whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird how things go, I have done a bunch of bids lately. Didn't sign any on the spot. Weekend rolls bye. Then, Monday comes along and within a hour, you get 5 calls all with the go ahead! Schweet.

Had a bait caller this week. Dude couldn't have made it more obvious. Don't call him, he don't wanna meet, just want copy's of my insurance and a written bid with full detail of how I would do it. Just drop them in the door. Dont call to let him know ya went by. Yeah, ok, your not someone getting a price.......... for someone else...........are ya! Drive by, seen the tree, ash, wants its topped. Crap hood with a crap yard (dude isn't spending any money on anything) I told him I don't do that,fine, he still wants price on what I would do. Most people who want topping want to know why I don't do it, not him. Not ten minutes after I drive by in my highly marked truck, he calls and says that he is going with someone else, thanks anyway?

Starting a big prune job today, 7 big trees. HO is cool older lady, but has one of those dogs that goes phucking crazy when someone is there. Super high pitched squeal like bark. Dog will go silent the minute you put hands on her and give her a good scratching, the minute ya let go, she goes off. Hope like hell the HO keeps her in. I'll go insane if I have to listen to that thing all day. Atleast she is super friendly. Helluva guard dog.

Weird how things go, I have done a bunch of bids lately. Didn't sign any on the spot. Weekend rolls bye. Then, Monday comes along and within a hour, you get 5 calls all with the go ahead! Schweet.

Had a bait caller this week. Dude couldn't have made it more obvious. Don't call him, he don't wanna meet, just want copy's of my insurance and a written bid with full detail of how I would do it. Just drop them in the door. Dont call to let him know ya went by. Yeah, ok, your not someone getting a price.......... for someone else...........are ya! Drive by, seen the tree, ash, wants its topped. Crap hood with a crap yard (dude isn't spending any money on anything) I told him I don't do that,fine, he still wants price on what I would do. Most people who want topping want to know why I don't do it, not him. Not ten minutes after I drive by in my highly marked truck, he calls and says that he is going with someone else, thanks anyway?

Starting a big prune job today, 7 big trees. HO is cool older lady, but has one of those dogs that goes phucking crazy when someone is there. Super high pitched squeal like bark. Dog will go silent the minute you put hands on her and give her a good scratching, the minute ya let go, she goes off. Hope like hell the HO keeps her in. I'll go insane if I have to listen to that thing all day. Atleast she is super friendly. Helluva guard dog.
Google street view ! Get learn it use it ! Then with **** like that you can save 25.00 worth of gas and an hour of your life you can't get back !

This guy I do a lot of climbing for is out of town for some big trade show, he calls me and asks if I'll bid this job for him. He told me to "get it'', so his guys will have a little work while he's gone. I call and tell them I'll be by in an hour, but the husband leaving for work. It's not a big job, about 5 hours or less of work. I tell them 600.00 the lady looks at me funny, and says,"your a lot lower then the other guys. I was shooting for low but not a lot lower. I'm not 3 blocks a way the husband calls and ask when can I start? At the most you might be able to squeeze 800.00 if you wasn't biding against any one. Or did I screw up and miss something. I guess I'll fine out tomorrow.
I got a bid today at 8:00, then have to go do some easy removals for this new guy thats been using me a lot lately. His regular climber hates me, but he sucks thats not my fault(i told him that too)Sorry about rambling on its early and I'm bored.

This guy I do a lot of climbing for is out of town for some big trade show, he calls me and asks if I'll bid this job for him. He told me to "get it'', so his guys will have a little work while he's gone. I call and tell them I'll be by in an hour, but the husband leaving for work. It's not a big job, about 5 hours or less of work. I tell them 600.00 the lady looks at me funny, and says,"your a lot lower then the other guys. I was shooting for low but not a lot lower. I'm not 3 blocks a way the husband calls and ask when can I start? At the most you might be able to squeeze 800.00 if you wasn't biding against any one. Or did I screw up and miss something. I guess I'll fine out tomorrow.
I got a bid today at 8:00, then have to go do some easy removals for this new guy thats been using me a lot lately. His regular climber hates me, but he sucks thats not my fault(i told him that too)Sorry about rambling on its early and I'm bored.

Five hours for $600.00 ??? Hmmmmmm. You may have screwed up.

Yeah, probably.

He did tell me to get it, which I took as bid low. Their yard is only a mile or two a way, The equipment would just be sitting. I knew before hand there wouldn't be much profit, but the guys won't starve while he's a way. They were pretty happy to have work, and I picked up a job for thursday for them too. I know the owner wouldn't roll the trucks for 600.00, but he can sell ice to the Eskimos. I'm pretty good at figureing how long a tree is going to take, but I often underestimate the time it'll take to clean up the mess. Just so it doesn't run over one day it'll be alright. I still keep thinking I may of missed something every one else didn't. I'll know tomorrow.

I still under estimate the amount of cleanup on large removals. A lot of times when Im bidding it I think to myself, "ill bring on an extra groundie or 2 that way by the time my feet hit the ground this mess will be all cleaned up". Ha! rarely does that ever happen.

I still under estimate the amount of cleanup on large removals. A lot of times when Im bidding it I think to myself, "ill bring on an extra groundie or 2 that way by the time my feet hit the ground this mess will be all cleaned up". Ha! rarely does that ever happen.

So much truth in that.

My day consisted of, two small bradford pears, and a giant sweet gum (prolly 30 inches dbh) on the first job. And then three small pines and a giant loblolly (another 30 inches dbh) on the second job.

Had to rope the top out of the loblolly which probably had 100 million limbs on it, couldnt reach the top with the crane. Which really sucked cause we were down two groundies.

Well it took 6 hours just like I thought it would. I asked the homeowner what the other bids were, she said two at 600.00 one at 800.00 and one at 1700.00. She said when she told the guy who bidded 800.00 she had some one doing it for 600.00 he said he'd do it for 600.00 and mow her yard.
I picked up a other job, digging out two yuccas for 450.00 it took an hour so not a bad day. At lest a little cash made it into the bosses pocket.

Went out on a removal, getting all the gear over there in the middle of a snow blast. Driving my 2fity with my dump trailer and skid loader in the back on 1.5" of super slick snow. I was so freakin stressed that I was worn out by the time I got to the site. Then, my grapple bucket is acting up, female connector keeps popping off, WTF OVER? Get BT into yard and all set up, went up and knocked out a couple leaders off this multi stem silver, so, I should be set up to rock it out today. Hope so, this week has been a battle with little things throwin me off. Had set up to make some extra mula by trying to squeeze in a extra biggie. Gun show this weekend and I wanted to go with a few grand spending money. BTW, I hate snow. Think we have beat the record by about 10" this year. Snowiest season ever.

Did a bid last night, they call back about 2 hours later, HO says I am way more money than the others, asked if I could drop it down to their max budget, which is still 400 more than the others, I said yes, young Marine with wee ones. Couldn't say no.

Picked up this little fella today for $850 without a chain/bar. I think i am gonna love this 660View attachment 337657

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Buyer beware. I bought a 660 from some guy last season with a aftermarket exhaust for $900 and didn't take the exhaust off to look at the cylinder/piston condition. Not too many hours later it needed honing and rings.

Back