whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick storm blew through a little bit ago.....the phone rang so off to work i go....i love spring/summer storms $$$!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this accident was the result of booming down at full extension below 50 degrees without scoping in first. the line people do this on a regular basis sadly.
That's the shittiest thing I've heard all day. User error.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

big time fly swatter effect I suppose. I have been all day last 2 days boomed out all the way with my 75 footer and often think of worse case scenarios. 2 times I have been boomed all the way out with my 55 footer to look down and notice I forgot to set the riggers out of fatigue. Wouldn't get away with that with the big picker.

We've hit maple syrup spiles, square nails, bicycle chain and some clothes line hardware. Generally, I'm not too amused - My third cut with a new 30" bar and chain went right into a 6" spike the homeowner hung his clothsline with some 400 years ago. "Wouldj'a lookit that - I fergot that was there" was almost his exact answer. Can't print mine.

The worst stuff to deal with is chain link fence that the tree has grown around. Major danger doing surgery on that.
I've never, not once forgot to drop rigs on my gear. In fact, I don't even think my boom will deploy without them down. That's a real "wow" moment right there I imagine... This bucket that went over looked modern enough to have a computer in it to keep a dumbass from trying to attempt a full lateral extension . Perhaps it malfunctioned?? It flipped the truck the long way, those days must've been trying to fahkin themselves up.

Sorry I meant to quote vet. Second time in a night I've quoted one person and got another...

I will say however, I am a bit dissapointed that they only came with USB charging cords and no actual wall plug. Have to use my own.
a3u2y5uj.jpg

When you buy the sena units separate, they come with a USB charger and a cigarette plug charger.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lol, think they only have a 900ft line of sight reach:-(

If you pair them with your phone, the headset will pickup your phone a long ways away even if your up the tree and your phones in your truck on the other side of the house.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

this accident was the result of booming down at full extension below 50 degrees without scoping in first. the line people do this on a regular basis sadly.

Maybe. Also, as I posted in a different thread, from my own experience working on cape around cranes and other machines with outriggers, my first guess would be shifting sand under the outriggers. This occured in a sand pit and who knows how stable the ground was. Looks like it may have been disturbed over the years. If it's not virgin ground, it's always unstable.

Eff falling from 160 ft.... Looks like that bitz went straight back. Dunno if unstable ground or what caused it, but yeah, tragic.

Just saw it on the news. They went the 150 then an additional 75 down and embankment. Looks to me that they did boom down without bringing in the stick.

I'm surprised the machine allowed that movement to happen , most newer machines have sensors that override the operator and slow or stop the operation at unsafe angles or overloading situations . And as far as the lightning fast ride to hell .... I'm sure if you were on of those poor bastards you may disagree that may have been a very long torturous ride to certain death

The crane is what tipped it for me, but honestly, I'm looking forward to incorporating them in everyday use. I have a feeling they're going to be one of those items that you can't comprehend how you've been doing work all these years without them.

They look great, just an all around great new tool for tree work in general !! :)

“The crane is what tipped it for me, but honestly, I'm looking forward to incorporating them in everyday use. I have a feeling they're going to be one of those items that you can't comprehend how you've been doing work all these years without them."

They look great, just an all around great new tool for tree work in general !! :)

I've had them for 6 months and have been telling people this! Once you use em you'll be telling everyone they should have them! Makes the working space that much safer and much more efficient when everyone can communicate clearly!

“The crane is what tipped it for me, but honestly, I'm looking forward to incorporating them in everyday use. I have a feeling they're going to be one of those items that you can't comprehend how you've been doing work all these years without them."

I've had them for 6 months and have been telling people this! Once you use em you'll be telling everyone they should have them! Makes the working space that much safer and much more efficient when everyone can communicate clearly!
You da man !! :)

I've never, not once forgot to drop rigs on my gear. In fact, I don't even think my boom will deploy without them down. That's a real "wow" moment right there I imagine... This bucket that went over looked modern enough to have a computer in it to keep a dumbass from trying to attempt a full lateral extension . Perhaps it malfunctioned?? It flipped the truck the long way, those days must've been trying to fahkin themselves up.

if you don't program the computer for man basket duty your not in the proper chart. boom down below 50 degrees and crane tips over with nothing in basket. if you lie to the computer it will not protect you.

if you don't program the computer for man basket duty your not in the proper chart. boom down below 50 degrees and crane tips over with nothing in basket. if you lie to the computer it will not protect you.
Word.

On our Altec buckets, there is a limit switch on the outriggers that prevent the boom from moving unless the outriggers are out a certain distance. Can be a pain if you are close to a curb and the outrigger on that side doesn't go down far enough before it reaches the ground. Either you end up with a tilted truck or the other side of the truck is way up in the air.

It looks like this was a rear mount bucket that went over backwards. That means the primary counterbalance to the truck going over the rear of the truck would be the weight of the truck.

On our Altec buckets, there is a limit switch on the outriggers that prevent the boom from moving unless the outriggers are out a certain distance. Can be a pain if you are close to a curb and the outrigger on that side doesn't go down far enough before it reaches the ground. Either you end up with a tilted truck or the other side of the truck is way up in the air.

It looks like this was a rear mount bucket that went over backwards. That means the primary counterbalance to the truck going over the rear of the truck would be the weight of the truck.
It was a crane. And the rigs were deployed. From what I saw, it looks that they either over extended and boomed down to the rear, or there was a collapse of the surface underneath the rear rigs.

My big bucket won't deploy unless both rear riggers are out all the way. The mid ones are not that way. You have to get good at stacking plywood squares to get balanced side to side. Front to back is not an issue so you just have to use your judgement and a level to decide what is safe and what is not front to back as it is a rear mount and again, the truck cab is the counterweight. I have actually attached the frame of my bigger bucket to a dump truck to anchor it down in an extremely dangerous removal situation where it was the only logical choice.

Back