whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need equipment to do that kind of job properly. A crane or at least a log truck with a good reach would’ve made that much easier. Nice use of srt, power rangers helmet and brand new climbing line!!

You need equipment to do that kind of job properly. A crane or at least a log truck with a good reach would’ve made that much easier. Nice use of srt, power rangers helmet and brand new climbing line!!
I just bought the exact same helmet! It was smart how he threw the rope over the roof and tied it somewhere on the other side.

I hear you. I’ve thought about one for the eventual second crew, but the tractor is plenty to start (besides I can’t afford it now anyway). I guess I’m kinda spoiled in that my giant is rated to lift 4400 lbs, so even with the 60” “Boss” (lol) grapple and backing plate @ 850 lbs (give or take 50 lbs, can’t remember exactly for sure), I can still lift 3550. Not bragging, but it’s pretty sick.
I just couldn't live without a mini skid. Have had 2 latest gen diesel Dingos over atleast the last 10 years. The tight access (34" I believe), all the attachments (can't remember how many I have including both types of grapples) and the big difference maker is the 360 on a 4x4 mat sheet (or in your case plywood) is a massive game changer between your k turn versus absolutely no lawn damage with a , again, 360. You are in the stone age without one no matter what else you got. My almost new 74 hp Bobcat s650 is great but could not live without the mini. If I had to choose one it'd be bye bye to the airconditioned, heated cab cadillac Bobcat and grapple, bucket etc.

PS, you ARE bragging.

I just couldn't live without a mini skid. Have had 2 latest gen diesel Dingos over atleast the last 10 years. The tight access (34" I believe), all the attachments (can't remember how many I have including both types of grapples) and the big difference maker is the 360 on a 4x4 mat sheet (or in your case plywood) is a massive game changer between your k turn versus absolutely no lawn damage with a , again, 360. You are in the stone age without one no matter what else you got. My almost new 74 hp Bobcat s650 is great but could not live without the mini. If I had to choose one it'd be bye bye to the airconditioned, heated cab cadillac Bobcat and grapple, bucket etc.

PS, you ARE bragging.
Yep, absolutely love my Vermeer 925. Fights well outside weight division, so portable (crane on & off at most jobs), can tow to sites with an LV. On fourth machine, had two Kangas (Australian made) which are ok, but really kids toys before investing in my first Vermeer. Market the machine to clients as a compact-track loader because that is what they are, rather than mini-skids.

Was looking at a Kubota 75CTL before getting first Vermeer, but haven't looked back since getting one.

Often see clients look at the machine, thinking thats kind of cool, but small, then they see it smashing out more work than machine twice it's size. Once get a scale on my HIAB, will get some more accurate measurements, but estimate can lift & move more than the weight of the machine (which is around 1950kg with the five finger grapple).

Like the look of the loaders like MDS's machine, but am eyeballing a 5-8 class excavator for next 'bigger' purchase. Think that working with a compact track Vermeer or Ditchwitch will be absolute animal time!!

So many things I like about the Vermeer, but once really good thing about the stand on type machines is being able to work in mm proximity to crew due to visibility & being about to get on & off at a run on jobs needing all day turbo speed.

Interestingly, in my region, there is about six other tree companies. No one else routinely runs a machine (CTL, mini skid or otherwise) on jobs, preferring to stick with the old formula of more guys doing manual labour. I know which I prefer.

Re tree MDS post...You could offer me an even trade for my Altec for either your potty lift or your elevator and I would decline. Also I'd take the Bobcat before the Giant any day. Log truck?...If I had it I'd sell it and buy a crane if I didn't have one. If I did and I had the crane and the Bobcat...I'd sell it and buy a nice Porsche...and a lot...if I didn't have one...and I do. Not advice or a put down...just a discussion from different perspectives on equipment.

On thing I do like about articulated wheel loaders is ground speed.

Being able to hum along at 30km/h on a highway is very useful at times.

Occasionally dry hire a Cat 950F for moving big stuffs. Is fun, but can run over an LV & not even notice.

Yep, absolutely love my Vermeer 925. Fights well outside weight division, so portable (crane on & off at most jobs), can tow to sites with an LV. On fourth machine, had two Kangas (Australian made) which are ok, but really kids toys before investing in my first Vermeer. Market the machine to clients as a compact-track loader because that is what they are, rather than mini-skids.

Was looking at a Kubota 75CTL before getting first Vermeer, but haven't looked back since getting one.

Often see clients look at the machine, thinking thats kind of cool, but small, then they see it smashing out more work than machine twice it's size. Once get a scale on my HIAB, will get some more accurate measurements, but estimate can lift & move more than the weight of the machine (which is around 1950kg with the five finger grapple).

Like the look of the loaders like MDS's machine, but am eyeballing a 5-8 class excavator for next 'bigger' purchase. Think that working with a compact track Vermeer or Ditchwitch will be absolute animal time!!

So many things I like about the Vermeer, but once really good thing about the stand on type machines is being able to work in mm proximity to crew due to visibility & being about to get on & off at a run on jobs needing all day turbo speed.

Interestingly, in my region, there is about six other tree companies. No one else routinely runs a machine (CTL, mini skid or otherwise) on jobs, preferring to stick with the old formula of more guys doing manual labour. I know which I prefer.
I am a Vermeer guy also. On my second big self feeder chipper (200 horsepower turbo diesel Cummins 20" capacity) and second big stumper (current one 65hp with remote) from them and great customer service and parts availability. I don't think Vermeer had a mini tracked loader when I bought my first Dingo. One heavy snow day I am looking out my front window and see a tree company removing a tree.

The next thing I notice is this tiny machine go hidden in the backyard and appear with the stump, grabbed from the top like a tooth was pulled, and like an ant with something too big seemingly for it to carry easily cruises up to the small dump truck on the road and tosses it in it like you'd toss a candy wrapper into a garbage can. Hunted one down the next day and bought one. My first one was so good I bought the new generation one, tx1000, the day it became available. Bobcat has its own mini skid loader but they also still sell Toro/Dingo after they made their own. That says a lot.

Bobcat? Heat, airconditioning (worked all summer to freeze you out), log grapple, huge bucket, forks for giant logs, snow plow coming, can put tracks over tires. 1,000 hours maintained every 250 hours by Bobcat mechanics...probably good for well over 4,000 lb lift and can put on counterweights...and I paid $31,000. for it. Wonder what a new Giant like MDS' cost? And most important to me, unlike articulated loaders...the 360 turn for speed on the job and versatility...esp since I have about 50 4x8 dura mats now.

R.jpg

I am a Vermeer guy also. On my second big self feeder chipper (200 horsepower turbo diesel Cummins 20" capacity)

How do you find the 200hp in the 20"?

I'd love a Bandit 21XP, about 250hp (and around $270K new). Mind you, the Vermeer BC2100XL is packing 275hp.

Not usually a Bobcat fan, but that does look nice for some snow blowing fun.

Where are you located? I might sell my bucket and buy a new one. Its a 92 F700 65 foot hi-ranger. 70 foot working height. 45,000 miles. 6,000 pto hours. Good clean truck.
I spotted yours on the trading post. I’m looking to go with a newer setup. Worried parts will become a problem for a 30 year old truck. I do like how your truck is setup though.

I don’t know about those mini skid things. Standing on them looks dangerous and a bit too much like work to me. Must freeze your ass off in the winter.

If I could afford it and even find a good used machine the same as my Giant I’d do it in a heartbeat. That thing is like my right hand. Once I get my A/C working again (this winter) I’ll be in paradise. Too bad they had to ruin the new ones with the pollution control.
We all know you enjoy laying down plywood highways lol, but the mini skid can go through all terrains (mud/ditch, snow, soft ground). It’s a little easier to feed a chipper with one and it’s easy to get off when you need to make a chainsaw cut, etc. Price is a big factor too. A mini that picks up 1000lbs is a super capable machine and around $30 to $34k. In the grand scheme, I’d have both a mini, an articulating loader and a full size Skidsteer.

We all know you enjoy laying down plywood highways lol, but the mini skid can go through all terrains (mud/ditch, snow, soft ground). It’s a little easier to feed a chipper with one and it’s easy to get off when you need to make a chainsaw cut, etc. Price is a big factor too. A mini that picks up 1000lbs is a super capable machine and around $30 to $34k. In the grand scheme, I’d have both a mini, an articulating loader and a full size Skidsteer.
You can actually put them both easily on a small 2 axle trailer, skid loader and mini tracked stumper. STX38 Toro tracked mini stumper is the best kept secret in the business. My groundie can knock out a 6' stump with it in about 20 mins and the ground speed and manueverability and 34" access is tops in my opinion. You can change teeth in less than 20 mins.

KIMG2372.JPG

You can actually put them both easily on a small 2 axle trailer, skid loader and mini tracked stumper. STX38 Toro tracked mini stumper is the best kept secret in the business. My groundie can knock out a 6' stump with it in about 20 mins and the ground speed and manueverability and 34" access is tops in my opinion. You can change teeth in less than 20 mins.

View attachment 928272
you went with a gas engine dedicated stump grinder as opposed to a stump grinder attachment to the TX 1000 diesel.

Any reasons?

Latest posts

Back