What are these black spots on my wood under the glue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks! It’s so heavy it’s hard to move so that would be a lot of work. I’m thinking seal the top also with the anchor seal maybe. I’ll buy some if they have it at Home Depot today. Gota go there anyway. I definitely don’t want it cupping and that’s why it’s thick. I’m a bit worried there drying at different rates but if the plastic cover don’t let it breath much I’m probably ok as long as I don’t get mold. Thanks again for the letting me know

Ok thanks! It’s so heavy it’s hard to move so that would be a lot of work. I’m thinking seal the top also with the anchor seal maybe. I’ll buy some if they have it at Home Depot today. Gota go there anyway. I definitely don’t want it cupping and that’s why it’s thick. I’m a bit worried there drying at different rates but if the plastic cover don’t let it breath much I’m probably ok as long as I don’t get mold. Thanks again for the letting me know

If you seal it won't dry at all. Just do ends

Anchorseal end coat

anchor seal dealers near portland or > Woodcraft of Portland 12020 SW Main Street Tigard OR 97223 USA

Once you cut the wood, it's a whole second job that most people dont know about to dry the wood so it doesn't crack and twist. I'm pretty new to this, but I've already had checking all over the faces of some white oak slabs, black mold just like what you have in your pictures, and cupping. If you are going to use the wood before it's dried, I would screw a couple angle rails on the bottom across the grain to help stop the whole slab from cupping.

Ok thanks for the tip.im going to be testing this end sealer on some cookie cut coasters that are green. I’m hoping the end sealer will withstand some liquids on them without softening. If that works good I’ll put a light coat on the table since I don’t have few buddy’s around right now to help me take it back off to sand the glue off the back side5FFC65A5-0615-4204-9C36-6E20418FF268.jpegappleE746C65C-8DD9-4ECB-940D-E77E168FE66D.jpeg6E9A78E6-9B7C-42ED-A074-2B173C4EF39D.jpeg6F765221-8C6E-473C-8F85-3642CA7F030F.jpegthe cherry was extremely wet and it didn’t work as well on it didnt seem like

Back