today and did a crane removal on a large(no where near as large as matt's)Oak tree leaning over a cabin. Was done and got paid in an hour. Though I have been doing my share of crane jobs these last few years, I am still a novice. I miss judged where center was on a long funny shaped leader and it flipped on me. It took me by surprise and narrowly missed me. That didn't really scare me, but when the operator was trying to pull it out of a mess of branches it got tangled up in, I thought he was going to pull the tree over. That made me pucker a little.
Tomorrow I am working for a local Company for the first time. He said he's interested in hiring me full time. Don't know if I want that, but driving only 7 miles to work each day does have an appeal. Told him we'll just play it by ear. The guy's a tree freak. I think we'll get along fine. He said I was highly recommended to him by another Arborist I sometimes help out. I don't want to disappoint. Seems like a really good company, and they have a 60 ft boom(yea ha!)

We started a large prune project, all trees on site at a hi end house. Was in a really thick ash, couldn't help but be paranoid, last time I was in one like this I got mugged by those little black and white jerks, so every time I would see something buzz by, I started to panic, thinking I am going to get nailed again, lol. Then, don't ya just love it when ya get into a tree and find a couple decent sized branches that are busted from wind and need to come out,and they always need to be right over the house, crap! Flying out today to Cali, back on Friday. Califus, yes, here I come.

Line blown

had a little leak in one of the plastic or nylon tubes that go to the control for the bucket, had a couple cuts left before we could drop the rest of the trunk under the 3 phase that we had deenergized. don't you know it we go to hook the cable for one piece and it starts gushing, ok fold her up... but the remaining 2 picks are in the most ridiculous position completely unclimbable because we took everything above it already so no tips and right on top of the wires so its not like we can leave it, those limbs were the reason we deenergized in the first place argh... couldn't reach all the way out with the crane to set a climber. only freaking set of wires in the entire town along the street just happened to have a tree right in the corner of 2 sets of 3 phase fun stuff:dizzy:

Woops, know that feeling all too well. I've learnt to keep a set of replaceable special hydraulic ends in the truck of each size for just such an occassion.:msp_scared:

Still doing clean up from last weeks storm in Beaverton. Deevo is working here today as well. Had Peavy Tree bring downq their spiderlift. Man that thing is cool. Devon had a smile from ear to ear.

I want a new toy!

Back