What angle to grind for Ripping (.325)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostWater

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Don't blast me for liking .325 before hearing me out.

.325 is a narrower kerf (at least in my saws) and more teeth, so it will cut smoother and make it less able to take my hand off.

Here is the deal, I am considering getting an alaskan mill. I would like to know what angle to grind my chain to make them a ripping chain, also, should I use chains that last longer but cost twice as much as the oregon chains.

Should I use a half skip chain, or a full skip, or a no skip? I have an oregon grinder, so I hope it can do the grinding for a ripping chain.

I figured it out sometime ago - at least in my own experience, I can buy oregon chains for $11.75 and Stihl chains I can't get below $22 (at least locally). The oregon chains last me about 3/4 as long as the stihl chains, but they are cheaper. So I buy Oregon.

Any help would be appreciated.,

Thanks,

Mark
Christiansburg, VA

Oregon .325

I had not noticed before, but the Oregon .325 & .404 ripping chain are “micro-chisel”, but the 3/8’s is semi chisel. Micro seems like it might be a good compromise for ripping chain.

Last edited:
Try to find Carlton or Windsor full chisel, full comp ( no skip ) if you are looking for .325 to make your own milling chain. They have slightly longer cutters than other brands, an important consideration when you are removing 20% of the tooth right off the bat. Also, they are good chain at a good price, especially Windsor. Start out by filing it to 10 deg, then 5, then 0, and see what works best. .325 will take your hand off just as quick as any other chain, but it will leave a slightly narrower kerf.

Good luck,
George

Latest posts

Back