what am i missing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickg53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I changed out the cat muffler on my 353 E-tech for a non cat and welded a half inch id pipe to the left side for a new exhaust. The piece of pipe is roughly 1 inch long. I placed the new set up back on the saw so I could start it up and re tune the carburetor but I could just barley pull the pull start. I tried multiple attempts at starting the saw but i got nothing. Worried about damaging the saw i stopped. Just to make sure that it was the new muffler and not something else I put the old cat muffler back on it pulled and fired up just as easily as it always does. So what did I do wrong

Also any suggestions for placing the spark arrestor on the new exhaust or do I not need one?

Thanks

is there cover over the inlet on the new muffler? maybe a flaw of some kind.

Hardly being able to pull the pull cord to start sounds like extremely high compression which would indicate the exhaust being blocked somehow. This is a stumper since you say everything is clear. Just to make sure the non-cat muffler you bought was just an empty muffler with no baffles inside? And you left the original top exhaust port open?

compressions happens before exhaust opens.

I would aim toward mechanical. Are the screws too long, is the new muffler thinner, so screws go through and drag on flywheel, starter, chain, sprocket,
is the plastic pushed into the mechanical parts differently. liquid fuel in the crankcase ran into cylinder when tilted to install muffler, something dragging on the engine or starter.

Put the new problem muffler on, verify the problem is there again, then start removing it in stages. loosen bolts a turn, remove one bracket or bolt , remove a plastic. Whatever you did in changing from 'no problems' to 'problems', go backwards on exactly the same path one small step at a time until something changes.

The mechanical angle makes sense but I would assume you are using the same bolts and going thru the bracket the same way. A quick comparison of the two mufflers side by side should let you know if the mufflers are the same depth.

A thought I just had however was maybe the muffler deformed enough from the heat during welding of the pipe to cause the modded muffler to now be a significant bit smaller allowing the bolts to go too far in? Just a thought.

The mechanical angle makes sense but I would assume you are using the same bolts and going thru the bracket the same way. A quick comparison of the two mufflers side by side should let you know if the mufflers are the same depth.

A thought I just had however was maybe the muffler deformed enough from the heat during welding of the pipe to cause the modded muffler to now be a significant bit smaller allowing the bolts to go too far in? Just a thought.

heat makes metal expand not shrink

compressions happens before exhaust opens.

I would aim toward mechanical. Are the screws too long, is the new muffler thinner, so screws go through and drag on flywheel, starter, chain, sprocket,
is the plastic pushed into the mechanical parts differently. liquid fuel in the crankcase ran into cylinder when tilted to install muffler, something dragging on the engine or starter.

Put the new problem muffler on, verify the problem is there again, then start removing it in stages. loosen bolts a turn, remove one bracket or bolt , remove a plastic. Whatever you did in changing from 'no problems' to 'problems', go backwards on exactly the same path one small step at a time until something changes.

I had that happen to me on my 066, I took the top shroud off and when putting it back in I didn't put the shortest screw over the connection of the flywheel and it actually was in the space of 2 fins and wouldn't turn, I thought WTF is wrong with this thing, easy fix though after you figure it out.:cheers:

Could you check bolt length being too long on the new muffler by not putting them in tight initially? Leave the bolts out a half inch or so and check starting. If it's ok, work them in a bit at a time and find the point where it binds. If it's just the last little bit in where it binds, can you put a few spacers on the outside to keep it from going in too far?

Could you check bolt length being too long on the new muffler by not putting them in tight initially? Leave the bolts out a half inch or so and check starting. If it's ok, work them in a bit at a time and find the point where it binds. If it's just the last little bit in where it binds, can you put a few spacers on the outside to keep it from going in too far?

see there in lies the problem I have run the saw with the new non cat muffler before it was modified and it worked no problem now that it is modified is where I am having trouble. There is no loose parts or anything jammed in it and the bolts are the same ones I have always used.

I was wondering could my pipe be to long?

see there in lies the problem I have run the saw with the new non cat muffler before it was modified and it worked no problem now that it is modified is where I am having trouble. There is no loose parts or anything jammed in it and the bolts are the same ones I have always used.

I was wondering could my pipe be to long?

Did you close the original muffler opening? Does not look like it.

Post some photos of the back of the muffler and as best of a photo of the inside of it through the muffler inlet.

It would be really really sad if that pipe was toooooo long. It is not.

How far into the muffler does the pipe go?

Does the muffler have internal baffles?

Was the muffler gasket/shield mounted correctly?

Have you tried it again?

Did you close the original muffler opening? Does not look like it.

Post some photos of the back of the muffler and as best of a photo of the inside of it through the muffler inlet.

It would be really really sad if that pipe was toooooo long. It is not.

How far into the muffler does the pipe go?

Does the muffler have internal baffles?

Was the muffler gasket/shield mounted correctly?

Have you tried it again?

How far is the pipe supposed to go into the muffler

OK great I got it not sure what the problem was but its working now. Sound great, as far as adjusting the carburetor it does not seem like it needs a heck of a lot of adjusting. It idles just fine, accelerates quickly and burbles nicely even at high speed. I am just not sure if it is running at its top speed or not so with out a tachometer I wont know. Just got to throw some high heat spray paint on it and its good to go.

Does any one have any ideas for attaching the spark arrestor screen to the muffler for my setup or do I not even need it at all?

Thanks for everyones help.
Enjoy the pics.

Latest posts

Back