What a Deal...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found this on craigslist.

"Have a very nice black walnut tree about 45 to 55 feet tall we need it gone. If your a insured tree service you can have it for free. "

lol. Some people never cease to amaze me. Idiots.

there was a free wood ad on craigslist locally, the guy wanted to have two med size pines taken down that were next to his house All you would have to do is be insured.....remove all of the brush, and the best of all........ REMOVE THE STUMP. you have to do all of that to get a couple free pieces of pine:confused: I was going to post the ad here but forgot and when i went back later it was flagged wtf is wrong with people?

Last edited:
free trees

I ran across an elderly couple that found the miracle that is craigslist...Several trees we need gone and you can keep all the wood...only catch is they want a complete removal done and...oh yeah...3 of the 4 trees hang over the house. They are aware of the need for a climber/bucket truck but think anyone who comes should pick up the cost since they are getting all the firewood for "free".

What they do not realize is that the money in tree work is done doing the dangerous removals and aerial work, not in the firewood, and a lot of big outfits chip most stuff anyways.

i dont get why people think professional tree guys with insurance are interested in cutting a tree for firewood???? either they have to much to begin with or they dont even bother with it, theres not a whole lot of money in it anymore??:confused:

i dont get why people think professional tree guys with insurance are interested in cutting a tree for firewood???? either they have to much to begin with or they dont even bother with it, theres not a whole lot of money in it anymore??:confused:

haha, not around here. A few tree services are saving mid size stuff they can cut for firewood because the demand is skyrocketing. But still not enough to take down a tree for free. the only way I would cut one for firewood is if it was a simple drop and cut up, and even then only if it was good stuff.

About a year ago someone asked me to drop a big (30") dead maple log in their front yard. I told them $40 and they were outraged! I said it was partly rotted and I would have to fix some damage in their yard and they told me to leave and how horrible they thought it would be to charge them for wood I was going to burn. I told them its not my firewood until its cut, split and stacked on my piles, until then it is waste from a job to be removed. They told me to leave. The log is still standing and now is rotten too badly to be used for much firewood.

around here tree companies really arent into the firewood thing because everyone and there unlce has wood for sale and there selling it cheap too so the people who make a living on wood are really hurting becuase there wood is usally about $200 for a chord for oak and then you have some guy selling wood for $100 a cord:confused: Im not really sure how you make anymoney selling a cord for 100 and to me thats not really worth it.

I am convinced that people are either completely stupid, or have not ONE little clue about the costs of liability insurance. The craigslist posters are :censored::censored:.

I am not a tree service, nor do I work for one. I would NEVER take a job like the ones listed.

Just from my own position, cutting and selling a little firewood, any extra costs takes away from my bottom line. If I had to have liability insurance, I would give up selling firewood immediately. Poking a hole in the sidewall of a tire, eats the profits from several loads of firewood.

Tree services are best left to the pro's. Homeowners need to get a clue.

agreed.
but it must work, as there are so many ads like that.
see at least 3 a week here.

personally, i'd not be warm and fuzzy about a couple guys showing up with a 1979 pickup and a wild thing and doing a tree over my house 'for free'.

k

I really think that some of these homeowners think that the wood is valuable as milled wood, not firewood. They figure it's worth $1K or something as milled wood, so that covers the removal. They just don't know what wood is worth. For years, they have been having people tell them that "That tree is valuable."

Here's one from my local CL.

Large oak tree ,yours if you cut it,needs a boom truck or a really good climber its between 2 houses and i will help..call me at 253 4063 and leave a message if no answer..thanks

I'm waiting to see an ad that says lots of clean fill in my vacant lot. Bring your excavator and dump truck and it's yours for the taking. All I ask is that you dig it to my specifications so I can pour my foundation.

:monkey:

As hard as it is to believe people are that stupid I wonder if they fish long enough something will jump on the hook.
On the other side of the coin is someone who has a tree taken down or the city takes one down and leaves it on the street side hoping people will take the wood. But they only take what they can throw into there truck. The big stuff sets and no one has enough sense to tell them all or nothing. Just a few months ago I got into one of those deals. Went up to the house to ask for the wood. Homeowner says sure take all you want its free. I said well where did all the smaller stuff go. She said they been here all week gathering that stuff, I let them have it.I took it because I have the means to process it but after wards wished I had left at least one of the nastier ones just for spite.

agreed.
but it must work, as there are so many ads like that.
see at least 3 a week here.
k

I would not believe it either, BUT, A black walnut that large is worth alot to a wood worker!!
I know of 2 people that was paid to take there black walnut trees. These where both large trunk over 40 ft and 3 feet in diameter. If you are a wood worker you can make alot of money of a balck walnut tree like that.
My brother scavanges wood like that for his little projects. Some of you need to price hand crafted furniture, you might be amazed:dizzy:

We have a guy on our local cl that has a tree inbetween his house and power lines that you can have for free if insured and you clean up the brush and stump, ill be there tomorrow :buttkick:

i always get a kick out of craigslist. my search for "firewood" results in so many adds that say "free firewood". like a dummy i click on it....."i have a big tree it needs to come down, its huge, you will get lots of firewood" i really wonder if anyone really replies to those adds. to me, free firewood is split wood stacked up that someone wants to get rid of, cause they thought burning thier fireplace would save them some green. those adds should really be titled "come take down my tree for absolutly no money".

people just dont understand that you just dont come out and wave your magic wand over the tree and poof, its firewood.

im not a tree guy, just a wood burner. and i would never go cut someones tree down for firewood. if i were to do that i would have to cart the wood over to my buddies place to split, then back to my house for stacking. i would rather pay someone to deliver me a cord of wood. people just dont get it.

I answered one of those adds. The lady e-mailed me and said a large limb fell in her yard and needed it removed. I ask how large she says easily a pick-up load. I go down and sure enough it was large. It was like an entire tree. I got 3 1/2 loads of red oak out of it. I took the splitter over and split the big stuff there. The original tree was a big old hollow city tree and was in bad shape. I ended up catchen 3 racoons that were living in it and getten 3 nice pelts out of it.

She asked me if I knew any tree guys to cut it down. I got my buddy a $800 removal out of it. I wasn't around to get anymore of the wood but I had my brother in law go over when they were cutting and he got 7 loads out of it.

So not all those cl adds are from cookes

Back