What am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These two pics have exactly one face cord in them. The first is a 6 x 10' trailer, the 2nd is an 8' box of a F250

insn00.jpg

140kb5y.jpg

Both look spot on to me. Tossed in an 8' box is most definitely a third.

I traded a cord of wood for a nice chainsaw a few weeks ago.

Well.. the guy was expecting a face cord, not a cord.

As far as loading it loose in the truck, I won't do it and sell it as x cords.
I've hauled wood home loose, measured it out in the truck just for s&gs. It worked to "around" 175-200 cu ft per cord.
Too much guessing. 25 cu ft of foot is $55. Times that by 500 cords, that's ~27,000.

Stacking a cord is about an hr of work, we'll worth it. Plus the debris coming off the conveyor can get cleaned out and the wood inspected.

It's also a CYA for less than honest customers. Quite easy for someone to say, "hey that loose load was 1/4 cord short". Where when it's stacked in the truck, that's not possible.

Can't agree more Valley Firewood.

Close to 2000 cords delivered by me since 2008 when this insanity commenced Organic-Firewood.com
We toss it in loose, and 99% of the time it is dumped into their yard. Some customers will stack it up, most don't. I could "short" my loads, but there ain't no way in hell I will do that. I have stacked up probably 40 cords in 8 years, and have measured most of them as it is a chance to check the accuracy of the tossed in system. I am usually just a few percent over. Which is just fine with me, as already mentioned, cheap insurance to avoid a call back. Bad news travels fast:oops:

You guys on the eastern side of things are weird with your ricks, ranks, face cords, stove cords, etc.

I really like it when someone calls up and asks "how much for a Quart of wood?" I should wrap up a few of those... $0.50 ?

Lots of shady folks on CL.

Had some HS classmates ask me for wood. They had responded to a CL ad from some local kid offering "seasoned". This seasoned wood was actually cut and split from live trees that morning. He just put that in the stack for next year and got wood from me LOL.

Latest thing is kiln dried as every mothers son has seasoned wood ( mostly with salt and pepper, me thinks) how many of those actually have totally kiln dried materia,l i do not know, but 3-4 hours in a kiln kills the bugs doesn't due a lot for actual drying cept to the out side. Of course it is premium priced so it must be better eh?

I was looking at an outfit in New Jersey that has kiln dried wood. They are selling it for $550/cord.

It's in the kiln for 3 days. Im.not sure it can be dry that quick. We have a kiln, it takes about a month to dry a load of lumber. Now the heat could be cranked up and dry firewood quicker, but I think it would still take ~15 days.

Latest thing is kiln dried as every mothers son has seasoned wood ( mostly with salt and pepper, me thinks) how many of those actually have totally kiln dried materia,l i do not know, but 3-4 hours in a kiln kills the bugs doesn't due a lot for actual drying cept to the out side. Of course it is premium priced so it must be better eh?
Definitely over-kiln.

I was looking at an outfit in New Jersey that has kiln dried wood. They are selling it for $550/cord.

It's in the kiln for 3 days. Im.not sure it can be dry that quick. We have a kiln, it takes about a month to dry a load of lumber. Now the heat could be cranked up and dry firewood quicker, but I think it would still take ~15 days.
Did they say what the final % was? The woodmizer kiln a friend had used a vacuum pump. After heating up the wood, pumping a vacuum draws out the moisture - same as working with A/c. He could dry 1K board feet in three days to about 6%, but that was 1" material.

Did they say what the final % was? The woodmizer kiln a friend had used a vacuum pump. After heating up the wood, pumping a vacuum draws out the moisture - same as working with A/c. He could dry 1K board feet in three days to about 6%, but that was 1" material.

No they didn't say. I asked them on their Facebook page and haven't heard back. It seems like a real big outfit, they have 2 big processors and do semi truck loads even.

The kiln we have is a Woodmizer unit as well. I'm not sure of the model #. It has a 240v heater, dehumidifier and several fans (all are controlled by a computer).

Lumber is of course going to be dried more, so firewood wouldn't be so bad, but I don't think it's doable in 3 days to 15-20% moisture.

I'm looking at cutting 20-30 cords this winter to sell for next year at $100/cord more than the normal wood. It'll be anyone's guess if people are willing to pay.

? ok so why wouldn't an insulated rail road box car work as a kiln ? load with a bobcat/pellet forks, 55'/60' long enough to hold 30 cord plus! so what if it took a month to dry ! heated with end pieces/junk wood from a outdoor boiler and auto/moisture operated fan! saw mills always have a no ending supply of junk wood to get rid of!

Sure it's doable. Just don't have the $20k to buy a Connex and boiler setup (plus a way to vent/dehumidify).
If it works out that the seasoned wood sells well next year (air drying it in vented bulk bags) I may consider investing in a kiln setup.

Most of the junk wood is used to heat the shop. We bonfire the branches, splinters, sawdust that's mixed with junk (the clean sawdust is sold), etc. It's a pain to load into the stove and it doesn't burn well (smokes the crap out of the neighborhood!)

What place is that? I'm in Jersey and there is a pretty slick outfit about 25 -30 minutes from me that does everything indoors.

Not to be a stickler for details but........On the firewood side "kiln Dried" is just a marketing ploy....... with no standard....like "all natural". I can drive a pallet of firewood through a kiln at high speeds and call it "kiln dried" and sell it for more because people think it is "seasoned" or bug and disease free. "Heat treated" is a USDA standard and the standard that is used most often is to heat the wood so that the core reaches 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees F) for 60 minutes or 40 minutes at 160 degrees F. The operation has to be verified, recorded and tested on a regular basis by the USDA. The process can generally be done in 3 days or less and is not meant to dry the wood but kill all the stuff living in it....many states have "moving" laws that require you keep the firewood within a certain distance of where it is cut or "heat treat" it.

So I can market my firewood as "all Natural, kiln dried, gluten free, No MSG or saturated fat, real firewood sourced from 100% Trees made in the US using a process that ensures no dolphins were harmed in any way" and a certain percentage of tree huggers will pay more for it

Not to be a stickler for details but........On the firewood side "kiln Dried" is just a marketing ploy....... with no standard....like "all natural". I can drive a pallet of firewood through a kiln at high speeds and call it "kiln dried" and sell it for more because people think it is "seasoned" or bug and disease free. "Heat treated" is a USDA standard and the standard that is used most often is to heat the wood so that the core reaches 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees F) for 60 minutes or 40 minutes at 160 degrees F. The operation has to be verified, recorded and tested on a regular basis by the USDA. The process can generally be done in 3 days or less and is not meant to dry the wood but kill all the stuff living in it....many states have "moving" laws that require you keep the firewood within a certain distance of where it is cut or "heat treat" it.

So I can market my firewood as "all Natural, kiln dried, gluten free, No MSG or saturated fat, real firewood sourced from 100% Trees made in the US using a process that ensures no dolphins were harmed in any way" and a certain percentage of tree huggers will pay more for it
it's about time someone really knows the truth! thanks for sharing !

I never sell by the pile or form a pile. I always stack it 5 high x16 long with 16 to 18'' average splits.
I give an extra foot in height to make up for the short length. No one wants 24'' wood. Max is 18'' so the stack needs to be a little bigger then a standard 24'' stack.

Latest posts

Back