whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's nasty.

I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with the charging system of my MT-55. There is 14.6 at the alternator but only 12 something at the battery.

Had the same problem, quick fix is to route another wire direct from battery to alternator. Never did tear the thing apart to see what caused the voltage drop

Looking good there Jeff.

I was dropping the Bucket Truck off at the shop the other day. The owner was just returning from the hospital with his apprentice. Seems for some reason the guy put his hand too close to a spinning fan blade. He now has a couple of fingers that are a tad bit shorter. Just the tips. Could have been worse.

Spending the day manning my friends booth at the Peterborough home show.
Wonder how may "How much does cost to cut a tree down" questions I'll get today. [emoji1]
47bca0f7c184cf7ce4f0e044581844ad.jpg

My little chipper spit the key on the chipper wheel shaft, and the pulley wandered back and forth on the shaft while spinning before I could get it shut down. Threw both belts and marred the shaft up a bit. Manufacturer sent me a new pulley, compression flange, key, belts, knife and the wheel/shaft assembly with bearings and all. In the meantime, I decided that the problem was that the original key was a tad undersized and was loose in the keyway. I bought a foot of key bar at the implement dealership a few blocks away. It is slightly larger in both dimensions, so I cut a piece to length and hand filed it for a snug fit. I could still push it out with light tapping on a punch, so it's still not holding it all in place on the shaft. So today I made two bushings out of PVC pipe (don't laugh, this was to see if my idea would work) one on the inside of the pulley to keep the key from coming out that way, and one on the outside of the pulley to keep it from coming out that way, and at the same time they keep the pulley where it is supposed to be.

3514-InsideBushing.jpg 3514-OutsideBushing.jpg

The plan is to replace these with bronze bushings... I may have to manufacture them by cutting down a long one.

3514-BothBushing-installed2.jpg 3514-OutsideBushing-installed.jpg 3514-BeltAlignment.jpg

As you can see, this is working as expected. I chipped for two hours today and believe it or not, the PVC bushing never got hot or melted. I believe the bronze ones would definitely be the cure. I have no idea why they just didn't do this at the factory. In any case, I have an entire brand new moving parts replacement set for the machine when I finally wear these ones out. As you can see in the last pic, the bushings keep the belt aligned properly and keep the pulley from trying to wander on the shaft. I actually hate these type of pulleys, they're rather famous for doing this. They use them on some of the big chippers and other equipment, too. If they spit the key, the damage to the shaft means a new compression flange and key aren't likely to hold everything tight enough without replacing the shaft, too.

Well, at least it's back up and chipping with little downtime, and the manufacturer looked at the pics I emailed them and sent everything out right away. They said it looked like the pulley probably didn't get tightened down at the factory, which is certainly possible, but I'm still convinced the key was a little undersized.

Who would have thought that working in the pouring rain while sick would make me feel worse? Customer took down a fence for us so we toughed it out. Maybe a bad idea. At least he let us hose down the equipment in his driveway.

Trying out a female worker. As an egalitarian, I have no problem with hiring women... Until I actually did. And yes, she is hot. Have to let her go Tuesday. Girl is gonna hurt herself.

Who would have thought that working in the pouring rain while sick would make me feel worse? Customer took down a fence for us so we toughed it out. Maybe a bad idea. At least he let us hose down the equipment in his driveway.

Trying out a female worker. As an egalitarian, I have no problem with hiring women... Until I actually did. And yes, she is hot. Have to let her go Tuesday. Girl is gonna hurt herself.
Why she not cutting it? Is it cause she's a girl? Not strong enough? To slow? Not learning? Afraid if the big bad machines?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Physically weak (but intelligent) is infinitely better than incredibly stupid (but strong), imo.
The latter sometimes caused frustration / irritation that lasted for hours after he went home at the end of the day.

She's probably thinking "man, this dude is a real pansy! I thought tree guys were supposed to be big and tough? This gayboy hasn't even hit on me yet"..

Lol...:laugh:

That's just what i need. A divorce, child support, a studio apartment, and a sexual harassment suit. No thanks. I did think about having her use a pipe to get more leverage to engage the chipper clutch.

I just don't want her to overexert herself and then hurt her back.

Latest posts

Back