whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about getting my 88 modded as it's a comparative slug compared to the chain speed of the 462 & 500, these two saws alone (stock) I feel change the way one use a mid size saw.

I tend to run smaller bars on all my mid-large saws for that reason, plus the balance, find it easier to make a double cut scarf with a 25" on the 661 than try to heft the 36" bar around on the same saw.
All my big saws are ported and modded except my 361 and that is gonna get done soon. I had an 088 that was ported by Mastermind Worksaws and it was great but the compression before and after made me sell it because of starting and I have arthritis in my right index knuckle. We had to 2 man start it. Sold it for 1200 bucks and bought the new 880 last spring. I even had an ms151 ported. All of them had noticeable increase in power.

This after having my 661 ported. Can't find the 088 one but will make one with my 880 soon.

lets say your fall is 6ft before being caught

180 pound person falling 6ft has a 1,080LB impact force

im just going to say, if it doesnt break your back, it will hurt for a while, and at your age, will most definitely break some stuff
Why would it be 6' before being caught when my fall arrest lanyard is about 3' long and if you fall out or are thrown out by recoil it will be bent over the edge of the bucket? Can't imagine hanging by my back like a turtle with it's legs flailing. I want to get back in. No buying it Jeff. And I fell off the top of my bucket truck last winter onto a concrete driveway. Little sore but didn't take that day off or any other ones. Nothing broke. Got rear ended on my last motorcycle and went rolling down the road and off to the hospital in the Em vehicle. Nothing broke. I lift for that.

Why would it be 6' before being caught when my fall arrest lanyard is about 3' long and if you fall out or are thrown out by recoil it will be bent over the edge of the bucket? Can't imagine hanging by my back like a turtle with it's legs flailing. I want to get back in. No buying it Jeff. And I fell off the top of my bucket truck last winter onto a concrete driveway. Little sore but didn't take that day off or any other ones. Nothing broke. Got rear ended on my last motorcycle and went rolling down the road and off to the hospital in the Em vehicle. Nothing broke. I lift for that.
fragile and stupid are two separate things, and your not fragile apperently

:p

Removed 25 red pines. Ips beetles hit them hard last year during the drought.
Mark is wearing his shoulder straps :clap:
I like the pic of "Big Dave." That husky is his baby. It's the only one left that we run.
My foreman's last day is tomorrow to start his own company. He's the one in the pic felling. We'll miss him.
I'm looking forward to the cooler weather when I don't have to harass the guys as much to wear the chainsaw pants I bought them.

View attachment 927811
View attachment 927812
View attachment 927813
View attachment 927815View attachment 927814
View attachment 927816

That dude needs to get a shave and a haircut and join the human race. I’m sorry, can’t do the stinky hippy deal.

I know the type all too well. Customers don’t wanna look at that. As an employee, that’s one thing, owner, not so much. Just calling it how I see it.

That dude needs to get a shave and a haircut and join the human race. I’m sorry, can’t do the stinky hippy deal.

I know the type all too well. Customers don’t wanna look at that. As an employee, that’s one thing, owner, not so much. Just calling it how I see it.
Three of my guys chew too. I occasionally find empty soda bottles full of brown spit in the trucks. Nasty! I guess it's a rural country thing? We live out in the sticks.

Anyway, the "hippy" guy's last day is tomorrow. He's an excellent worker. Really intuitive. Hope he eventually comes back. 27 per hour isn't a bad wage and I'd pay him more if he asked.

Just gotta say that I wore a fall arrest lanyard once I bought a bucket for my business in 2014 or so. Started tree work in 1981 as a climber, never saw any bucket operators in that era wear any fall arrest equipment. Even saw guys climb up and stand on the lip of the bucket, extended at full reach so they could get a cut just out of reach. I always expected that I wasn't going to help myself once I was hanging by my lanyard out of the bucket, that was my employees job. They were instructed on how to use the lower controls to bring the bucket down. Had one employee tell me that if I fell he wasn't going to bring me down until he got video because I was going to be hanging there, screaming like a girl. Probably true, I lost my man card years ago when it came to that kind of stuff.
1630665519402.png

Removed 25 red pines. Ips beetles hit them hard last year during the drought.
Mark is wearing his shoulder straps :clap:
I like the pic of "Big Dave." That husky is his baby. It's the only one left that we run.
My foreman's last day is tomorrow to start his own company. He's the one in the pic felling. We'll miss him.
I'm looking forward to the cooler weather when I don't have to harass the guys as much to wear the chainsaw pants I bought them.

View attachment 927811
View attachment 927812
View attachment 927813
View attachment 927815View attachment 927814
View attachment 927816

What comms system are you running here Mike?

I'm not a fan of the dorsal attachment or full body harnesses, which transfer over from other industries involving high access work.

In a previous life as a mining supervisor, issued & audited working at height activities & my first questions were always around amount of slack in system (dynamic falls) & self rescue in event of being suspended by dorsal attachment point. For an overweight adult hanging in a cheap, unpadded harness by rear attachment, the time from fall to fatal suspension trauma injury is down to singular minutes, generally far too quick for third party rescue in many applications.

In my experience, good climbers are both fitter & more experienced in taking falls & recovering from these, including inverted & lateral falls & object deflection (ie: bouncing of ****), but self recovery from a small tumble & rear suspension is pretty darn tricky, so standard front bridge attachment gives many more options for rapid self rescue, along with easier slack monitoring in the first place.

If using dorsal attachment, energy absorption lanyards & equipment on harness to self rescue, quickly, are essential, otherwise the system can be just as dangerous as hitting the ground.

In my opinion, if persons are blindly heading aloft in an EWP of any format with a generic full body harness, dorsal attachment & static lanyard it's a largely false sense of security.

check out the last pict in this vid...forget the vid but just check out the last frame, a still pict of a very dramatic set up for the potty lift...outstanding. At 22:19

takes little or nuthin to work a 15 year old ass off View attachment 928045
uhh, helping the grandparents move, spending 8-10 hours in a 110 degree box truck, maintaining 5 acres all day every day, hundreds of trees, doing engine swaps, splitting tractors to replace clutches, whatever you can name ive been doing it (including your wife)

Jeeze…. seems like I’m the only one that got any work done this week. Zinny playin video games and chatting online while vet posts pictures of his bike and big gay overcompensator shihl lol. Just saying.
I have 20 guys going strong everyday, I check in here daily but I don't feel like sharing much as long as a smart-ass punk wannabe is here in the wrong forum. He should be in 101, but you guys seem to like it, so, carry on.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!

Back