whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with passing is not in the driving or the parking, it's all in the pre-trip inspection.

My old beater wrecker wouldn't pass the pre-trip inspection; the air brake control valve attached to the pedal started leaking. They gave me 1 hour to fix it, so I plugged up the exhaust port with a small fitting I bought at the nearby truck stop. Just one problem: once you stepped on the brakes, you couldn't release them for about 15-20 seconds. But it didn't leak any air!

I took the whole damn driving test with disabled air brakes and the inspector never knew the difference. She gave me a nice high score, probably on account of how careful I was to not race up on any stops, and how careful I was to check for cross traffic before proceeding. :laugh:
There's a reason for a pre trip inspection and if your truck doesn't pass it no matter if it's for your test or going to a job, it should be fixed first.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

There's a reason for a pre trip inspection and if your truck doesn't pass it no matter if it's for your test or going to a job, it should be fixed first.

Well sure.

We had completely worked that truck over preparing for the test. But that doesn't help if you spring a leak on your way to the testing station.

The point I was attempting to make with that little tale is that the driving inspectors are not really truck drivers, and don't know diddly about the trucks. They just nickle and dime you to death on quoting the rules back to them when you are doing the pre-trip inspection. Once you get past that, if you fail the driving test, you really shouldn't be driving.

Last edited:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

About four years ago I helped this guy with his class B. He actually worked at the time for a moron that I can't stand but he is a fairly stand up cat himself. We went through everything in one of my trucks and when he was ready to take the test he said he was going to take it in an old 8 yard '84 GMC he had been hauling a little dirt for folks with. I got a look at the truck and here is this old beat up deal with a regular inspection sticker on it, no DOT, and three tires so bad I wouldn't have started home on them. No horn, no turn signals. It was air brake and I checked the plate inside the door...32,000 GVW so it was a DOT sticker truck. I have no idea who he got to put a regular sticker on it. Anyway, I advised him NOT to bring that truck for his test.

Spent 5 hours in the office getting my estimates in line and my estimate bag cleaned out, receipts turned in, made several cold calls and emails.......checked on doing work with the state....failry pumped about 2014.....planning on doing a booth at the local home show

Finished off a rather large job today.
Been helping my friend with this one. A ton if removals plus some storm clean up.

Yesterday we dropped a lot of the trees and when the trucks were full of chips, we staged the brush so the mini could gather it today.
5yby4upy.jpg

eqenyna4.jpg

Some of the dragging distances were pretty far and it was nice to have 2 minis there.

I was surprised at how well these little machines worked in the snow. That is, until I slid sideways down a slope and flipped mine.
eha7agep.jpg

Had it on its tracks in no time and after 15 mins to let the oil settle, she was back to work.
gevudy2e.jpg

Brought in a bin for all the wood. Filled it and have another one coming tomirrow.
2e3ehyhy.jpg

Even the bucket truck saw some use.
6y5anemu.jpg

The warmer weather was a bonus.
Finally got to empty my chip box without chipping away at the frozen chips stuck up the sides and bottom.

Even washed all the salt off the truck before returning home. - man I dislike a dirty vehicle :)

Last edited:
Nice Chuck, are we the only ones doing tree work? lol. Common up Eddie, bring MDS with ya! Craploads of work in the Toronto area! Half the jobs downtown Toronto we have left are 24" alleys to get the rounds outta! Gonna be fun. Other jobs the mini has shined! Big time and fun fun fun in the snow!

I have some work to do, I just have to get motivated to do it. I kinda been in a slump lately from sitting around the house too much.

Nice Chuck, are we the only ones doing tree work? lol. Common up Eddie, bring MDS with ya! Craploads of work in the Toronto area! Half the jobs downtown Toronto we have left are 24" alleys to get the rounds outta! Gonna be fun. Other jobs the mini has shined! Big time and fun fun fun in the snow!
Do you need a passport to get in Canada?

When y'all come north across the border to get rich, insist on getting paid in American $$$. Our Canadian dollar is taking a drubbing lately.

Latest posts

Back