What are the most comfortable climbing spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all suck butt I find that what you wear for boots...... Get a good pair of Viberg's or other high top boots with a steel shank and make sure the irons are adjusted to the proper length. If you can't be in a tree for a full day without hospitalization then sumpins not right!

I will second the opinion for Vibergs I just got a pair of linemans a few months ago and I will never going back to anything else you barely feel that you're standing in the spurs. I have the buck Ti with the buck super pads and like them but I would like to try some other pads like the velcro deals with the shin cup.

I have klien spurs with the Velcro pads with the steel inserts. The kind that wrap back onto themselves so you can really snug them up. They are also available where they just wrap around. You can not get these tight and not recommended. But the ones that wrap back on themselves are the best I've used.

I have klien spurs with the Velcro pads with the steel inserts. The kind that wrap back onto themselves so you can really snug them up. They are also available where they just wrap around. You can not get these tight and not recommended. But the ones that wrap back on themselves are the best I've used.

What is the exact name of that pad?

I just looked at the buckingham website. Models 3502C is what I have. They are made for buckingham climbers but I modified the climbers to fit. I see they also make the same pads 3502CKL for kleins. Oh well. The angled metal insert and cinch strap is key. I've used old school pads with one strap, two straps, wolfclaw climbers, the first Velcro climbers that just wrapped around with no steel insert and velcro with the straight metal insert with no cinch loop. The one I'm suggesting is the best by far in my opinion. But if you look at the website they now have the Big Buck Wrap Pad #3202C. If I had to spend all day in spurs these look like the ones.

I just looked at the buckingham website. Models 3502C is what I have. They are made for buckingham climbers but I modified the climbers to fit. I see they also make the same pads 3502CKL for kleins. Oh well. The angled metal insert and cinch strap is key. I've used old school pads with one strap, two straps, wolfclaw climbers, the first Velcro climbers that just wrapped around with no steel insert and velcro with the straight metal insert with no cinch loop. The one I'm suggesting is the best by far in my opinion. But if you look at the website they now have the Big Buck Wrap Pad #3202C. If I had to spend all day in spurs these look like the ones.

The Big Bucks look good I ,may add them to my Titanium climbers.:clap:

Komet Spikes
Komet Spikes & Wolf-Claw Tree Climbing Spurs
I tried these once.

very light very comfortable ,

I was wondering about those komets... they sure are proud of em for that price.

I was also wondering about the wolf-claw ones. Has anyone had the chance to try those? They seem backwards as hell to me, I can't imagine them being comfortable at all.

I climb on buckinghams with t pads and I am strongly considering upgrading to geckos and handing the bucks off to one of my other climbers. I tried the geckos once when I was a newbie climber. I was in hiking boots and they didn't bother me all day.

i wear redwing loggers and use steel klein spikes and tee pads currently (i prefer the smaller leather pads but they didnt have them when i needed them) and i can stand in them all day and it doesnt bother me, spikes need to be adjusted right or no matter what brand you have theyre going to hurt your legs
theres a reason they adjust in 1/8 inch intervals
find a pair you like and stick with them, ive tried other brands and most feel so foreign they feel clumsy
ive heard very mixed reviews about the wolf-claws, never seen them myself
one thing that does bug me a little with the kleins is i need to walk on my toes across pavement to keep from dulling them up and if i have to go from the tree to a roof ever i just remove them so i dont create leaks

Tired a bunch of sets and and my alum. geckos are the most comfy so far. Alum. bashlins with the steel insert velcro wrap would be be second favorite. My only beef with that style of pads and same with my geckos is how much you sweat under there, you take em off and got two lines of sweat around you leg.

Since the set i learned on was the steel insert velcro wrap pads i disliked any leather t or L pads i have ever tried and my boss has the wrap without the insert now and i i dont like how the shank moves a bit on those.

Edit: good boots do make a difference

My Big Bucks are the non-velcro and it seems the the velcro version would be the cats pajamas so to speak. The great thing about velcro pads is the ease of taking them on and off IMO.

Back