whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not getting much done today. Brought two tractors up the to shop for maintenance. Need to move one so I can get the other out, but the battery (7 yrs old) decided it was time to quit. Took it into town for exchange, but have to wait to ship one in tomorrow. Just came in from the woodlot project. Good thing I don't have a schedule to meet. See that rip over my left knee ? Chainsaws have no respect for brush chaps. My chainsaw chaps are still in good shape haning in the shop.:biggrin:
attachment.php

Occupational hazard

Just setting here reading, listening to some tunes and manning the phone. Kind of resting up and recovering from a tough week last week. I've got to go look at some jobs and collect some money later on but me and my guys are resting today. My thoughts are with Matt.

I don't want to muddy up his name on a thread that is there to remember and memorialize him. And I didn't really want to start a new thread for this subject since most of the guys that I like to communicate with read and post on this thread anyway.

I have known many who have died in this industry and most were not taken out by the job hazards but by their own personal ills. And it's easy to do when you have the ways and means to self destruct. I mean really, I don't have to tell any of the seasoned guys here what kind of money is out there to be made when you do the work we do... People taking pictures and videos while you are working... It's like being a rock star sometimes. I have had to wrestle my own demons before. Thank God I survived those periods in my life. I think of those that I know now that are making the big money and I know for a fact that they have big problems in their life. It worries me sometimes but it's all I can do to just take care of myself.

One of my first groundies came to work with me when he was 16. He was an orphan who's mother and father both drank themselves to death by the time he was 14. He lived in a trailer park with his drunk aunt. Other than a sister, that is all the people he had in the whole world. He came to work for us (I was working for the original climber that I started out with) when he was 16. He came to live with us in an old farmhouse where we all lived and worked together. The owner of that tree service had a pretty bad accident where he couldn't work for awhile. I had been going in my own direction at that time. I helped the guy as much as I could but I was finding my own ground then and was working my own jobs. When we split ways I kind of inherited the groundy. My old boss told me to take the kid and work him. And work him I did. We lived together through hard times... I'm talking about camped out on the river hard times. He worked for me off and on till he was 24. He celebrated his 21st Birthday with me. In the end he had found an older woman and shacked up with her. He was 24, she was 40 and had a problem with pills. Nobody twists anyone's arm into anything out there in this world but I know that had my groundy not hooked up with this woman he would have not been on the heavy pain killers that ended up taking him out. He passed out one night due to the combination of pain killers and alcohol and drowned in his own vomit at the age of 24. I still think about that kid all the time and wonder what might have been had he not hooked up with that chick. And he is not the only one I have seen take themselves out, there have been many. One ate a bullet at 35.

Anyway, I guess all I'm trying to say is take care of yourselves out there.

Let me see what did I do to day I pruned a Silver and landed more work for the next month. Good day!

In behalf of the HO, you turning your tires in his driveway might of pissed him off. Black tire circles. Maybe not, I dont know, just felt like:tongue2::tongue2:e posting!
Jeff

That happend to me when I first started in the biz. I went back and dumped their 6 cans of garbage in the apron the very next day. When it happens now I just wait for them to walk up to the window so I don't have to holler at them when I tell them I don't really care and to look out. That's is just one example of how I much I have grown. I am more assertive, I don't have to pull covert ops. I am more efficient getting the truck in position which means more profitable.

And by the way Jeff, don't be afraid to remind them boys of your real experiance and tell the guy who got his face in the crane ball that you are supposed to tie into it, not dry hump it. Wouldn't i feel bad if I goosed him and he took his teeth off that thing. Its to close and it looks like something you'd see in S n M.

I like to dangle a few feet lower than the hook assembly so I can move around. I think this is a pretty common thing to do.

treejob_049.jpg

Just trying to help ya out old schooler Jeff. Either how OD has his or you get what I have, that rope through the cable ain't no good.

I don't know, now days i'm working a fairly tall sheave block. When i'm actually riding it, i don't like dangling around underneath it like a worm on a line. I tie in near the top of the sheave, put a foot in the hook, lean back on my climbing line and ride that way till i drop off to work underneath it.

Hope it was a basal prune! Them things are #### trees IMO! Congrats on the workie though! :cheers:

It was a smallish limb maybe 6" at the collar over the guys green house and he was nervous about it breaking. It was perfectly healthy and had great structure and dead wooded the rest of the tree. I personally hate Silvers but they make me some good money. Thanks, this fall is panning out to be pretty busy.

I don't know, now days i'm working a fairly tall sheave block. When i'm actually riding it, i don't like dangling around underneath it like a worm on a line. I tie in near the top of the sheave, put a foot in the hook, lean back on my climbing line and ride that way till i drop off to work underneath it.

I must be missing something...can u post some pictures of what you described

Yesterday's work. Probably 40% of the ruined books are out. Got to actually go earn a living today so can't help out but will be back on Wednesday to keep plugging away. After all the books come out of the basement the bookshelves, walls, ceiling and everything else has to go. Focusing on the books for now to get the most moisture out to prevent mildew smells etc. from affecting the good ones upstairs.

attachment.php

Yesterday's work. Probably 40% of the ruined books are out. Got to actually go earn a living today so can't help out but will be back on Wednesday to keep plugging away. After all the books come out of the basement the bookshelves, walls, ceiling and everything else has to go. Focusing on the books for now to get the most moisture out to prevent mildew smells etc. from affecting the good ones upstairs.

attachment.php

Man that really sucks, lots of good knowledge sitting there.

Borders is going out of business here. Your books made me think of this. I went in to see if they had any type of tree book. NOPE. Asked the manager "tree books, hmmmmmmmmmmm, not really, but try over there" I go over there, they had a couple tree ID books that I already have, nothing else. But they DID have at least 100 books on pot! WOW!

Was out tell late with my daughter and one of my dogs searching the woods for a lost autistic 8 year old boy. The area is pretty rough and over grown. We have one S&R crew missing, but I'm sure they'll show up now it's light.
I hit the snooze button 5 time this morning, then the phone rang. It was my boss and he canceled todays job because its thundering and lightening up there, with rain and hail. Thats not going to help search efforts.
The kids a runner and will hide they said, I was told if we spotted him he might have to be grabbed or he would run off.
This is starting day two and I'm just heartbroken. It was scary for me last night in those woods and can't imagine what he's going through.
I was thinking of going back up today, but they're intensifier the efforts and bringing in S&R from surrounding countys and more aircraft, so maybe its best to leave it to the pros.

Close call on White Oak removal yesterday. My buddies job. Limb landed in a lower fork and stuck thankfully because the rigging line landed slack on the back of his neck after pulley failed. Stay safe fellas.

Close call on White Oak removal yesterday. My buddies job. Limb landed in a lower fork and stuck thankfully because the rigging line landed slack on the back of his neck after pulley failed. Stay safe fellas.

Glad no one was hurt. I have never trusted those rescue pulleys for tree work.

Yeah oak removals and CMI rescue pulleys don't mix. No #### sherlock. WTF are you doing?

Had a check bounce today from a job last week. Really screwed me up with all I've got going right now. Had to spend an hour in the bank! :angry:

This punk already made me come out there twice for a check and then it bounced... You can imagine what I'd like to do to the little prick.

Finished a big one today, collected and got yelled at over the phone all day by customers because I am behind right now... Hectic day. Sometimes I wish I could have someone handle all the business and me just climb...

Back