whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$741.71 (+98.25 tax) of parts installed and good to go.
View attachment 493992 View attachment 493993

Not to make you feel bad but it has been so nice and beautiful around here the last few days. 75 and sunny!

So I finished moving the pile of old horse crap, wood chips and rocks that consumed 1/4 of the tennis court, there were trees, burdock and wild rose growing out of the pile. It took some time with just the little mini. It was hard to get that projected started knowing how little I can move and after about 6 to 8 scoopfuls the loader won't put anymore on so I had to dump like 30 times. Even cut out the net posts today. Right as I get done some hot horse chick comes up and asks if she can park her truck there.

Its been so nice to spend a few awesome days up the farm instead of being out driving around society with a chipper in tow but I have to get at it tomorrow.

Raised and thinned a Pin Oak, yuck. Then bombed down a white Oak into the woods with no clean up. So nice to work outside of town sometimes. Driving the chip truck back to the shop and my "foreman" says- gotta fess up, I left the climb saw on the bucket truck on Monday and realized it was gone when we got to the shop. Someone posted in the local paper they found a saw, the customer called him and told him he had read that and thought it had to be ours. Foreman calls guy who found it and said yeah if it's got throw line for a pull cord it's ours. Sure as ****, picked it up and was in perfect condition. Told him he was a lucky bastard.

Might try to source some different (ie. cheaper) bearings next time they die. The mangled little idler shafts @ $150 ea. were also unpleasantly expensive.

Forecast for tomorrow:
Hazardous winter conditions are expected. Snow, heavy at times, will begin this evening. Snow will change to ice pellets Thursday afternoon. Ice pellets will change back to snow Thursday night and end by Friday morning. Snow and ice pellet amount is expected to be 20 to 30 cm...

Ya, the weather is crap today. Was going to run up to Sheppard's and grab the Enforcer I ordered and a new wire core, but the Enforcer won't be in until next week. Just as well, shouldn't be out driving on those messy roads anyhow.

@ Chuck - ordered an ergovation saddle from Kirk at Shepherds a couple of hours ago.
Universal's price is $200 higher, so I didn't even bother troubling the good folks at Vermeer with an inquiry.

edit: also getting the Buckingham Velcro lower straps for my Kleins, based on JeffGu's recommendation.

It was a beautiful day!

Another day up at the horse farm. I am really getting my things organized and helping out the owner with some mowing and keeping the nasty brambles at bay. Its tough with all the baling twine lying around.

I fixed a little run-in shed that was about to fall down. I am really proud of myself for that one, it was a complete hack job when it was first built and now, well, at least it won't fall over tomorrow.

I have been splitting big oak rounds so I am little sore and tired.

@ Chuck - ordered an ergovation saddle from Kirk at Shepherds a couple of hours ago.
Universal's price is $200 higher, so I didn't even bother troubling the good folks at Vermeer with an inquiry.

edit: also getting the Buckingham Velcro lower straps for my Kleins, based on JeffGu's recommendation.

A couple weekends ago I took a trip across the border to Bartlett. They had an open house and were doing climbing demos and had everything on sale for that day. I loaded up with all new rigging lines and a bunch of other stuff. I came home and went on Universal's website and threw everything into a cart that I bought at Bartlett. No joke I saved $700 Canadian by shopping in the US with our dollar as bad as it is right now!!! We got waved right through at the border so we saved a little $$ on duty but it still would have been huge savings! I will drive an hour and a half for that kind of savings! I have a feeling if it wasn't for hydro one, Universal and Vermeer wouldn't be getting much action...

Spent 8 hours removing 40" DBH x 90' pin oak in the devil strip and wires. Then went to my father in laws to eat and hang out Around a fire. Now I'm gonna put in Raiders of the Lost Ark for the third time this week and try like hell to stay awake and watch it. It was a beautiful day and tomorrow is looking to be even better.

Horses. Lol. Yesterday a customer asked me if the chips in the truck were the kind you could use for horse bedding. I laughed and told him that I guess you could, it just depends how much you like the horse.:laugh: He seemed kinda lost. I thought it was funny anyway.

We use chips for horses all the time, just no walnut chips. As for bedding, mmmm not so much. Horse people are a breed of there own.

There turnouts/paddocks, mud control, trails, entrance and exit to the barn etc.

Basswood from this morning.
Helped Devon's guys the last few days. Luke is the fellow setting the choker.
40t crane with Larry the crane op. Larry is The Man!
IMG_20160327_094243272-480x640.jpg IMG_20160327_092201475_HDR-480x640.jpg IMG_20160327_094821863-480x640.jpg IMG_20160327_103548910-480x853.jpg

Latest posts

Back