whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Matt we'll see if I can go. Not sure what we're doing with the 1250 yet. Still waiting on a 250 XP to get here. Then we'll probably keep the 1250 around for a little while before selling it. I got a guy who says he wants it but not sure how $eriou$ he really is.

Snow came at the worst time today so nothing got done. Had to many guys on snow detail to go out and take down that willow. Need a lot if bodies to help layout the 500 feet of ground protection for the chip truck. Coming across the outfield of a ball park. Ground just isn't frozen enough. Did some maintenance and organized my climbing and rigging gear. Realized I need more stuff. Started a wish list to hand to the boss. GRCS is on there about ten times.

I'm buying one here soon. Been selling all my unused crap to put twards stuff like that. Branch manager grapple for my tractor is on the list. I've sold like 600 in just blown saws so far, getting there pretty quick.

If you want not this weekend but next let's plan on meeting somewhere and doing the exchange I'll get her all cleaned up for you and get all the spare parts I have for it togheter . I even found a spare jackstand for it while digging through my attic looking for stuff to sell.

Found atleast 4 sets of knives for it with no nicks taken out of the blades. Get a bevel buddy to touch them up and you won't need knives for a few years. I've never sent metal through it so all my old blades just lost there edge. I'm really big on not putting raking through my chipper or chipping people's old brush piles with hidden surprises.

I bought the cheaper of the bevel buddies and they work great can run a set of blades for a long time. I usually touch them up once a week on Saturdays. Takes less than 5 minutes.

I can't spend thr money right now because of the new chipper and firewood processor. But in the summer I might wanna rebuild that 1250. Want a less exspensive chipper as a backup. Having a 20k dollar chipper as a backup kills me just makes no sense. But the ability to not have to work all night to find or fix parts is worth something.

Would be good if you needed a small crew to get help caught up also. I wanted to keep my 1250 for that but some lady had to t bone it.

Check out this home made axle setup I seen this for sale on tree trader. Looks a little scetchy.
They say its a custom setup. Looks like someone did some bad welding to fix a bent axle out of an old trailer they had laying around.
3517431_zpspyygyhrf.jpg

So I've been working with a new guy this week who knows nothing. I said earlier in this thread that I had to show him how to gas up a saw. I had to tell him when to put down outrigger pads and where to drag brush...and just about everything else for his first few days because he's just never done this kind of work but he's picking it up now and getting a feel for how things work. I won't put a saw in his hands yet but all in due time. This guy is not mechanically inclined in any way (just because he's never had to be). I'd be surprised if he could put a chain back on a saw without someone telling how to do it....the first time. I say it that way because.....while he may lack knowledge and experience...he is motivated, on time every day and incredibly intelligent in other ways. He might be one of the smartest guys you will meet on a job site. It's very obvious how smart he is and I'll take that. I can train a very smart person and he will do well once he gets experience. You shouldn't waste time with a dumb person who needs to be told over and over again. I'll take 10 of these smart guys with no experience, please. (Plus...no bad habits or attitudes and they do what I tell them to do because they are smart enough to know that my way is the safe way)

I've hurt many feelings lately I got two of the Mexicans to quit cause I made a comment about how the one guy only trimmed 30 something trees in a day in our one village contract, completely joking, I know 1 guy does about that number depending on the size. I made the comment to one guy and the other quit how does that work? Oh well

Motivated and smart? That's a rare combination these days. Bring him along slow and try to keep the yelling to a minimum. Kids today are very sensitive.

Honestly, I don't raise my voice very often unless I'm yelling "headache". I know some operations are different but I don't tolerate yelling at each other, arguing, belittling each other, etc. I just don't think that's the best way to motivate people and I know that my actions set the example and tone for everyone else.

Quick story.....a few years ago we were on a job site and everyone was working hard....I happened to be talking to the customer about something and I asked one of the guys to hand me something. He brought me whatever it was that I asked for and (without thinking about it) I said "Thank you, sir". The customer said "I thought you were the boss?" I said "I am the boss". I could tell that he was surprised and impressed but it wasn't a big deal to me at all. That's how I expect us to act every day. We're supposed to be professionals. Attitude matters.

I've hurt many feelings lately I got two of the Mexicans to quit cause I made a comment about how the one guy only trimmed 30 something trees in a day in our one village contract, completely joking, I know 1 guy does about that number depending on the size. I made the comment to one guy and the other quit how does that work? Oh well

Spanish guys discuss everything with each other, I mean everything. Pay, what jobs they did, how the boss acted toward them, who got a bonus, etc. etc. Sometimes I think they're worse than women. Told one guy a couple years ago he was using his phone too much on my plan talking more than a woman would and he got all bent out of shape and almost quit.

I had an interesting call today. There is a new guy sorta in my neck of the woods that started last March or so. He initially called his outfit Wilson's Tree Service but I noticed the other day when we talked to him at Whataburger he had changed the name on his trucks to "Art of Trees". His name is Art Wilson so the name I guess. Anyway, he tells me and one of my guys he is mother freaking kickin' ass. Working every Saturday and sometimes seven days a week. When we left I thought that's strange since we NEVER see the assholes on the road and his service area definitely overlaps ours. Then, I get this call today from some finance outfit that got my name from my banker. He wants to know if we are interested in Art's junk he financed with them. I'm not unless he just about gave it away...then I would only do that to resell it. I ask him if they were taking the stuff back right away and he says they already repossessed everything but a stump grinder and they believe he has sold that.

Latest posts

Back