whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AS far as i know about every state has weigh limits on smaller roads here in ky with the junkie job the road department does that crane would be too much for our best roads.

But if i had it I'd give her hell. Nice machine :msp_thumbup:

I might be wrong, but with the counter weights off, it should weigh no more then a loaded 18 wheeler. Its just wider.

Anyone id this bug

View attachment 284846View attachment 284847

Removed/Murphed a few dead old Sugar Maples yesterday, one was hollow in the middle for 5' starting at the 7' mark. Strapped it and used 2 lines/pullers to pull it into the bush (that's what the customer wanted) no clean up. So as I was cutting the stumps lower for him, this thing crawls out from the heartwood area, wasn't really any boring holes from what I saw, but had some good cracks in it. Haven't found any official name for it yet......anyone help ID it?

Removed/Murphed a few dead old Sugar Maples yesterday, one was hollow in the middle for 5' starting at the 7' mark. Strapped it and used 2 lines/pullers to pull it into the bush (that's what the customer wanted) no clean up. So as I was cutting the stumps lower for him, this thing crawls out from the heartwood area, wasn't really any boring holes from what I saw, but had some good cracks in it. Haven't found any official name for it yet......anyone help ID it?

Ok looks like Jeff found it after some searching, Red flat bark beetle, haven't really seen them in my area before. oh well see/learn something new every day I guess!

Last edited:
this is what i found for boxelder bug

0998fig1-lg.jpg

I've been wanting to use a kenworth for while. That's my favorite truck on the road we usually wind up with international because they are plentiful.

I'm not a fan of Peterbuilt guys wanted me to do the kboom in a Pete but to me they all look the same from the 80's till now just my opinion tho.

Post on how the paacar motor performs that's the only thing I've been concerned with. Looks nice tho most of my stuff came from feva I'm going to try an altec next boom to me did seem a little more engineered no big advantages just like the difference between the ken and the international.

pretty sure the paccar motor is a rebadged 8.3 cummins which is a proven motor. got two of em, not a spec of problems- over 8000 hrs on each.

The flat bark beetle is the closest one i have found so far.

attachment.php

Photo above is of a Red flat bark beetle (Cucujus clavipes). Photo:Stephanie Boucher

attachment.php

Flat bark beetles have a wide range of habits. They are usually found under the bark of freshly cut logs. Most adults and larvae feed on fungi found under bark, but a few species are predaceous on small arthropods. Some species can be major pests of stored products such as cereals, dried fruits and tobacco. The Cucujidae are very flattened and elongated beetles. They are usually reddish, brown or yellow.

Yup Cucujus clavipes puniceus - Red flat bark beetle

Highly tolerant of freezing temperatures, use antifreeze protiens to survive the northern winters.

Your “upscale neighborhoods” have weight limits on the vehicles that service them that go beyond your state laws?

That statement really doesn't make any sense. One area we work in at least twice a week has a bridge you have to cross that they won't give permission for ANYTHING that grosses over 60,000 pounds to cross. The developer built and owns the streets, bridge, etc. along with the homeowners. Cheapest home in there is around $975,000 but there are a several $4,000,000 and one $6,000,000 so we like working in that neighborhood. You have to realize many of the ritzy neighborhoods 50 or so miles from Dallas have private streets.

Oh, I am sorry Mckeetree. I guess I have been obsessing over the new crane too much. Got a nice distraction tonight. Our new bucket truck showed up a few days early, wasn’t supposed to be here till the middle of next week, but then I got a call from the Drive-away service saying they would be here around 6pm. This was a cool project. FEVA has never built an all wheel drive rear mount 75’er on a Kenworth before. It was a bit of a challenge to spec it out since it hasn’t been done before. It was also a surprise when it showed up because I haven’t ever seen one before, we really didn’t know how it was going to look. I am very happy with how it came out. :msp_thumbup:
New 75' rear mount all wheel drive bucket truck | Facebook

Are you guys still jamming all of that equipment into that small lot? Why haven't you bought a nice big lot yet?

That statement really doesn't make any sense. One area we work in at least twice a week has a bridge you have to cross that they won't give permission for ANYTHING that grosses over 60,000 pounds to cross. The developer built and owns the streets, bridge, etc. along with the homeowners. Cheapest home in there is around $975,000 but there are a several $4,000,000 and one $6,000,000 so we like working in that neighborhood. You have to realize many of the ritzy neighborhoods 50 or so miles from Dallas have private streets.

Lol Los Collinus , highland park,university park I think I would leave everything but my wraptor they sold land by the square foot when I was there in the 80s :)

AS far as i know about every state has weigh limits on smaller roads here in ky with the junkie job the road department does that crane would be too much for our best roads.

But if i had it I'd give her hell. Nice machine :msp_thumbup:

I have states that do have restrictions on some side roads, Maine for example as reduced axle limits durring mud season.
MA doesn't have reduced limits for side roads. We do have a max allowable ground pressure per inch of tire. That was one of the reasons webought new, we ordered it with the 20.5" tires instead of the 16.5". Expensive option but reduces ground pressure a lot.

Most of the reduced weight limits I have seen in other states on side roads are designed to prevent heavy trucking from using neighborhood streets as cut thrus and usually have an exception for local delivery s.

I was mostly joking. We have areas that are tricky to access too. Every state is different and permits oversized loads differently . We have private roads and bridges to deal with . Most that we have encountered our 38 ton And are log truck both exceed the limits. What dbl said has matched our experience, when there is a need for your services they will grant you access. Asking first goes a long way. I was mostly responding to the wealthy neighbor comment.
This crane is ideal for large homes, chestnut hill, Cambridge , newton, Brookline, Weston. Real estate is so expense in these areas that most lots are 100% utilized either with huge homes or very intricate landscaping . Most of the large homes near the city don't even have enough access for a mini.
The other difference is most of our area is very old real estate . Its not uncommon to find monster 50"+ trees land locked by huge homes to the point you can barely see the tree from the street. We removed a sugar maple like that a few years ago growing at a 20 degree angle that 3 guys could stand inside of it was so hollow. Would have loved to have the 110 ton for that tree.

Kind of embarrassing to post after marquis, then again I have no shame. We knocked out two quick jobs with the KB crane, the big bird of paradise, was in an enclosed area next to the house, the boss wanted to keep it to plant in the yard.
We then shot over and pulled out this King palm that was growing in a breeze way. The ground crew dug out around it before we got there, I then took out the top 20 feet with the first pick, then we rocked it back and forth, pushing it with the boom tell it broke loose and lifted it out. I cut the root ball off and we laid it in the chipper. Not big money jobs, but it sure is nice having your own little crane at your disposal.
Then we went to the botanical gardens and removed a hazardous pine that was falling over. It looks like the trunk was collapsing. It was just sagging in the middle. We're going to drop off a piece of it to Varmeer for a class they're having there next week, so I couldn't cut it up. I am curious to what was going on inside that tree to make it sag like that and can't wait to dissect it.
Then I rode the boom up to the top of a big sycamore. I ran a zip line from the boom and sent down some monster clomps of mistletoe. We finish the day at the botanical gardens taking out a huge limb that was broken. The botanical gardens have their own challenges, they don't want one plant, twig or leaf hurt. That's a hard concept for our new ground people to grasp. An interesting day if not a glamorous day.View attachment 284890View attachment 284891View attachment 284892View attachment 284893

Last edited:
Back