whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a little excitement yesterday, started a simple removal for an old family friend, easy job. Started the day and weather was ok, a little snow was coming in so I wanted to get the trucks in place before the roads got bad. We get set up, start work and the bottom falls out, 3" of snow in 2 hours! WTF! Snow was supposed to change to rain, but never got warm enough, hello blizzard! Then after working in it all day, we get heading to the house and my phone starts blowing up, some lady desperately trying to get in touch with me about a emergency tree job, I GET ALL EXCITED!
Finally track her down...................................................
Emergency?
She couldn't get her dish installed till the tree was trimmed away from the roof for signal! WOW!
Gonna go bid both her trees for full pruning today!
Emergency! I suppose!
I would think it was too, if my cable was out! Gotta watch AX-MEN/Swamp Loggers!
Hey emergency work is good work either way ya cut it , just showing up to estimate usually in those situations almost guarantees ya something out of it .. I always take there emerg. as my emerg...Did ya get your heat working ???

We were in the my back acre doing a cut and burn of brush, and my old piles scattered along the fence-line. I have an armload of buckthorn and prairie plants, about to throw them onto the fire, when there is a flair-up :eek: singes of my beard, stash, edges of my eyebrows and sideburns. Had to trim off the beard and stash for the first time in over ten years :laugh: Diane has never seen me without one, she's in for a surprise :laugh:

We get set up, start work and the bottom falls out, 3" of snow in 2 hours! WTF! Snow was supposed to change to rain, but never got warm enough, hello blizzard!

2911_4299.jpeg

Is that defined as anyone born north of your northern most kin?

Lol yup that will work but I have found diverse species of yank. For instance from Mi to Pa over to Kansas up to Ut are almost southern types anymore fishermen,hunting outdoors-men folks like us down here. East of that you still have a few but they get much more spotty except NH and I was surprised Maine. I am really meaning city slicker nose high in the air are the only types I don't get along with to much and hell we have many of them here lol. I got in scraps living in Mi, cause; if you talk slow with a draw, the up tight quick talking city types think your stupid. Hell it is really just a big joke anymore but it was not in the day , I used to take offense fast when one says; what, am I talkin to fast for ya lol. I used to take offense rather easy though, now I just smile. Anyway no offense meant many of you northern bros aight, aight? I was merely pickin which we do to each other down here lol.

Last edited:
We were in the my back acre doing a cut and burn of brush, and my old piles scattered along the fence-line. I have an armload of buckthorn and prairie plants, about to throw them onto the fire, when there is a flair-up :eek: singes of my beard, stash, edges of my eyebrows and sideburns. Had to trim off the beard and stash for the first time in over ten years :laugh: Diane has never seen me without one, she's in for a surprise :laugh:

Pics or it didn't happen!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

So today... I was working by myself clearing this fenceline where they have demoed the old chainlink (still tore up a chain) and are building a new one. Referral work from my buds building the fence ( a good fence man is excellent to know if you do tree work for very long)...

Anyway, I subbed the stumps out to my stump guy (mostly because he is a friend and has three kids to buy gifts for) and he showed up with his brother in law who's father did tree work and he has done it since he has been in diapers... Talk about Wild Thing... I really like this dude. He has his own gig and owns his own 17 ton crane. Everytime he shows up on my job he just goes to work... I mean he is the type of dude that has been doing it all his life and and cannot just sit back and watch... This was a cake job, mostly brushy #### bit I had two Elms that ended up being around a foot diameter and one was around 16" and 20' tall... I was working by myself because all of my guys are out of town and my whole purpose for this job was to play with my new pole pruner... I wanted to take the entire tree down with my new power pruner... It was just me and I was playing. Anyway, my buds show up and my stumpers BIL strapped on his climbing gear first thing and climbed my tree that I wanted to take down with my PP. LOL, he said don't worry about this one, gotcha bro. This dude is truly the wild thing. He don't give a rats ass. Been doing it his whole life and just loves the work. Anyway he strapped on his climbing gear, dropped the tree and helped me load it while my stump sub ground the stumps out. We shot the #### for about an hour. My stumper was going to pay me $50 for the price I got him on the stumps but I told him to give it to his BIL. BIL told me to call him if I need the crane and said Merry Christmas. He works his ass off everytime he shows up on one of my jobs and refuses money if I try to pay him directly... Nice to have friends.

So today... I was working by myself clearing this fenceline where they have demoed the old chainlink (still tore up a chain) and are building a new one. Referral work from my buds building the fence ( a good fence man is excellent to know if you do tree work for very long)...

Anyway, I subbed the stumps out to my stump guy (mostly because he is a friend and has three kids to buy gifts for) and he showed up with his brother in law who's father did tree work and he has done it since he has been in diapers... Talk about Wild Thing... I really like this dude. He has his own gig and owns his own 17 ton crane. Everytime he shows up on my job he just goes to work... I mean he is the type of dude that has been doing it all his life and and cannot just sit back and watch... This was a cake job, mostly brushy #### bit I had two Elms that ended up being around a foot diameter and one was around 16" and 20' tall... I was working by myself because all of my guys are out of town and my whole purpose for this job was to play with my new pole pruner... I wanted to take the entire tree down with my new power pruner... It was just me and I was playing. Anyway, my buds show up and my stumpers BIL strapped on his climbing gear first thing and climbed my tree that I wanted to take down with my PP. LOL, he said don't worry about this one, gotcha bro. This dude is truly the wild thing. He don't give a rats ass. Been doing it his whole life and just loves the work. Anyway he strapped on his climbing gear, dropped the tree and helped me load it while my stump sub ground the stumps out. We shot the #### for about an hour. My stumper was going to pay me $50 for the price I got him on the stumps but I told him to give it to his BIL. BIL told me to call him if I need the crane and said Merry Christmas. He works his ass off everytime he shows up on one of my jobs and refuses money if I try to pay him directly... Nice to have friends.

Sounds like a blessing bro :cheers: Oh and I would no flip ya crap if I did not like ya lol:cheers:

The woodsman

Well today was a good one for sure, I have a client who desperately wanted to save a big old acer saccarinum in front of their home last summer I tried nearly everything to reverse the decline. My associate bet me 90$ that one year from the date we were there that the Tree would be dead, I won the Bet. It was Canada Day, July1 2009 when we bet. So july 1 2010, i went to the Tree and sure enough it developed foliage. I received a call around sept 1 and the client requested i drop by to assess the Tree again. It was struggling badly, they requested it be removed. I told them in 2009 after they invested quite a bit to try and save it that if it was going to die, I would not charge them for removal, just the boyz were to get their labour$. So today I went in bright and early temperature around -17 celcius, and climbed up and gave it a trim. Shortened the width and installed a bull rope. Hooked the big boy up to the come-a-long onto my 97 sierra hitch and cut the gob.
Put a nice back cut in and my boy began to winch `er. Five minutes later the massive chunk of hardwoods were laying in two feet of snow for the first time in history. I sliced it and diced it, then delivered it to another woodsman who was willing to pay a fair buck for unseasoned unsplit fresh woods. The Client paid well beyond what we agreed on, christmas bonus bucks. I declined at first, but who can refuse bonus bucks. That was my day 2day in case anyone was wonderin! hope y`all had a good one 2. :chainsawguy:

have spent the last 4 days running my logsplitter to try and get some of the wood Ive collected this fall split up as fast as I can split it it seems like people stop by and buy it...Ill tell you what after 30ish hours of splitting Ive had enough for a while but it is nice to have a little money to spend on the wife for Christmas, this evening my saws all got there christmas presents in the form of 7 new plugs and air filters 7 new chains 4 new bars and 1 new clutch, their all cleaned up again and ready to rip

have spent the last 4 days running my logsplitter to try and get some of the wood Ive collected this fall split up as fast as I can split it it seems like people stop by and buy it...Ill tell you what after 30ish hours of splitting Ive had enough for a while but it is nice to have a little money to spend on the wife for Christmas, this evening my saws all got there christmas presents in the form of 7 new plugs and air filters 7 new chains 4 new bars and 1 new clutch, their all cleaned up again and ready to rip

Merry Christmas Damon, My power pruner got a new KNG spark plug today as well... Even though I didn't get a chance to use it as much as I wanted to... :cheers:

Seems my boss knows your boss and doesn't like what he knows about your boss and the way he runs his outfit. I didn't dig, figured it must be something personal.

Of course, after the 1099 comment, it kind of makes my wonder if your boss is skeevey enough that he's 1099ing you.

And after you basically called me a liar on these forums twice, odds are if we ever met, i'd knock your teeth down your throat. .

actually took a few days to cool off and not post in anger or whatever.

the only way your boss would know mine is if your company was one the "local" companies we embarrassed down in nyc. or if you guys are also a line clearance company as well and came down doing the beat up work they do....

marquis tree has a great reputation around our area and wherever we travel to. marquis tree is 100% legit and btb. everyone is on tree comp. everyone. we get vaca, health and retirement bs. all that good stuff. i too am an employee. what your boss has heard is sour grapes from people who have seen him grow and surpass all they ever dreamed of. i don't hang my hat on a losing horse. go check out our angieslist and other places of reference. customers are happy with us. thats why i worked 60 hours last week. in our area and not traveling to 3 different states.

you don't think what i write gets read? nothing i say here on these sites tie in my employer to what i say so they don't give a ****. just because i come on here and break balls makes me a rep of the company? i don't think so.

anyway just humor me then, andy. take a pic of your boot next to the 8675's out rigger pad. its the same as the 90ton. be able to recognize it. same thing with the grapple of your chipper..... its not that hard.

hell man. the way i see it is that buffalo isn't that big of an area and out of all the companies i found none had the set up of what you speak. surely some one out there has to have heard of your company? anyone i have asked says they've never heard of you.

and hey we do the many tree gigs as well. the one crane tree jobs are for the b crew. i've worked for the state the feds and the towns. that **** ain't that big a deal.

and on a side not you are too far well spoken for a farm boy with no college education who been rip'n trees for his whole career.

anyway, i hope our paths do cross someday soon.

Latest posts

Back