What are the BIG saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slideleft

Reaction score
Hello group,
I'm not a wood guy (now), but am looking to buy a big saw to be used for a chainsaw powered vehicle I'm building. Yeah, I know its stupid. I played with a friend's 090 which I liked (though the prices and parts seem high), but what are the other big saws I should be considering (current and past)? What should be avoided? Does anyone have one of these they would like to sell? I don't need bar/ handle, project okay.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff M.

A big saw is a Stihl 088 or 066. There are others of course and I'm sure you'll find something. I've been on this site for a few weeks and can insure you came to the right place. These guys should be able to find you all sorts of saws. I just wanted to say, "it dosn't sound stupid to me". Espeically after the part about not needing the bar and chain. Do think of us when you get this thing together and post a picture. Maybe sending this thread over to chainsaws might help too. Good luck!

I'd look for an 088/880. This saw is still readily available, as are parts. The 090 is a gem, but as you mentioned, parts and general availability can be an issue. I don't know how much hp you're looking for, but the 066/660 is 7.8 or thereabouts with the dual port muffler cover installed. That oughtta be enough for a go-cart type thing. It' less expensive than the 088, but the 88 is as large as they come for Stihl right now. There's Husky's as well of course. 3120....

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Big chainsaw motors are a lot of $$$ for the displacement. They are built to be light, and run at WOT only.

If you are building a vehicle heavier than (maybe) 50 lbs, then it's probably easier to go with a heavier, cheaper, bigger engine and save the weight by smart thinking in the chassis/wheels/drivetrain.

sawn_penn said:
Big chainsaw motors are a lot of $$$ for the displacement. They are built to be light, and run at WOT only.

If you are building a vehicle heavier than (maybe) 50 lbs, then it's probably easier to go with a heavier, cheaper, bigger engine and save the weight by smart thinking in the chassis/wheels/drivetrain.

My thoughts as well, but...

slideleft said:
Yeah, I know its stupid.

Which is why I didn't ask why he wasn't considering something like a 4 stroke Briggs. :laugh:

Back