What am I doing wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8' X 5' x 1.5' (18") = 60 cf 8' x 5' x 1.3' (16") = 52 cf cord = 128 cf

I'm sure you're way over a lot of sellers, but looks like you're actually a bit light.

18'' pieces only short you 6'' off the ends. The extra foot in height would just about make up the difference.
I cut whatever length people want. ~98% is 16", the only 2% is 12, 14, 18, or 24".

I put in short pieces. I just stack it together, so 2 ~8" pieces for example, or toss the piece on as extra. If I'm at the end of a log I'll usually make 2 12" pieces vs a 16" and 8".

I sell the drop offs as chunk wood. For a discount of course. It gets rid of my junk and gives people a cheaper option.

a9og2x.jpg

18'' pieces only short you 6'' off the ends. The extra foot in height would just about make up the difference.

I sell the drop offs as chunk wood. For a discount of course. It gets rid of my junk and gives people a cheaper option.

a9og2x.jpg

Several years ago I wasn't putting the shorts in with orders. I couldn't even GIVE away the piles of short pieces.

I ended up bonfiring most of it.

I cut whatever length people want. ~98% is 16", the only 2% is 12, 14, 18, or 24".

I put in short pieces. I just stack it together, so 2 ~8" pieces for example, or toss the piece on as extra. If I'm at the end of a log I'll usually make 2 12" pieces vs a 16" and 8".

My overs/unders if they exceed 1" from 16" go on my 'uglies' pile and I burn them first each season. I don't fool around trying to stack them.

I'm not trying to argue, but math says it takes 1.5' to really makeup the difference. If your customers are happy and impressed with the quantity I reckon all is good.

I'm not trying to argue, but math says it takes 1.5' to really makeup the difference. If your customers are happy and impressed with the quantity I reckon all is good.

It's very simple. I stack all my wood in measured amounts That I think is fare. It's pick only, They can look at the stack, measure it, touch it, smell it. If They like what they see they buy it. If not, thanks for looking, have a nice day. I never call my wood stacks a measured amount. I don't call it a cord, face cord, rick or any know measured amount. I sell it buy the stack. I give the measurements of the stack. For example. 5'x16'x18'' stack of firewood for sale, for x amount of money.
The key word is stack, not cord. My ads don't say cords, it says stack.

It's very simple. I stack all my wood in measured amounts That I think is fare. It's pick only, They can look at the stack, measure it, touch it, smell it. If They like what they see they buy it. If not, thanks for looking, have a nice day. I never call my wood stacks a measured amount. I don't call it a cord, face cord, rick or any know measured amount. I sell it buy the stack. I give the measurements of the stack. For example. 5'x16'x18'' stack of firewood for sale, for x amount of money.
The key word is stack, not cord. My ads don't say cords, it says stack.
Fair enough. In the off chance I buy wood from someone, I'll do the math and figure out if it's worth the money.

Several years ago I wasn't putting the shorts in with orders. I couldn't even GIVE away the piles of short pieces.

I ended up bonfiring most of it.

I even sell the ugly's (junk wood) the rotted punked out junk as camp wood. I sell it cheap and I never have to burn it or haul it away.
I sell every scrap for something, I don't wast any of it. I always get campers that love cheap ugly wood for camp fires. There not interested in pretty wood, they like cheap wood. Witch works out great for me, they buy my junk too. I advertise it as camp wood for $75.00 a pickup load thrown in. I try to encourage them to buy by the truck load. If my pile gets too big I'll drop the price just to get rid of it. For me there just buying my junk, but at least I get something for it and I don't have to dispose of it.

Fair enough. In the off chance I buy wood from someone, I'll do the math and figure out if it's worth the money.

Most people don't even know what a cord is. I have to do a lot of educating. Everyone that comes in buys wood. Almost never does someone drive off empty handed. I get a lot of customer's that were recommended buy other customer's. My feed back reviews are very positive. My pet peav is keeping my wood yard neat and tidy. ALL my wood is stacked off the ground and in nice measured amounts. None of my wood sits for more then a year without being sold. I sell all I can produce. I have not heard of one single negative review from anyone. I try to stick to bbq quality wood. Quality is job one with me. I sell more bbq wood then firewood.
The only wood I sell from a pile is the camp wood. If it's not in a stack, I don't sell it.

Now you guys are starting to talk my language "camp wood"....that is my entire market....and not with "ugglies". all Oak 17 -19 inches...less than 20% moisture, split small and medium to help start the camp fire and keep it going. I think your definition of "camper" differs from mine.....a Pick-up full of wood to take camping is your customer while mine in the "Glamper" in the 200K RV who buys by the stick or the guy who would rather fill his trunk with beer rather than wood.

I have thousands of dollars in inventory seasoning. Money that maybe could be better used. I'm beginning to think that a natural gas heat treating kiln might be a good idea for one or two weeks ahead special orders only. Get enough pre orders for a full run, 72 hours later, ready to go. Do away with seasoning and pre -split wood inventory completely, or keep just enough on hand for one or two kiln runs, and 20-40 cord of logs on hand at most.
I have four customers that heat with wood. The rest are vacation rental, or second home fireplace burners, and backyard fire pits. Possibly heat treat bundles and whole sale to someone else who wants to deal with distribution, like the vacation management type that cater to that clientele. No headache good service trumps price. (That might require a small storage area to bundle and keep them dry.)
I ran the idea by my wife. "You want to buy a kiln?"
The look said it all.

I have thousands of dollars in inventory seasoning. Money that maybe could be better used. I'm beginning to think that a natural gas heat treating kiln might be a good idea for one or two weeks ahead special orders only. Get enough pre orders for a full run, 72 hours later, ready to go. Do away with seasoning and pre -split wood inventory completely, or keep just enough on hand for one or two kiln runs, and 20-40 cord of logs on hand at most.
I have four customers that heat with wood. The rest are vacation rental, or second home fireplace burners, and backyard fire pits. Possibly heat treat bundles and whole sale to someone else who wants to deal with distribution, like the vacation management type that cater to that clientele. No headache good service trumps price. (That might require a small storage area to bundle and keep them dry.)
I ran the idea by my wife. "You want to buy a kiln?"
The look said it all.
The orders come in, you fire up the splitter but a bearing fails, or in a moment of madness you pour straight gas into your chainsaw and it seizes, or the packfix runs out of netting or breaks down, or a family member has an emergency and needs your help, etc, etc. That inventory oif split wood is a mighty good cushion/wriggle room rather than the pressure of just-in-time production.

I'm 64. Too old to be intimidated. I live within my means, my bills get paid, no pressure.
Someone else's lack of planning...Can you deliver today? Maybe I can, maybe I can't.
Break downs? Hmmm
The only sleep I loose is from taking steroids for my ear. I lost hearing in one ear suddenly, a couple weeks ago. Getting it checked again Friday.
Balance is good.
What you say is true, but inventory really ties up a lot of money (And space I'm running short of. I have a guy coming in a week to dig out some small stumps and top soil, and haul in a bit more gravel to make room for maybe five more rows of pallets, or thirty cord. Doubt it will pay off in the long run but doing it anyway to square up the space, keep pallets drier, and mud off the gravel that is already there.)
Have not priced one out, but I guess a kiln would also tie up some money if done right.
No idea what it would cost to run one for three days or millions of BTU consumed per running.)
We have natural gas at the road, and that sounds like it is the most efficient/reliable/trackable results for regular use.
Just thinking out loud and seeing what bounces back. Thanks KiwiBro

All i know is that natural gas is cheap and if I had it I'm not sure I'd burn wood. I'd have all gas appliances too. Electric isn't cheap. Propane and fuel oil are not cheap that cheap either. If you are going to kiln dry wood then natural gas is ur best bet.

All i know is that natural gas is cheap and if I had it I'm not sure I'd burn wood. I'd have all gas appliances too. Electric isn't cheap. Propane and fuel oil are not cheap that cheap either. If you are going to kiln dry wood then natural gas is ur best bet.

There may be several reasons why someone would want or need to kiln dry wood. However it creates more work and expense.
More material handling, cost of kiln and cost of operation. I like having inventory ready to go whenever someone comes in.
Split wood seasons faster and it keeps longer. There are time when I run low or even out of some types of wood and it always looks bad and cost me money not having wood ready to sell.
I have plenty of room to stack and sit on wood till it's ready to go.
I also think customer's like seeing and buying from a place that always has what they need in stock.
As I get older I like doing most of my work when the weather is not so hot. Our summers are brutal so I like to lay low in the summer.

Back