whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So your the only one that has WC in Dallas?, I dont think so. Who gets the gigs where you need to show proof of WC? I still believe its all in how you market your self. You cant tell me with the millions of people around Dallas you cant market your business and do good.

I am in Kaufman county just east of Dallas. I put Dallas on my location because this is a more or less rural spot right where I am and Dallas is the closest thing of any size. Oh, I know plenty of tree services in Dallas with WC. I wouldn't try to blow that smoke up your ass. But as far as I know, we are the only tree service with WC in Kaufman, Henderson or Van Zandt county Texas. And don't get me wrong...this used to be a good market right here at home. I used to say keep your **** tight, keep your work right, don't let your prices get out of sight and you will rest easy tonight. That worked for my first 20 years.

I am in Kaufman county just east of Dallas. I put Dallas on my location because this is a more or less rural spot right where I am and Dallas is the closest thing of any size. Oh, I know plenty of tree services in Dallas with WC. I wouldn't try to blow that smoke up your ass. But as far as I know, we are the only tree service with WC in Kaufman, Henderson or Van Zandt county Texas. And don't get me wrong...this used to be a good market right here at home. I used to say keep your **** tight, keep your work right, don't let your prices get out of sight and you will rest easy tonight. That worked for my first 20 years.

Hello real world!
Jeff

Well, yeah, I know where you are coming from but I was just saying. I still think it kinda sucks to pay public employees salaries then have to compete against them...and I'm not the only one that feels that way. Like I said...just saying.

It sucks even more if those public employees are out on tdi. My buddy works in the town poop plant and tells me stories all the time of politicians 'cousins' getting a town or state job and then immediately going out on tdi for a phantom shoulder injury.

Its that way all over. And this has been covered several times, but, it is a major issue. So it deserves the attention. I do everything above board, and it can be a struggle. Then I turn and look over at a notorious hack, the whole family is notorious and are constantly getting arrested for drugs, burglary, drunk driving..all of it. But yet, dude has all kinds of new equipment, 2 shops and is seen all over doing work. They are horrible at it and I get rescue calls about them. They tear stuff up, cut down the wrong trees, rip people off, but nothing is done. Get sent video texts of them climbing while drunk, throwing up on the HOs roof. Like said above, when they are connected to someone at the city, nothing is done. We always say, do the good work and your rep will carry u, not always true. When ya can open up the phone book, and see 100 services, you may call 10 and all 10 are hacks, well, ya pick the best looking hacks add,thinking you are getting a pro because the phone book says they are Arborist and have all this bogus info on their add claiming to be the best. Until city's start to regulate who operates, advertisers have some sort of rules against false advertisement, it will always be this way. This is why I try to educate all my clients, so they can pass the word. But your right, most people really dont care, they just want it done for as cheap as possible, for most, trees are a nuisance and any money spent on them is a waste, that could have been a new 50" 3D TV.

Going back out to finish that prune that I stopped. Ice is all gone, so it should be a easy day............should be.

Went to the movies with my wife last nite and seen wolf on Wall Street ,and I was surprised,it was a good flick. Today I will be pruning more White Pines.

Sent from My Barrett 50cal.

Lining up work yesterday, all for February 1-14.... as usual. Lol.
I get to sit in the office and go over the books today. Yay.

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

Things are pretty much dying off here. I have 2 jobs on the table, and the phone is silent. Better than last year though. Last Dec-Jan I didn't land a single job and was framing houses on the side. Its scary sometimes but I have learned to be frugal this time of year. I get jealous of one of the local big outfits. I drive by there yard at least once a day and the majority of there fleet is out. They run 12 crews, 7 buckets and have 6-7 chip trucks, and there all towing BC 1500's. 2014 im going to try real hard to land some commercial accounts. Its all good though, im done whining!

Things are pretty much dying off here. I have 2 jobs on the table, and the phone is silent. Better than last year though. Last Dec-Jan I didn't land a single job and was framing houses on the side. Its scary sometimes but I have learned to be frugal this time of year. I get jealous of one of the local big outfits. I drive by there yard at least once a day and the majority of there fleet is out. They run 12 crews, 7 buckets and have 6-7 chip trucks, and there all towing BC 1500's. 2014 im going to try real hard to land some commercial accounts. Its all good though, im done whining!
My phones been silent since mid November.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I feel ya , I have always shied away from commercial work but without I would have been homeless along time ago , that's basically all I have for the winter , I will do 200 res. estimates in the next 2 months that will end with " Ed that sounds great as soon as our taxes are done I will schedule , you don't get to busy then do you ? " what I shoulda done is gone in to heating/ AC work they find the money real damn quick when the kids are shivering or the dog is sweating !

While I'm on my customer rant I my as well just throw out there if you can't afford Xmas presents don't ****ing guilt me into it , I did a job a few weeks ago and as the guy wrote the check he said man I guess the kids are gonna have a light Xmas this year . I wanted to choke the guy , then to top it all off I had to sidestep his range rover and watch out for dog **** piles from his 1000.00 boxer ! ****ing people make me nuts .....

Yeah, I've been working on my "networking". Trying to get my name out there and trying to figure out how to land some commercial gigs. It's not my strong point to say the least. What commercial avenues do you guys find to be the best? I'm not trying to get rich but I need some fillers to keep the guys working.

Yeah, I've been working on my "networking". Trying to get my name out there and trying to figure out how to land some commercial gigs. It's not my strong point to say the least. What commercial avenues do you guys find to be the best? I'm not trying to get rich but I need some fillers to keep the guys working.
I walk right in or call management offices drop off some cards maybe trim a few trees at a decent price and then make periodic stops and walk the grounds . I find that works in most cases , I find after you've established that groundwork with them they will start with emails and some bid packages , it takes along time for approvals however once that ball starts rolling it never really stops . I will say that don't expect home runs it's winter work , I just got a 28k job that will take all month , I teamed up with the scaper who referred me and split it right down the middle he supplies the workers and 2 dumps I do all the cutting and actual tree work so I will get a check every ten days for my equip rental and my labor so 14K for just over 3 weeks of work and hey the truck and chipper are just sitting there anywho so why not !

Back