whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Siberian elm to me, has smaller leaves. Haven't seen any Chinese Elm that big around here and most of the American Elms are in DC getting regular infusions to keep them alive.
Crap trees, always have alot of deadwood, brittle and kind of heavy. We don't want to see the steinberg forwarding 1 chunk at a time, lets see some rigging and crunching :laugh:

Did all the mothers day festivities today! My wife wanted a nice picture of her and our girls on the beach in Florida taken from March blown up big and framed, so did that for her. Flowers and stuff. Got my mom an ipad.......she's been wanting one for a couple months.....she was really suprised and happy! Did a picnic lunch and went to the beach for the afternoon. Nice and relaxing! Packing now for our trip to Mont Tremblant Quebec, have 2 of my guys doing some stumps and small take downs while I am away til Thursday.

Well 'super', you are wrong! That is not a chinese elm! Maybe Siberian, but not Chinese!
Jeff

Looks like a Siberian elm to me, has smaller leaves. Haven't seen any Chinese Elm that big around here and most of the American Elms are in DC getting regular infusions to keep them alive.
Crap trees, always have alot of deadwood, brittle and kind of heavy. We don't want to see the steinberg forwarding 1 chunk at a time, lets see some rigging and crunching :laugh:

Siberian Elm

Yeah we did a Siberian Elm removal a month ago, not as big as that. Looks like it to me too.

I agree, Siberian.

7190299374_45c958d23b_b.jpg

I'm going to go with Chinese Elm on this one. Brittle wood if like the last. I'll get a close up of the leaves on Tuesday.

Can Matt get his K-boom close to it? Would be a breeze with that! 6 picks of the canopy and then a few more of the trunk.

Chinese elm ??? Huh seems a bit shaky ... Happy mothers day to all your moms and significant others , and Beans yea my mom wasn't a alcholic but being one of seven , I think my mom was at that point just tired , kinda was alright though got me from point A to B and kept a roof over my head and food on the table . Sorry to hear your mom was a alchoholic they can be pretty ###### to be around ..

Would it be OK to post a video here for the pros to give advice? The home owner calls it a Chinese Maple but it looks like a Locust to me. It represents a strong personal challenge to take this one down safely and with no damage.

Getting my Steiner in means taking out a drainpipe but it's broke anyway. Getting the tree out through there will be a challenge also, it's got it all; covered in Ivy, overhanging a structure and rose beds, super tight DZ and no access!

And serious advice would be greatly appreciated. It's rescheduled to Tuesday due to rain.

[video=youtube;OkI37zo-c80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkI37zo-c80[/video]

~ the Aerialist ...[/QUOT

I go with Siberian Elm. Inspect all the crotches covered in ivy. Take small pieces to start. Fairly straight forward, just a tight area. Also, put the gutter back up. Its going to be raining in your area.

Can Matt get his K-boom close to it? Would be a breeze with that! 6 picks of the canopy and then a few more of the trunk.

No way to get anything bigger than the Steiner in there, even that only makes it if we saw off the plastic drain pipe going into the ground. If anybody could get a bucket or crane close enough to reach I'd have had to bid half as much to get the job. Most tree services here are bucket queen operations, not many real climbers around anymore.

@ Zale: We did put the drain pipe back up when we left (with a $500 deposit).

Last edited:
at least he's not using a jack with wheels on it!

Using a bottle jack works, but the floor jack has a much larger top plate so it doesn't just sink into the wood. Also you don't have to cut as big a slot in the tree to insert it, mine is a low profile aluminum "racing" jack, so it's actually quite light to carry around.

No way to get anything bigger than the Steiner in there, even that only makes it if we saw off the plastic drain pipe going into the ground. If anybody could get a bucket or crane close enough to reach I'd have had to bid half as much to get the job. Most tree services here are bucket queen operations, not many real climbers around anymore.

@ Zale: We did put the drain pipe back up when we left (with a $500 deposit).

Right, right.. I'm sure it's not like it was back when you started.. when the "men were men"! Lol. :hmm3grin2orange:

This rain has me completely ####in' torqued. One more load of topsoil, a little stone, some mulch and a tree and I'd be completely done out front. Could have ####ing finished today.

attachment.php

Back