whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice sized maple. Looks like fun, but is that an echo I see? tsk tsk.:biggrin:

yeah, he's hiding his shameful face!:msp_biggrin:

003-14.jpg

Hi Mike, don't be mad, but, your sig is bigger than your post's. I quess you must have a reason to push the cert#, still larger than your post.
Jeff :confused:

Bigger as in spacial dimensions? Or bigger as in more content? I'm using the forum in a program tapatalk so I don't see posts the way they are. As for pushing the cert, I only put it in my sig because others put their tools in the sig so I thought id do the same.

004-16.jpg

Its actually not 10 of 2012 its 12 of 2010. Fooled me too, must have been fooling the cops too cause I haven't gotten a ticket.

I figured since the retaining apparattus for the rear tank was shot I would do something about the 10 gallons of nasty crap in the tank.

007-7.jpg

This is just what I blew out of one line

011-6.jpg

Nice to see ya'll still beatin on AA and ridin OD's wood. :msp_tongue:

Ahh, yous all can do what you want to, God knows I do. Ropes, it probably don't show but you have been in my thoughts, hope the outlook is good. Sell the 40 and everything else, RETIRE NOW, drive a school bus a few hours a week.

I got this for Blakes:

002-14.jpg

The red clevis locks onto the crane cable just above the ball, run the climbing line through the STEEL ring, I use a beener for a fatter bend radius. Still, if the ball assembly ever came off the cable its BYE BYE. They say all you can do at that point is suck in air and start flapping, they say that's an involuntary relflex. I believe them.
I was looking at one of my Havens grips. Something like this could be used as a secondary tie in point. Well, that's if yer candy ass needs a second tie in point.:msp_tongue: If you want to know where I got the crane tie in strap let me know.

I love your Alex Trebeck impersonation!!!
You are right on the attachment above the ball, you still need to heva your flip-line hooked thru the hook.
Jeff :heart:

Pretty nasty in there

005-9.jpg

I was thinking the floorboards would be shot after last snow season but this is not bad at all.

014-6.jpg

I should have done this years ago.

021-5.jpg

I got these for my F150.

029-2.jpg

Found them on CL pretty close by too. 300 bucks, pratically new and came with F150 rims so I can just bolt them on. 11/32 tread depth. I found a real nice set for the F350 for 400.00 but they need mounted.

Last edited:
I got this for Blakes:

002-14.jpg

The red clevis locks onto the crane cable just above the ball, run the climbing line through the STEEL ring, I use a beener for a fatter bend radius. Still, if the ball assembly ever came off the cable its BYE BYE. They say all you can do at that point is suck in air and start flapping, they say that's an involuntary relflex. I believe them.

That clevis looks too small, what size is it? On a lot of crane balls, hooking onto the top of ball doesn't mean you are hooking onto the actual cable, it often means you are hooking into the ear (can't remember name off the top of my head) that sticks out of the top of the ball that the cable attaches to. It's not uncommon to have a foot or more between the top of the ball and the actual start of the cable, and some of those ears are fat. I don't think that clevis would work for any of the cranes i work with.
Personal preference though, i guess-i prefer to tie in below the wedge socket if possible.

Last edited:
We got pounded by a thunder storm last nite. Sounded like bombs going off. Had 12 calls by noon and 7 more through the afternoon and evening. !9 calls in one day is a record for me :msp_biggrin:. I had to turn some away though, they are just to far. Anything 30 minutes or more away is pretty much a no thank you. I jumped on all the home town ones this evening. Some big...some small. All good. Crane job in AM. Getn my butt in bed.

Last edited:
That clevis looks too small, what size is it? On a lot of crane balls, hooking onto the top of ball doesn't mean you are hooking onto the actual cable, it often means you are hooking into the ear (can't remember name off the top of my head) that sticks out of the top of the ball that the cable attaches to. It's not uncommon to have a foot or more between the top of the ball and the actual start of the cable, and some of those ears are fat. I don't think that clevis would work for any of the cranes i work with.
Personal preference though, i guess-i prefer to tie in below the wedge socket if possible.

I also find it a little unsettling to tie off to the cable right where the frayed end comes sticking back out of what I think you're referencing as the wedge socket. I have the same issue you pointed out with Dano's set up...to small of a shackle to get below that point. I do like his heavier duty webbing as opposed to a friction saver though. I just gotta get to the store and see what I can find. BTW, what's the difference between a shackle and a clevis?

I had a bad ass day today. Did a lot, but Im not posting a 2 page rant right now to get it all in. I did a helluva lot, and made real nice coin. Took dang near 14hrs to do it. For those of ya that I text, I can send ya pics. Heres the deal, I went back to the yard to fix the stumper lite wire, cuz I had to splice it, the tounge chopped it when I gunned it up a hill, and it was getting dark and I had to hit another house. A guy at the yard informed me that a landscaper I know died 2 days ago. I as of now know no details, but I do know that he was in a tree sans any gear(free climbing). Im a lil shaken up. I used to do stumps for him on occasion, and often tried to sell him on my climbing, but he was a stuborn know it all mexi. I would stop by his jobs and everything was ass backwards. Oh well, theres nothing I can do now. I feel real bad for the family. IDK what else to say.

Bigger as in spacial dimensions? Or bigger as in more content? I'm using the forum in a program tapatalk so I don't see posts the way they are. As for pushing the cert, I only put it in my sig because others put their tools in the sig so I thought id do the same.

Ah, OK, I did not know.
Jeff :msp_wink:

tie-off options

I also find it a little unsettling to tie off to the cable right where the frayed end comes sticking back out of what I think you're referencing as the wedge socket. I have the same issue you pointed out with Dano's set up...to small of a shackle to get below that point. I do like his heavier duty webbing as opposed to a friction saver though. I just gotta get to the store and see what I can find. BTW, what's the difference between a shackle and a clevis?
as another method to connect above the swivel-the crane op can put a 1 inch master ring in the opening above the pin on the wedge socket and the socket body. this works for cranes with 5/8 and 3/4 cable with no interference problems, and doesn't conflict with the wedge action in the becket or get tangled with the dead end, and or cable clamp attached to same. your shackle and strap with round ring can then go onto master ring with no rubbing on swivel ball. all bases are covered with secondary flip line in crane hook. thanks, tom.

as another method to connect above the swivel-the crane op can put a 1 inch master ring in the opening above the pin on the wedge socket and the socket body. this works for cranes with 5/8 and 3/4 cable with no interference problems, and doesn't conflict with the wedge action in the becket or get tangled with the dead end, and or cable clamp attached to same. your shackle and strap with round ring can then go onto master ring with no rubbing on swivel ball. all bases are covered with secondary flip line in crane hook. thanks, tom.

The shackle/clevis/red thing with the pin lock for the nut and bolt will easily accomadate pretty much any crane cable you are gonna see in this industry. The shackle, forged US steel, rated and clearly stamped goes on the cable, you take the lock pine out, unscrew the nut and bolt, pop it over the cable, it slides freely but will rest on the wedge WHICH is really the ONLY THING holding EVERYTHING together so where else where you rather be.

BTW, I am not yelling, it just sounds like it.

The wedge comes apart with relative ease once the weight of the ball is off of it. I had to cut a section of cable out and re-do the thing once when this bozo tried to yank his bucket out and up. He wrapped the cable around the c-channel of the bumper... yeah, didn't see that coming. I stuck a small log in there to ease the bend radius after I took the whole hook/ball/wedge assembly off. We were able to yank it out but it still was hairy... they made me drive the bucket while they yanked with the crane. Only had one shot to get it moving then steer it backwards, uphill, and to the right so not to crash into the trees and making sure I could stop it before I ending up across the road in another yard with it. Yeah, gotta watch where ya put them things!:msp_ohmy:

Anyway, the whole set up comes right apart and you don't need tools really. The only way the wedge can come undone is if its taken apart or breaks. Tying in below that point is mute, if the wedge fails, everything fails. To stay above those points on the crane ball I suggested the Haven grip which would actually hold you on the cable by itself though I wouldn't wanna. It would catch you if the ball dropped so to speak.

treejob_044.jpg

The ball is usually two halfs that bolt onto the wedge/hook. It is just a weight, it does not secure anything. I told this guy he should peen the bolt end cause the nut was about to fall off. You just hand tighten the nut and bolt then smack the end of the bolt to peen it over to keep the nut on.

Yeah, it rides on the frayed wedge thing. Where else is better?

treejob_079.jpg

I was at this company years ago, they did it right, only the illegals had driver's lisences, the owner was a juiced up cocaine cowboy ( oh the parties :msp_wink:) , everybody was out on parole and who knows what was in store each day. Biggest company in the book.

I was hired as a sub for a season, I drove my own truck, had a gas card, did my thing and went home mostly. Sometimes we would go out, I would hook the tips, hit the ground while another dude cut it while I got my 200 feet of rope ready to go back up in one breath. Its the trunk that gets ya. Watch out for the fat ones.

But what is the point of having a crane if you can't ride it? Maybe some companies have policies just because, but if it can't confidently pick me up then what good is it with 9K? It no more dangerous than a local carnival ride.

Nice to see ya'll still beatin on AA and ridin OD's wood. :msp_tongue:

Ahh, yous all can do what you want to, God knows I do. Ropes, it probably don't show but you have been in my thoughts, hope the outlook is good. Sell the 40 and everything else, RETIRE NOW, drive a school bus a few hours a week.

I got this for Blakes:

002-14.jpg

I was looking at one of my Havens grips. Something like this could be used as a secondary tie in point. Well, that's if yer candy ass needs a second tie in point.:msp_tongue: If you want to know where I got the crane tie in strap let me know.

I thought the strap was too long at first but now that you explained it I like the idea.

Back