What about Echo 8000?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone use an Echo 8000? How does it compare with the other brand 80 cc saws? I saw some at the store and they all had nose guards on them. I thought they would be hard to use. I know it is safer but I expect those nose guards on big box store chainsaws. How do they hold up?

Not sure by your post, but Im hoping you didnt see an 8000 at a box store. That saw is shipped PHO to dealers only, the carb is not tuned out of the box either.

A dealer orders the BAR for it, it comes with a sprocket guard, some put them on, some dont, it's only 1 little bolt..

The dealer preps the saw, puts a tach on it, and sets the MAX no load engine speed.

Same with the CS-670.

Bottom line is it's a real hoss of a saw, still starts easily and runs like a top, lots of grunt. For the money, I dont see anyone being diappointed. NO it isnt a screamer, no it wont pull a 48" bar of full comp in 60" of Hardwood...but it can hold its own.

be careful if that is a pho dealers only saw chances are it could be a chinese duplicated saw be careful if it is in a wal mart lowes home depot etc.
they are not dealers they are big box stores which care nothing about dealers at all lowes here now sells john deere why cause they want to have all the business and push the dealers out the way well guess what when those items need repair surely the box stores dont fix units they ship them out of state to get fixed so that leaves about a 8 week time frame before you see your unit again but if you use a dealer for the saw or mower purchase that same dealer will fix that unit and you wont have to worry about it being shipped off out of state somewhere

i think i speak for all dealers on this topic

calvin

Last edited:
We had one here for a while, but sold it as it really didn't serve us any purpose. It wasn't any stronger, if as strong as our old Husky 480CD, even though it has a very similiar power curve.

I did NOT like having to pry out a little rubber plug to make carburetor adjustments.

I did NOT like the flat filter, the other Echo's we have use small round automotive type filter.

The saw did not act like it was being powered by a modern piston ported engine. It had a broad/flat power curve, no big rush of power in the upper rpm range.

Relatively heavy saw, and in smaller wood didn't cut as fast as our 268XP.

I wouldn't call it a bad saw anyplace, but it didn't bother me in the least to see it go......Cliff

Yeah, it's big and heavy.. compared to a smaller lighter saw.

When you get into this size saw, weight goes up.

No it really isnt anything special compared to other 80CC saws, except it is dead relliable, uncomplicated, and relaitively uncomplicated to work on should the need arise.

Given the choice of a MS-460, CS-8000, 385XP, or PS-7900....Id go with the Echo simply because Im familiar with them, I know parts are affordable and wil lbe around for many years to come, and I know I can rely on a simple, effective design to come through for me.

Good luck getting any decent addvice from a kid at a box store. Find a local power equipment dealer you trust and buy from him. If you don't support him he won't be there to help you when you have a question or are in a bind a need a quick repair. A good chainsaw guy is as important to me as a good auto parts guy. I give both of mine a smoked turkey breast for christmas each year. I don't smoke turkey breasts for very many people

Good luck getting any decent addvice from a kid at a box store. Find a local power equipment dealer you trust and buy from him. If you don't support him he won't be there to help you when you have a question or are in a bind a need a quick repair. A good chainsaw guy is as important to me as a good auto parts guy.
I give both of mine a smoked turkey breast for christmas each year
. I don't smoke turkey breasts for very many people

now that is what i call a good customer

Good luck getting any decent addvice from a kid at a box store. Find a local power equipment dealer you trust and buy from him. If you don't support him he won't be there to help you when you have a question or are in a bind a need a quick repair. A good chainsaw guy is as important to me as a good auto parts guy. I give both of mine a smoked turkey breast for christmas each year. I don't smoke turkey breasts for very many people

never tried that. how do you roll them?:greenchainsaw:

cs8000:
for the price it would seem you are better off with a smaller, better, cheaper saw. my opinion.

they do sell echo saws at some local hardware stores. ive seen a few ace hardware stores that have them. they are privately owned stores stocked by ace so they kinda do what they want.
mine as well look into a decent brand for a saw that size, since its that big are you professionally using it or just a firewood guy? either way ive seen some echos and i dont care for them much, i really like my ms460 though its a nice saw. not 80ccs but its close.

they do sell echo saws at some local hardware stores. ive seen a few ace hardware stores that have them. they are privately owned stores stocked by ace so they kinda do what they want.
mine as well look into a decent brand for a saw that size, since its that big are you professionally using it or just a firewood guy? either way ive seen some echos and i dont care for them much, i really like my ms460 though its a nice saw. not 80ccs but its close.

Yeah, because a saw that doesnt look like something you'd use must be a horribly functioning saw...right?

From what I understand the 8000 is a torque saw more like older saws were! I will know shortly and will post on it!

I got a guy I see on jobs now and then that just bought a new 8000 in the last year.

I have not seen it run, but he's seems to like it alot.

He's cutting some big hardwood with it and he's running a 32".

Last edited:
From what I understand the 8000 is a torque saw more like older saws were! I will know shortly and will post on it!

The 8000 motor has low, wide ports like the Stihl 038 Magnum or Jonsered 930 Super. It is a heavy saw but flat rolls through big hardwoods. If I were running I tree service in an urban area, I've probably have my hired hands stumping with an 8000. I'd save the 660 for my own use.

Latest posts

Back