whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped a spar and was bs'ing with the homeowner for about 5 minutes and realized I forgot to turn the helmet cam off. :msp_thumbdn: He didn't seem to mind but it still bothered me. I wouldn't want someone doing that to me. I'll delete the footage.

Trimmed 4 Pears, 3 Maples and a Cherry today ...

I had a 100' + Pin Oak scheduled for today, but 25 mph winds made me switch to this trim job. They were all small ornimentals so I took my $100 chipper/vac in the back of the Colorado, leaving the chuck & duck and dump at home.

The thing handled everything I threw in it from eight small trees, and then vacuumed up all the smaller trimmings and leaves, it really did make cleanup much faster.

The only thing I didn't downsize on this job was the price. I know you guys are not too concerned about cleaning up after yourselves, but if you were, you would find one of these chipper/vacs really useful and time saving.

The only thing I didn't downsize on this job was the price. I know you guys are not too concerned about cleaning up after yourselves, but if you were, you would find one of these chipper/vacs really useful and time saving.[/QUOTE]

A few rakes and a br600 is all you need. Leave the vacuuming for the wife, you hack.

Took out more firs today from the big job we've been on and off for about a month. This one about 150", spooked my climbing partner somewhat while he was on is way up. At about 70ft there was a 6ft section that was quite badly decayed, although it was hard to determine the extent without cutting through it. Above it the stem apeared to be sound again after taking an unusual kink and then had quite a full head of foiliage for the remainder. He wasn't happy so he got down....I was glad, I would rather people stopped than carry on with something they weren't happy with....not sure where anyone else stands on that sort of thing?

Needles to say I got up there to finish it, although probably would've passed in strong winds.

I think the 200t shot would make a good ad.View attachment 203287 View attachment 203288 View attachment 203289 View attachment 203290 View attachment 203291

One time $100 investment = getting rid of $100 a day man forever ...

"The only thing I didn't downsize on this job was the price. I know you guys are not too concerned about cleaning up after yourselves, but if you were, you would find one of these chipper/vacs really useful and time saving."

A few rakes and a br600 is all you need. Leave the vacuuming for the wife, you hack.

Actually I've got quite a few rakes and two BR600's, and I did let the wife vacuum and shread the leaves and debris that I blew onto the driveway with my BR600, far faster than rakes and shovels.

Also the chipper on the thing worked better than I expected, chipping every branch I cut off of eight trees. It filled the bag four or five times and what would have filled the dump truck (without chipping) fit nicely in the small bed of the Colorado along with the chipper/vac and all my other trim gear.

You call me a hack, but I hire and fire guys like you all the time. In fact, that $100 investment in my chipper/vac has replaced another wage drone like you Mr. holden the woody.

Last edited:
Actually I've got quite a few rakes and two BR600's, and I did let the wife vacuum the leaves and debris that I blew onto the driveway with my BR600, far faster than rakes and shovels.

You call me a hack, but I hire and fire guys like you all the time. In fact, that $100 investment in my chipper/vac has replaced another wage drone like you Mr. hold the wood

Doubt it, a C.A that climbs without the use of ladders or spikes and no criminal record to boot. I'm way out of your price range.

Took out more firs today from the big job we've been on and off for about a month. This one about 150", spooked my climbing partner somewhat while he was on is way up. At about 70ft there was a 6ft section that was quite badly decayed, although it was hard to determine the extent without cutting through it. Above it the stem apeared to be sound again after taking an unusual kink and then had quite a full head of foiliage for the remainder. He wasn't happy so he got down....I was glad, I would rather people stopped than carry on with something they weren't happy with....not sure where anyone else stands on that sort of thing?

Needles to say I got up there to finish it, although probably would've passed in strong winds.

I think the 200t shot would make a good ad.View attachment 203287 View attachment 203288 View attachment 203289 View attachment 203290 View attachment 203291

Reg, the pictures are coming up as invalid links for me.

I had to do two large white pines on the same property a few months back that sounds a lot like what you were dealing with. Both lightening struck in years past with large cancors 3/4 of the way up (that I hadn't seen in advance). The first one I felt comfortable enough with to get up in it and blow the top out. The second was too punky and in a tight drop zone... I came down and literally pulled a tape on it to figure out if I could blow a big enough top out without having to go above the cancor. I made it work.

Judgement calls like that is what separates the men from the boys... Or the experienced from the inexperienced... Anyway. it's a judgement call that one lives or dies by.... Beats the hell out of worrying about buying a vacuum cleaner to vacuum a yard for a hundred bucks any day though... I'd rather deal in thousands.

Last edited:
buckthorn5comp.jpg

They had to take the pic when I was only dragging two twigs to the pile :laugh:

For those of you who don't know, JPS is a rather large dude, those are actually 2 - 12" trees he has there. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

pics of the boys screw up on the maple last week.....

look at the stumpage pic, its pathetic

DUDE!
Those guys would be running from me. That there, is a rep killer.

Someone get out the RAID, I see the cockroach is back. I love it when someone suggest a tool to him, and he always has 2 or 3, "just layin around"

Pruned a large broken walnut branch over a 3 season room yesterday. They had a hedge on site that was dumping more apples than I have ever seen, yard is literally covered in them. Ankle twistin mothers.
New climber is doing ok, he improved his cutting over the weekend, think he sensed my dislike! I wasn't going to call him in on the walnut, but he showed up ready to go. I know he is hurting, so I couldn't turn him away.

They were all small ornimentals so I took my $100 chipper/vac in the back of the Colorado, leaving the chuck & duck and dump at home.

The thing handled everything I threw in it from eight small trees, and then vacuumed up all the smaller trimmings and leaves, it really did make cleanup much faster.

Video or it didn't happen :hmm3grin2orange:

I had a 100' + Pin Oak scheduled for today, but 25 mph winds made me switch to this trim job. They were all small ornimentals so I took my $100 chipper/vac in the back of the Colorado, leaving the chuck & duck and dump at home.

The only thing I didn't downsize on this job was the price. I know you guys are not too concerned about cleaning up after yourselves, but if you were, you would find one of these chipper/vacs really useful and time saving.

Aerial Mason- I think the next piece of equipment you buy should be a concrete pumper. Even though the up front cost isn't cheap, think of the time you will save and you will be way ahead of your competition!

Smacked that ash down yesterday. Thing wound up being more sound than I was thinking. That and returning some phone calls made for a thirsty/late night. Texted the boys and told em we're starting at 8:00 today. Nice being the boss sometimes. Lol.

More bucket queenery today. Love that truck!

pics of the boys screw up on the maple last week.....

look at the stumpage pic, its pathetic

Wow. It's a miracle no one got hurt on that one.

Some guys never get the whole hinge thing...I know a guy doing line clearance that buzzed his hinge off of a dead poplar in high winds, it laid over and hung in a nearby tree and it kicked back off the stump and pinned him backwards over a log. Had it not been for a passing farmer and a helicopter, he wouldn't have made it. 6 months of recovery and a year later and was still doing it occasional last I knew. 8 years doing it as a power company employee and not progressing at all. Great guy though, but was always a bit worried about working with him.

Smacked that ash down yesterday. Thing wound up being more sound than I was thinking. That and returning some phone calls made for a thirsty/late night. Texted the boys and told em we're starting at 8:00 today. Nice being the boss sometimes. Lol.

More bucket queenery today. Love that truck!

I find thats the case more so with ash then expected

Reg, the pictures are coming up as invalid links for me.

I had to do two large white pines on the same property a few months back that sounds a lot like what you were dealing with. Both lightening struck in years past with large cancors 3/4 of the way up (that I hadn't seen in advance). The first one I felt comfortable enough with to get up in it and blow the top out. The second was too punky and in a tight drop zone... I came down and literally pulled a tape on it to figure out if I could blow a big enough top out without having to go above the cancor. I made it work.

Judgement calls like that is what separates the men from the boys... Or the experienced from the inexperienced... Anyway. it's a judgement call that one lives or dies by.... Beats the hell out of worrying about buying a vacuum cleaner to vacuum a yard for a hundred bucks any day though... I'd rather deal in thousands.

Not sure why the photos are invalid. I'll attach them differently

talked to my morons this morning, the guy that cut the maple didnt like the fact he was getting a week off and paying for the damages and tried to ague with me about it that was the iceing on the cake, i grabbed him up by the collar and showed him the door to the shop for the last time. Kinda ashame that a guy with six years of experiance would be such a fool. As for my other guy that was there he i dont believe was to blame, he is primarily one of my truck drivers with minimal cutting experiance and was at the truck unchaining the loader when sam dropped the tree. Decided not to fire him but had a long talk about teamwork and although he is a drive there is no reason why he cant be out spotting a cutter in those situations.

Got my insurance guys quote this morning too, no structural damage on barn or boat, only cosmetic, total cost: 2159 bucks, not as bad as i thought but if anything like this happens again i'll prob go postal. Not only did it take off my bottom line for the quarter it put a blemish on my flawless reccord and i cant fix that

I don't think you can hold your employee liable for damages and I am pretty sure that is going to open you up to a lawsuit from dude. You might want to check with a lawyer first. Just sayin.

I don't think you can hold your employee liable for damages and I am pretty sure that is going to open you up to a lawsuit from dude. You might want to check with a lawyer first. Just sayin.

that is the last thing i want or need, but at the same time neglagence needs to be delt with. If there is a legal way to take it from his last two checks, believe me, i will. And thanks for the heads up!

Back