whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife received a phone call from a guy who saw my videos on YouTube and said he needed a person who climbs trees like I was doing. He hand a "big" dead tree and wanted to know if I would look at the job. Then he asked where we were. My wife said that we are just outside of Toronto. He said "where?" Finally, he found out we were in Canada.......

He's in Ohio.:dizzy:

My wife kindly told him that he most likely wouldn't be happy with the price we'd have to charge.:hmm3grin2orange:

She told me this story when I got home last night.

I asked if she got his phone # and she said "no, what for?"

So I could forward the job to my pals on "Arboristsite"!

Now she knows.:msp_biggrin:

My wife received a phone call from a guy who saw my videos on YouTube and said he needed a person who climbs trees like I was doing. He hand a "big" dead tree and wanted to know if I would look at the job. Then he asked where we were. My wife said that we are just outside of Toronto. He said "where?" Finally, he found out we were in Canada.......

He's in Ohio.:dizzy:

My wife kindly told him that he most likely wouldn't be happy with the price we'd have to charge.:hmm3grin2orange:

She told me this story when I got home last night.

I asked if she got his phone # and she said "no, what for?"

So I could forward the job to my pals on "Arboristsite"!

Now she knows.:msp_biggrin:

Probably one of my dumb ass neighbors lol. Had a guy 2 doors down from me have a tree service from across town come out to trim their trees, when there's 4 or 5 tree services within a mile from their house. Who knows, maybe they're friends with the owner or something

Well, the little man is doing great and should be discharged from the labor and delivery ward today. Yesterday he tested borderline for Jaundis, so he was placed under a UV light yesterday afternoon up until about an hour ago. He was not a happy camper by any stretch of the imagination, which made it a tough night for my wife.

But, all is well now. I am holding him as I type this, and he is sleeping comfortably. He is doing amazing!

My wife is still doing well, although more sore today than she was yesterday. She has only taken Motrin for pain relief (even though Percocet has been offered a few times). She is powering through it and doesn't want the Percocet to transfer to the baby from the milk.

Thanks to everyone for all of the well wishes. We are looking forward to get home and introduce the little man to all of our animals (3 small dogs and 3 friendly cats). Also have many friends that are excited to come meet him!

On a positive note, the phone has been ringing off the hook since I've been in the hospital. My partner and I knocked out a tiny job yesterday (removed entire crown of a 50' tall Gumball, then felled tree in yard using a cinch line and a rope pulley system to pull it against the wind). Went quick and easy! Had 3-4 new estimate requests, as well as a few calls from estimates we did quite a while back that we had all but forgotten about and weren't ever expecting to hear from again. I am still planning on taking a majority of the next few weeks off, only accepting the best money making jobs that we can make a quick buck at and keep things rolling.

My partner worked yesterday to mount a small winch crane into the back corner of our dump truck, for lifting large logs into the bed for disposal. He got everything done except drilling the mounting holes, since my drill didn't have a big enough chuck for it. We bought the crane lift from Harbor Freight, for $135 with an additional 10% discount and $6 shipping. It has a 1000# capacity, and lifts somewhere near 90". The entire crane pivots 360* at the pole, so we can lift and swing logs into the bed. The crane boom is completely removable with just a small lock pin, so we can shoot chips into the truck leaving only the 5' pole sticking up out of the bed. We don't have the extra cash to buy a tractor or mini-skid yet, so we figured this is the next best thing to get us by. We have loaded several tons of wood into the bed on a few jobs, and our backs hated us the next day. Had to cut everything down into small pieces, and still took 3 men to lift them into the bed (which is chest height). Hoping we can use this to lift logs one end at a time that are ~6' in length.

~Will Courtier~

~Will Courtier~

Just passed into south caralina. Got 4 job since last night. Sweet. Might be heading to florida, but you can never seem to e able to get away from work

Made the trek to Ft. Wayne to pic up the bucket truck. They went through the whole lift, new bucket, control lines, fixed the lower boom insert, unf***** the wiring in the tower. Dielectric tested and ready to go! Have the TCIA sponsored EHAP next Tuesday, looking for a fun, safe season!

you shouldn't be driving and typing at the same time :msp_tongue: enjoy your trip man

I stop to piss and just picked up another job. If it keeps this up I am gonna go on vacation more offen. I am not driving and AS ing just so you know. I told the woman it was time she starts pulling her weight. I said drive or give road h##d. So she said she would dr:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:ive.

Awesome Blakes, do you need all of our addresses so you can mail out the invitations? You can stick me, Squad143 (so we can carpool),Treemandan,Stihl-o-matic, Jeff, NCTREE, TREEMDS, Eddie and Jared at one table! I promise to behave.....for the first hour!:msp_biggrin:

W:laugh:w that was a bit uncalled for , I haven't even been here in a week

Busy day. Spent a lot of time running around for nothing this afternoon... Had someone jerking my chain. If you don't have the funds to pay for tree work then why call me to come look at something you say you want done today... Had one call for a large prune over 3 different properties. Every piece would have to be rigged. Gave them an excellent price and the guy was like "excuse me"??? You heard me right buddy, I didn't stutter. And I'm not screwing with it for less than the awesome price I just gave you. My thoughts, not words.

Anyway, I got two small jobs done.

Phone is starting to slow down a little. Still have work scheduled but rain is coming in. I'm ready for a couple of days off anyway.

Finally got here. Had to stop a few extra times. 13.5 hrs turned into 15 hr because it rained the whole way threw north and south carolina, and georgia. But the good news is its 82 degrees here. Let the fun begin. Nothing like a good ride after a long ride in the truck if you know what I mean.

LOL, my great uncle is a retired KY state trooper... I remember him, my grandpa and dad drinking confiscated mooshine when I was a kid. :hmm3grin2orange:

Like to see a pict or two. All we got is small Alder around here. I did find one that was about 70' couple of months ago. Most of em bout 30 feet and skinny.

How big trunk/ht. do they get?

Were I live most are 1-2ft but its not hard to find them 3ft sometimes 4ft in parks.

I did 3 cool removals today, one cedar with 4 tops. Just climbed it to where the tops started and dropped them where ever they wanted to go. One Cedar back leaning over the house. Dropped all the limbs on the roof, caught a top. Wires every where and a steep hill coming down from the hy-way to the drop zone. Skidded rest of the tree down a steep line, then laid down the stick up hill after tying off the butt so it didn't slid into the house. Did almost the same thing to a sugar pine. I thought I made a bad choice after I got out of the tree to drop the stick. I only had a 4 ft wide area to lay it down between a tree and a welded railing at the top of the hill and it had a lean to one side(90 deg. from where it needed to go. I figured out where I had to aim my face cut to get the top of the tree to fall in that slot, and it had to be aimed as if it was going right into the railing. Everyone started he hawing and saying it wasn't right and was going to hit the railing, then the HO's drove up and wanted to take pictures, I adjusted my cut several times tell I was more then half way throu the tree so now I'm committed and nervous as hell wishing I took a few more pieces off. Made my back cut, and she landed perfect. Had the butt tied off and it caught as it started to roll into the house. I knew I could do it but everyone was making me nervous. I hate it when my flow is messed with:dizzy:
Tomorrow I have a tall Fir tree going up throu two decks to remove. All the easy shots are blocked by other trees or I'ed just jump that sucker over the rail. I got a plan though. To be continued.

Back