What are the most comfortable climbing spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found its personal preferance, I have a few different sets for me and my guys and no matter how they are adjusted, we have sets that best suit each of us and find othes unwearable. Saying that I have only tried about 4 differnt sets so you might get better adivice

Only ever worn steel spikes, Buck/Klein, but the Big Buck pads with the steel insert are pretty comfy IMO.

I like the buck wraps. If anyone is interested, I have a set of the alum pads with foam that are brand new that I would like to sell for $50.00

i like klein, buckinghams arent bad, i do not care for the newer lightweight models
i also like small pads without the steel insert and i like straps not velcro
the key is adjusting them right, if they arent set right theyre going to hurt your legs
i havent had any i couldnt adjust so they didnt hurt, i just didnt like the way they worked for me
new spikes will come with adjustment and sharpening instructions, keep your spikes sharp

You find the steel insert more comfortable than the regular velcro padded wraps?

I do find the steel more comfortable than the velcro wraps I have worn. The one thing that may be a problem for some guys with the Big Bucks w/the steel, is that they may be tough to get snug if your calves are on the smaller side.

I do find the steel more comfortable than the velcro wraps I have worn. The one thing that may be a problem for some guys with the Big Bucks w/the steel, is that they may be tough to get snug if your calves are on the smaller side.

What makes them better?How are the steel inserts more comfortable ,more support spread out?

What makes them better?How are the steel inserts more comfortable ,more support spread out?

i spose its a matter of preference, i dont think theyre better
i also dont like velcro
i have used the steel inserts tho, they eliminate the play where you strap it to your calf

I measured my leg and bought the carbon fiber geckos and would probably cry if they stopped making them. i used steel for so long that now thies are just the cats ass. The only reason i got them was they where a XMAS present. i get tree stuff for xmas. Im so cheap i cant buy stuff intill it breaks. I still have all my original ropes in shorter pieces i use to drag stuff with. i got a pile of ropes that are my beater ropes.

I Told the wife to get me a smaller husky saw this year to run while in the bucket or climbing. it will be the first husky saw i will have ever run. i started at 16-17 and have since then not picked up another saw other than a stihl.

well wait i used a wild thing once screwing around and still cant feel my hands from it.

I measured my leg and bought the carbon fiber geckos and would probably cry if they stopped making them. i used steel for so long that now thies are just the cats ass. The only reason i got them was they where a XMAS present. i get tree stuff for xmas. Im so cheap i cant buy stuff intill it breaks. I still have all my original ropes in shorter pieces i use to drag stuff with. i got a pile of ropes that are my beater ropes.

I Told the wife to get me a smaller husky saw this year to run while in the bucket or climbing. it will be the first husky saw i will have ever run. i started at 16-17 and have since then not picked up another saw other than a stihl.

well wait i used a wild thing once screwing around and still cant feel my hands from it.
I had homelites back in the day and they can ruin your hands!How comfortable are the Geckos?

I had homelites back in the day and they can ruin your hands!How comfortable are the Geckos?

I can wear them for hours upon hours vers the old steel ones the steel shaft always rode around on my leg right under my knee in my calf muscle causing discomfort. i also climb better with them im never reaching down and re adjusting. i like the way the gaff itself is shaped also i find it easier to go out horizontal limbs when the tie in is low and i cant use it to my advantage.

I can wear them for hours upon hours vers the old steel ones the steel shaft always rode around on my leg right under my knee in my calf muscle causing discomfort. i also climb better with them im never reaching down and re adjusting. i like the way the gaff itself is shaped also i find it easier to go out horizontal limbs when the tie in is low and i cant use it to my advantage.

Interesting so they dont hurt your shins like the others?I guess they are not adjustable thats why you have to measure them.Are the non carbon fiber ones using the same pad system?Would the cheaper ones be as comfortable or is there a difference beside weight?

Last edited:
No they definitely don't put as much pressure on my shins as regular t pads do. The regular ones are just as good just the weight difference. I used the regular ones for a few years when I worked at bartlett that's what they provided me with. Loved them
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I Have a pair of Aluminum Geckos. They are adjustable for heigth. As far as comfotable.... I have been known to wear them over sneakers for rare short climbs with the hand saw on small removals. With good boots, you can stand on them in real comfort.
Rick

They all suck butt I find that what you wear for boots, socks and cutting pants beneath the leg irons makes a great deal of difference in comfort. Also a lace knot in a bad spot can suck. Oh and having the irons cranked on to your leg is NOT I say again NOT the way they should be worn. If you cut the circulation off to your feet that are already begging for mercy that's kinda stupid don't you think. Get a good pair of Viberg's or other high top boots with a steel shank and make sure the irons are adjusted to the proper length. If you can't be in a tree for a full day without hospitalization then sumpins not right!

Back